BB Posters Reunited and WELCOME to the lurkers! (Part 53)

Comments

• BarracuteBarracute Posts: 243,186
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Artemesia wrote: »
    Difficult to perch on these as they have wobbly heads.They really work in our situation, our last one blew down and shattered in a gale.The birds fly by, see them and are discouraged from approaching.The biggest birds, apart from real owls that we have round here, are magpies and they don't like them either.When we installed the previous one, our fainting cat, Spiro, jumped onto the balcony wall, saw it, and passed out with shock...:eek:

oh dear - hope he's better with the new one :confused:
  • HickyHicky Posts: 50,488
    Forum Member
    Make sure you don't go over 20mph here anyway.:-))))))))

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BGCmssJCUAAhj89.jpg
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hicky wrote: »

It snowed all morning here, its dwindled to almost a stop now though, we didnt have quite as much as you - still cant believe its snowing a week before easter!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

ha ha :p
  • honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    Barracute wrote: »
    It snowed all morning here, its dwindled to almost a stop now though, we didnt have quite as much as you - still cant believe its snowing a week before easter!

Its far more likely to snow at Easter than Christmas. :)
    Forum Member
    The seasons have shifted a lot, summer is being pushed out and spring is later leaving no room for summer because autumn is setting in early.

It's a big problem for the growers and the farmers as the rains spoil everything and the bad weather means the farmer has to feed his livestock extra food to make up, and thats expensive.
    Forum Member
    The seasons have shifted a lot, summer is being pushed out and spring is later leaving no room for summer because autumn is setting in early.

It's a big problem for the growers and the farmers as the rains spoil everything and the bad weather means the farmer has to feed his livestock extra food to make up, and thats expensive.

We have had odd weather lately but snow is really very common in March and April yet everyone is surprised by it.
  • MootleMootle Posts: 35,232
    Forum Member
    tis the same in the Midlands :mad:

:eek:

The latest lot of pears that I bought came all the way from Argentina:eek:
    Hello Moots :D

It has actually been snowing here like the clappers for the last few hours but its not laying, it hits the ground and disappears, by rights I should be up to my knees in it by now :D

we have had sort of constant sleety snow, but the snow has stayed on the ground.:mad:
  • MootleMootle Posts: 35,232
    Forum Member
    We have had odd weather lately but snow is really very common in March and April yet everyone is surprised by it.

That's true - I remember when coming back from Edinburgh after Easter once, my flight was cancelled due to the snow at Birmingham airport. I had to fly to London instead and take a train home, but we got stranded for a long time due to snow on the line :(
    Forum Member
    Mootle wrote: »

we have had sort of constant sleety snow, but the snow has stayed on the ground.:mad:
    The snow is quite patchy here. Hicky is very close to me in distance (but we have a stretch of water dividing us) yet we often have completely different weather. .
  • ArtemesiaArtemesia Posts: 43,241
    Forum Member
    Many years ago, I was in London, in mid April when it started to snow.Returning on the train, we were stuck at Stevenage for nearly 3 hours because of snow on the line and when we eventually arrived back at Newcastle, there were buses slewed all over the roads and a 2-3 hour wait for taxis.

It also snowed very heavily on the day I married my previous husband and that was the end of April.As Honey remarked, it is not that unusual.
    I think that, after such a horrid, long, and wet winter, it seems like the last straw.
  • Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know why not - we've had snow up here in June.
    Indeed......some people seem amazed they get bloomin' snow in December. They must be on the verge of a nervous breakdown it's happening when it's almost spring. :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    Artemesia wrote: »
    Many years ago, I was in London, in mid April when it started to snow.Returning on the train, we were stuck at Stevenage for nearly 3 hours because of snow on the line and when we eventually arrived back at Newcastle, there were buses slewed all over the roads and a 2-3 hour wait for taxis.

It also snowed very heavily on the day I married my previous husband and that was the end of April.As Honey remarked, it is not that unusual.
    I think that, after such a horrid, long, and wet winter, it iseems like the last straw.
    Yes i think that must be the case. People must mentally shrug off the winter when it gets to March.:D
  • ArtemesiaArtemesia Posts: 43,241
    Forum Member
    It has been lovely here today, but really chilly in the shade and now that the sun has set, it is very cold in the house.It has been a longer, colder, and wetter winter for us too compared to usual but we had a longer spell of hot dry weather last summer but bad weather world-wide is cyclical....
    Forum Member

It's probably all right coming that far, it's just the roads in the uk that don't move.
    With our weather we have to import more and more.

That might be due to gravity Moots.:-)
    The snow is quite patchy here. Hicky is very close to me in distance (but we have a stretch of water dividing us) yet we often have completely different weather. .

A few miles can make an awful difference.
  • tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    having seen forcast i expected to wake to lots of snow this morning but all there was was a very light dusting
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

The latest lot of pears that I bought came all the way from Argentina

:confused: Surely you weren't expecting English pears to be ready this early? :p
    Forum Member
    having seen forcast i expected to wake to lots of snow this morning but all there was was a very light dusting

The forecasts cant be right all the time. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    The forecasts cant be right all the time. :)

Oh, I thought weather forecasters were supernal. :eek::D
    Forum Member
    having seen forecast i expected to wake to lots of snow this morning but all there was was a very light dusting
    you should think yourself lucky really, or do you prefer to struggle though it?
    Scots rool wrote: »
    :confused:Surely you weren't expecting English pears to be ready this early? :p
    My pear tree is just getting ready to open it's bud, love the odd bottle myself.:-)
  • tvqueen1905tvqueen1905 Posts: 82,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

My pear tree is just getting ready to open it's bud, love the odd bottle myself.:-)

yes i am thinking myself lucky :)
    Forum Member
    It isn't really a struggle though is it, if you are fit and healthy and live in a city its no big deal and you might as well enjoy it. I certainly do. :)

All our buds are out too, and it looks like the blossom will come any minute now.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭

It'll be sometime before they're bearing edible fruit. :p If you have frosts it could kill off the fruit.
    Forum Member
    Scots rool wrote: »
    Oh, I thought weather forecasters were supernal. :eek::D

No. Its with the cutbacks. They put the forecasters in rooms without windows and they're buggered! :p
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. Its with the cutbacks. They put the forecasters in rooms without windows and they're buggered! :p

Oh dear, they must be devastated!........But surely they could 'rise' above it all. :D
This discussion has been closed.