Thelma's Gypsy Girls - Channel 4 9pm tonight.

Comments

• AndaghaAndagha Posts: 31,212
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I sometimes wonder if some of these gypsy girls actually want to get anywhere..
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,369
    Forum Member
    This is just one long advert for Thelma.
    Forum Member
    Sweetheart you're on camera saying it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Strewth these girls are a lovely lot to know, they moan about being "threatened" by Thelma yet they willingly say they will curse someone and with the camera on them too.
    Forum Member
    I'd be fumiing if I'd paid for a dress and she'd let them play around in it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would be checking those dresses thoroughly to see if there were any damage..
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why didn't that taxi driver pull over and refuse to go any further when the girls started getting out of the car and playing up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I feel sorry for that Tony having to take that lot home. He was good in the fact that he didn't quit her contract with Thelma.
  • snoopy33snoopy33 Posts: 1,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don`t like the way Thelma re tweeted comments about Bridget last week, its bullying to me.I tweeted her & told her but she did`nt retweet it ! No surprise there then ?
  • nomad2kingnomad2king Posts: 8,415
    Forum Member
    Will any of the girls be so keen on getting the job when they have to pay their own transport costs. Especially with the distances involved. IIRC one lives 40 miles away. I assume at the moment they don't pay for the taxis.
  • nokes22nokes22 Posts: 1,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    fudbeer wrote: »
    I too am totally disgusted with the last episode,Thelma basically sidded with the bullies.Bridget worked hard helped the others and was treated like crap,all respect lost for Thelma.

^^ This and a lot of these girls seem to get away with murder! Hope Grace gets the job in the end!
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nokes22 wrote: »
    ^^ This and a lot of these girls seem to get away with murder! Hope Grace gets the job in the end!

I agree. Grace has a sensible head on her and is not as loud as some of the others. She also dresses more appropriately if Thelma wants to take her to any appointments etc..
  • Neda_TurkNeda_Turk Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    All her dresses seem to use an awful lot of glue. All they seem to do is make a basic dress and then glue everything onto that.

Is that standard dressmaking? I thought things were hand-sewn in thing that cost £1000s?

Fancy paying that sort of money and finding bits of glue everywhere.
  • Neda_TurkNeda_Turk Posts: 8,447
    Forum Member
    So they made £270 but how much of that is profit?

You have to take away the base cost plus all the cost of the added extras (ribbons and sparkles).

Then take away the cost of the stall (Not cheap) and the cost of petrol getting. (And if you have a car in the first place, then you are not poor)

So for working for hours shopping for the stuff, then the hours of work embellishing it, then all day long on a freezing market stall (If you have managed to get there) you make about £40.

And of cause on a bad day, you do all the work, spend all the money and end up making nothing!

I know it can be done, but you have to face the realities that they seemed to miss out on in this show. We can all live wonderfully if we just stand on a stall and make £270 a day, everyday, but that isn't reality.
  • topcat3topcat3 Posts: 3,109
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    nomad2king wrote: »
    Will any of the girls be so keen on getting the job when they have to pay their own transport costs. Especially with the distances involved. IIRC one lives 40 miles away. I assume at the moment they don't pay for the taxis.

I think they said 14 miles. But actually I was wondering why travellers dont get the bus? I missed the first episode was it explained?

I mean how many apprenticeships lay on taxis to get you there and back I dont think these girls realise how lucky they are
  • Jules_BaxterJules_Baxter Posts: 1,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can't believe we actually got to hear Samantha speak this week, I mean fair play to her she is probably willfully keeping her head down and out of the limelight but i'd love to know more about how she is getting on with the course, i'd like to see her and Grace get taken on as they are the only girls left with the maturity to do it.

I can't believe Thelma let those two screaming banshees that terrorised the traffic at the lights come back to work, ok she did give them quite a rollocking for it but no one in their right mind can employ people with that kind of mentality! feral! no other word for it! They shouldn't send camera crews in the taxis because it gives them a platform to act up to!

I am getting sick of seeing the sour expression that constantly mugs Shannons face! generally I could never work with people that start swearing, screaming and threatening people as easily as what most of those girls do. The experiment is a wasted exercise because Thelma took on too many headcases! Shouting and swearing at the sewing teacher on that stall was hardly good for the business!

I do like the sewing teacher, i think her attitude and personality seem fab :)

How does that Vicky get classed as been one of the more promising ones when she keeps having to start her work again or having someone do it for her!

Lastly I do think Thelma gives them false hopes and ideas as most of these girls would never have the intelligence/ability to start and run a business and they don't seem to realise that what they are earning from Thelma is not enough to set up a business with!!
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    Im actually seeing this show as big fat gypsy job rather than thelmas gypsy girls. Shes living in a dream world if she thinks this show is about her training traveller girls. Its clearly just showing future stars of bfgw in a different environment. If thelma was serious about training she could easily have spotted potential such as bridget and grace from day one, hired two or three and not done it on tv. Now she had the cameras shes forced to keep in the trouble makers to make entertainment.

Personally i would have rather seen a one off behind the scenes look at the daily runnings of the business as it was. They could have showed a consultation with a bride to be with her own dress design. Then they could show how they take the designs from paper to real life. I would have been interested to see a behind the scenes look into dressmaking and seeing how many different aspects there are to one dress being made.

From the latest show i actually liked the corset for the dress they made but wasnt so keen on the bottom bit.
  • Louise-annLouise-ann Posts: 1,110
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thelma is too easy in some of the girls, and just because they dont live like the rest of us do, doesn't mean they should get more chances, they should be seeing the real working world for what it is.
  • fiveinabedfiveinabed Posts: 1,219
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    Personally i would have rather seen a one off behind the scenes look at the daily runnings of the business as it was

A one-off show wouldn't have sold much advertising space.
    A series that's full of highs and lows and contentious characters sells much more advertising space. (That's what commercial television is about)
  • daisyduck1976daisyduck1976 Posts: 1,166
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice that the blog that Bridget did only has the two entries. One about the auditions and one rather scathing (understandably) one from after she left the show. The nosy part of me, would have liked to hear more from her.

Having caught up with the last two episodes, I am quite annoyed with Thelma. I'm a teacher myself and I do believe that you give praise where it's due, and not where it isn't. Don't get me wrong, you always want to see the best in pupils as much as you can, and always look for glimpses of potential, but you don't blanket praise a group where several have performed well-below what could reasonably be expected through their own choice.

She has a tendency to tell them how wonderful they ALL are, when that's clearly not the case. I was frankly staggered by the choices of the 4 girls to do the wedding dress. I then couldn't believe Thelma announcing that were all perfect after their time selling on the stall. They weren't all perfect. What she should have said is that they had shown themselves to be good salespeople, and that they sold well, but that some of them needed to still think about appropriate workplace behaviour i.e. not throwing chips at the head of one of your superiors, and then shouting aggressively in their face when they challenge you about it.

You cant tell people that they are perfect, and then later have a go at them for displaying the same inappropriate behaviour that was fine and called perfect a day previously.

Like a previous poster, I do wish that Thelma had taken some proper advice about how to help these girls with their behaviour. She's giving them a series of incredibly mixed messages.
  • jerseyporterjerseyporter Posts: 2,332
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I notice that the blog that Bridget did only has the two entries. One about the auditions and one rather scathing (understandably) one from after she left the show. The nosy part of me, would have liked to hear more from her.

Having caught up with the last two episodes, I am quite annoyed with Thelma. I'm a teacher myself and I do believe that you give praise where it's due, and not where it isn't. Don't get me wrong, you always want to see the best in pupils as much as you can, and always look for glimpses of potential, but you don't blanket praise a group where several have performed well-below what could reasonably be expected through their own choice.

She has a tendency to tell them how wonderful they ALL are, when that's clearly not the case. I was frankly staggered by the choices of the 4 girls to do the wedding dress. I then couldn't believe Thelma announcing that were all perfect after their time selling on the stall. They weren't all perfect. What she should have said is that they had shown themselves to be good salespeople, and that they sold well, but that some of them needed to still think about appropriate workplace behaviour i.e. not throwing chips at the head of one of your superiors, and then shouting aggressively in their face when they challenge you about it.

You cant tell people that they are perfect, and then later have a go at them for displaying the same inappropriate behaviour that was fine and called perfect a day previously.

Like a previous poster, I do wish that Thelma had taken some proper advice about how to help these girls with their behaviour. She's giving them a series of incredibly mixed messages.

BIB - that was me, also a teacher. That says something, doesn't it - you and I thinking exactly the same way.

I've almost given up on having an opinion on this programme - Thelma has no idea about behaviour control and no interest in learning about it or implementing it. She thinks she 'knows it all', but she knows nothing at all. The last straw for me was Victoria and Megan the taxi incident - they got away with murder there, and no one really made them accountable for their actions. It was a slap on the wrist that meant nothing to them - they don't have a clue.

Hardly any of them do, unfortunately. They live in their bubble and think the 'real world' rules don't apply to them. And, bizarrely, that has been condoned by the rule-makers over the years who have failed to apply (or attempt to apply) the law of the land equally to all.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,572
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    duryea wrote: »
    I'd be fumiing if I'd paid for a dress and she'd let them play around in it.

So would I, one of them seemed to be rolling around on the floor
    Andagha wrote: »
    I would be checking those dresses thoroughly to see if there were any damage..

Absolutely
    Andagha wrote: »
    Why didn't that taxi driver pull over and refuse to go any further when the girls started getting out of the car and playing up.

That's what I would have done
    Neda_Turk wrote: »
    So they made £270 but how much of that is profit?

You have to take away the base cost plus all the cost of the added extras (ribbons and sparkles).

Then take away the cost of the stall (Not cheap) and the cost of petrol getting. (And if you have a car in the first place, then you are not poor)

So for working for hours shopping for the stuff, then the hours of work embellishing it, then all day long on a freezing market stall (If you have managed to get there) you make about £40.

And of cause on a bad day, you do all the work, spend all the money and end up making nothing!

I know it can be done, but you have to face the realities that they seemed to miss out on in this show. We can all live wonderfully if we just stand on a stall and make £270 a day, everyday, but that isn't reality.

Did the girls pay for their own stock and accessories and having done craft fairs for many years I know how these things work and mostly it's disheartening

Also another question betrothed, if you are around, did the travellers mother really think that Thelma was threatening her daughter with that very old expression I could bang your heads together. I have said it to my own children but of course it is only a saying and I am sure that us country people have shouted at this girl before.
    This programme hasn't done Thelma any favours, in fact it will have destroyed any credibility she had.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I cannot believe this terrible behavior from the girls. And they're getting away with it.
  • HotgossipHotgossip Posts: 22,385
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I applaud Thelma for at least trying to teach these girls to be independent and earn their own money, most of them don't need it.

We have settled gypsies living close by and, trust me, there is no shortage of money in their families. The mother drives round in a top of the range car which my DH tells me cost around £85,000. She has never had a job all the years I've known her. She has 4 adult kids and they all have very nice cars - BMW, Audi and Range Rovers. Hubby also has a very expensive car. Their house is like something from Dallas and now there are grandchildren you should see the designer buggies, prams and clothes. It is seriously eye-watering how much money they have.
  • DiamondDollDiamondDoll Posts: 21,460
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thelma really doesn't care what 'country folk' think. I don't think she even cares what the viewers think, but one thing I am 100% certain is that Thelma cannot do whatever she may believe is the right thing. She just has to do what is acceptable to her targetted market...........ie the travellers communities featured in the programme.

If she alienated that particular group............ she'd have no business. FACT.