Options

New yellow Lab puppy - help!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,381
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just popped in to give some advice, but see you have already been given great advice. However - just remember to be patient :) The more work you put in training your pup, the more fulfilled you will feel :)

And your puppy is GOREGEOUS! Soooo sweet in the snoozing pic! I really want a yellow lab myself :D Good luck.
  • Options
    SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    What a cutie! :)

Put her bed and food and water in there, and she'll be less likely to mess in the night.

When she's clean a few nights in a row, and when she's a bit older, you can start leaving the door open. When she stays clean a while longer, she can have a proper bed and will no longer need the crate.

Enjoy your pup :)
  • Options
    technology_lovetechnology_love Posts: 3,179
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tink07 wrote: »
    Just popped in to give some advice, but see you have already been given great advice. However - just remember to be patient :) The more work you put in training your pup, the more fulfilled you will feel :)

And your puppy is GOREGEOUS! Soooo sweet in the snoozing pic! I really want a yellow lab myself :D Good luck.

Thanks Tink07 - we love her to bits.
    My first post was a bit of a rant to start, I'd just had a bad night.

She's fast asleep at the bottom of the stairs now, with Buster our rescue cat giving her a good stare! :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What a cutie! :)

Enjoy your pup :)

:D:D:D
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree! That old myth that people think it works should be thrown out!

Lol it isnt a myth at all. You know dogs mark territory with urine.

If you don't like the idea of putting a bit of urine on your pup's nose then soak a rag with the urine and move that and the pup to the place you want him to wee instead.

Squeamish lot :p
  • Options
    JaxxfanJaxxfan Posts: 1,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When she's clean a few nights in a row, and when she's a bit older, you can start leaving the door open. When she stays clean a while longer, she can have a proper bed and will no longer need the crate.

My dog is two and a half now and he still uses his crate every night. He puts himself in it at around 10pm and doesn't come out until 7am the next day. We will always keep his crate as it gives him the option.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see how a dog sees a crate as a place of his/her own - so far so good!
  • Options
    lorrylorry Posts: 2,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Awww she's so cute! What's her name?
  • Options
    JaxxfanJaxxfan Posts: 1,914
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can see how a dog sees a crate as a place of his/her own - so far so good!

That's excellent news! Your pup may cry a bit tonight but I really think tomorrow will be a different story :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,760
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What an adorable gorgeous puppy! I am so jealous!
  • Options
    PorcupinePorcupine Posts: 25,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh my god, she is just snoggable. I want to give those cheeks a squeeze and kiss her to death.

Don't you just love puppies. Its a shame when they grow up :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lorry wrote: »
    Awww she's so cute! What's her name?

Her name is Bobby

Not my first choice name but she's an Xmas pressie for my fiance so she got the final say (her grandad's first puppy name).

We're off to bed now and she's in her crate sleeping......will report back in the morning on how it goes.

Night night :sleep:
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 582
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Her name is Bobby

Not my first choice name but she's an Xmas pressie for my fiance so she got the final say (her grandad's first puppy name).

We're off to bed now and she's in her crate sleeping......will report back in the morning on how it goes.

Night night :sleep:

Congrats on the little lab :)

My black 1 is 4 this year, all the advice on here has been great and i won't lie to you , they are hard hard work. Once trained though they are amazing ! as i said mine is 4 and she is still daft as a brush :D Her being a puppy has actually put me off ever having a pup again i won't scare you with the horror stories though:D

One good thing though , your little new baby will be a walk in the park to a puppy lab. If you can do that you can do anything!!

Also mine is amazing with my kids ,i got her when my daughter was 4 , my son has just turned a year old and she's scared of him :D so its all good.

If i can ever help with any advice just pm if you like.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again, a massive thanks to everyone who has posted.

Update:

Got a crate from Argos - medium sized crate which is perfect for the puppy. Its absolutely brialliant! She's been in it loads of time and I think this will make a huge improvement.

We're ready for the first night in it tonight. :eek: :D

And since I've had such helpful posts, here are some pictures :)

Please let me know if the links don't work, hopefully I've done it right!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f141/pileyrei/Bobby001.jpg
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f141/pileyrei/Bobby002.jpg
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f141/pileyrei/Bobby003.jpg

TL

Awww she's adorable! Does she do that thing where she lays down with both hind legs stretched out straight behind her? My dog always did that as a puppy. :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 460
    Forum Member
    You've had tons of advice, much of it conflicting which must be confusing for you!

I'm a professional dog trainer, and have a puppy of my own so I'll share some of my experiences and some of the info I give out in class
    Teaching the dog to associate urine with the newspaper is not unkind and expediates training.
    That hasn't been my experience at all. Doing ANYTHING unpleasant to a dog during housetraining can teach them to never go to the toilet in front of you. That's why so many people can be standing in the garden for hours with the pup just mooching about, then come in and the pup goes off to go in secret.

Paper training just confuses dogs. Sometimes they are allowed to go indoors and sometimes they aren't. The best thing to do is be consistent from day one. Take the puppy outside after waking, after playing, after eating, after drinking and every hour in between. Stand with the puppy and wait for her to perform, then praise and reward with a little game before coming indoors. Don't play with your pup until she has been to the toilet.

Look out for tell tale signs such as sniffing the floor and circling, when you see that take the pup out where you want her to toilet and praise when she does.

If she has an accident and you see her, distract her by calling her name or clapping your hands, and rush her outside. Praise lavishly when she finishes in the right place.

If she has an accidnet and you didn't see it, then chastise yourself for not supervising her properly, and clean it up quietly and thoroughly (either buy the special stuff from pet shops or clean with biological washing powder and then blot with white spirit).
    My vet told me you should just leave them when they cry at night, it is the only way they learn, and they will stop eventually when they realise no one will come.
    Vets are not qualified to advise on behaviour.

I find the 'ignore them' approach pretty unpleasant. The puppy has been taken away from her mother and siblings and suddenly finds herself in a new home with new people. Why not make that transition easier?

I crate pups in the bedroom, when they wake in the night and need the toilet I can take them out and speed house training up that way. When they are able to sleep through the night, they already feel safe in their crate so I move it slowly downstairs. Start off on the landing for a couple of nights, then in the hallway downstairs, and then working towards the kitchen where I want them to sleep. They've never cried because it's been a gradual move when they are ready.

I would recommend to the OP you get booked into a puppy class as soon as possible. Talking to other puppy owners as well as the trainer is great therapy during the first stressful months!

As an aside, I know I'm a professional but my pup had about 3 accidents indoors in his entire life. Every single one was when I wasn't paying enough attention.

Rubbing their nose in it is a horrible thing to do. It doesn't teach them anything, and if you do that with faeces you can actually harm them because it blocks their nasal passages.

While adult dogs DO use urine to scent mark, pups don't and they actually have an instinct from a young age to keep their nest clean and to toilet away from it. Puppies are vulnerable from predators and have no wish to announce their presence.

The reason some of these house training myths lasted as long as they did is because a dogs instinct to keep the nest clean meant they eventually housetrained themselves anyway, in spite of the dodgy training not because of it!

Crates are useful for house training, but don't abuse them! Don't leave the pup shut in for hours while you go out.

Ian Dunbars puppy book is great (if a little over dramatic!) and you can currently download it free, but only in January I think, so hurry up!

http://dogstardaily.com/training/after-you-get-your-puppy
  • Options
    PIDGASPIDGAS Posts: 3,834
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lol it isnt a myth at all. You know dogs mark territory with urine.

If you don't like the idea of putting a bit of urine on your pup's nose then soak a rag with the urine and move that and the pup to the place you want him to wee instead.

Squeamish lot :p

What's it got to do with being squeamish? I'm not at all squeamish and that has nothing to do with it! Rubbing a puppy's nose in it's wee is cruel and frightening for the pup.

And how is soaking a rag in urine and moving it to 'the place' etc in any way comparable to rubbing the pup's nose in it? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    moogiechompymoogiechompy Posts: 618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Josie78, excellent advice, all making complete sense.

One issue we had was using newspaper / toilet training pads, we tried the pads on the first day, they were shredded in about 30 seconds, newspaper took even less time to shred. By day 2 we had binned them and persevered taking her outside and I think we had her trained quite quickly (a crate also helped at night :))

Good luck OP, your puppy is gorgeous
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,469
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Again, a massive thanks to everyone who has posted.

Update:

Got a crate from Argos - medium sized crate which is perfect for the puppy. Its absolutely brialliant! She's been in it loads of time and I think this will make a huge improvement.

We're ready for the first night in it tonight. :eek: :D

And since I've had such helpful posts, here are some pictures :)

Please let me know if the links don't work, hopefully I've done it right!

http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f141/pileyrei/Bobby001.jpg
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f141/pileyrei/Bobby002.jpg
    http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f141/pileyrei/Bobby003.jpg

TL

She is beautiful, what is her name OP?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You have behaved in a very idiotic way. Take a long look at yourself and get a grip. Particularly before this situation gets any worse. This is your responsibility so get it sorted.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rat wrote: »
    You have behaved in a very idiotic way. Take a long look at yourself and get a grip. Particularly before this situation gets any worse. This is your responsibility so get it sorted.

I don't understand this comment in relation to this thread? :confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They have a pet yet start moaning when it needs attention and care. They need a toy dog rather than a real one. Absurd.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rat wrote: »
    They have a pet yet start moaning when it needs attention and care. They need a toy dog rather than a real one. Absurd.

Well that's your opinion which you're entitled to but rather harsh I thought and also very unhelpful. In fact I thought you'd posted in the wrong thread.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    PIDGAS wrote: »
    Well that's your opinion which you're entitled to but rather harsh I thought and also very unhelpful. In fact I thought you'd posted in the wrong thread.
    II can understand asking for advice, but to me it just seemed that they were not prepared for the training that a pup requires. Perhaps I was a little harsh. Thank you for drawing that to my attention.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    I feel the pain of your first post :D

Our last dog lived to 17, so we'd long forgotten what a puppy is like (lab/collie cross)... after four nights of her howling downstairs it really starts to get to you :eek:

Two weeks in and we've got a bedtime routine to settle her and a pup sleeping through 12-7 quietly, phew! We try to keep her playing 'til about 11, then sit quietly with her in her bed and only a lamp on, then turn the lamp off for 5 minutes then sneak away ^_^

Toilet training-wise... we're getting along. We can tell when she needs to poo because of the atrocious smells she makes :eek::D Otherwise she gets rushed to the back-garden everytime she starts a'sniffing and circling. We found it useful to keep a schedule for a few days of feeding times and poo times so we can more or less know when she needs to go.
  • Options
    Smokeychan1Smokeychan1 Posts: 12,196
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    PIDGAS wrote: »
    What's it got to do with being squeamish? I'm not at all squeamish and that has nothing to do with it! Rubbing a puppy's nose in it's wee is cruel and frightening for the pup.

And how is soaking a rag in urine and moving it to 'the place' etc in any way comparable to rubbing the pup's nose in it? :rolleyes:

Ofcourse it isnt frightening, its natural for dogs to be close up and personal with urine. That's why we shouldnt try to empathise with our pets too much - they arent human beings.

The rag is comparable as it does the same job as pup's nose. It carries the smell of the dogs territory so you can control where you want him to take a wee (dogs sniff out their territory before urinating).

I can only go on my own experience with a particular breed, but using the paper/nose method has led to successful house-training in a matter of days (certainly not weeks as others ascribe to) every time. There is no argument for not training that way and I am certainly not going to dispose of a highly successful method just because some people, through ignorance, percieve it as cruel.

For the record, I have never allowed a dog in my bedroom or anywhere upstairs for that matter and my dogs have been happy and very well trained. Never had a problem yet.

I suggest if their is any confusion being caused for dogs it is by people treating them like people and not animals. Or raising them in environments not suitable for dogs. Treat them properly and be prepared to train them. You won't need the expense of a "dog trainer" if you do the job right. And as every "dog trainer" will tell you, if the dog needs outside help with behavior/training it is down to their owners and not the dogs themselves.