Humphreys on One Show

2»

Comments

• soransoran Posts: 1,644
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ianmatt wrote: »
    Just reading the banal, boring ex F1 host is standing in for Baker next week.

I was of the opinion nobody could shape in as wooden a fashion as Baker, perhaps though this half-witted buffoon could run him close, even beat him.

More brains in the average pork pie. BBC hold the license payers with contempt with constant use of these idiots on prime time TV. Baker, Bradbury, Humphreys, Hart, Millican, the list goes on. No wonder people resort to SKY.

Bit 1980's calling everyone by their surname. The OP reminds me of a more entertaining time on the BBC, in this video:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ETqncRvQHWk :D;)
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    tobi wrote: »
    I imagine the one show appeals to an older audience so if it keeps them happy over the long winter evenings it is doing its job. I could be wrong but it would be interesting to see a breakdown under the age categories.

I don't think appealing to an older audience is any problem especially when you see some of the moronic rubbish that seems to appeal to a younger audience and keep them happy over the long Winter evenings.
  • marianna01marianna01 Posts: 2,598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How old is this 'older audience'?

How young are the people who appear to be moronic and along with the oldies need to be kept happy (and presumably warm) over these long winter evenings?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    marianna01 wrote: »
    How old is this 'older audience'?

How young are the people who appear to be moronic and along with the oldies need to be kept happy (and presumably warm) over these long winter evenings?

It is just that anything that is branded 'Yoof' seems to go for the lowest common denominator. But I don't like some people's mania for every programme being targeted at a carefully defined group. The only people who need that are advertisers who want to be able to inflict their adverts on a particular group of peole.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 15
    Forum Member
    Yes I watched Jake. He was very good. Thanks to whoever started this thread. Jake doesn't have many of his own threads. Joan Collins looked good for her age and obviously had her own views:o
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not worth a new thread, so I'll add it here.

John Sergeant was on telling everyone how proud he is of his son who will be following in his footsteps, surprise surprise, he's a BBC correspondent.

"Demonstrating that nepotism is still as alive and well at the BBC, as it has been since the days of the Dimblebys."
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Have you only just found that out?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Have you only just found that out?

Yes, why, was it important that I should know already?

It was certainly important to John Sergeant that people who didn't know (like me) were told.
  • degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    Just thought you were a BBC news viewer. He's been reporting for them for ages, several years at least.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    degsyhufc wrote: »
    Just thought you were a BBC news viewer. He's been reporting for them for ages, several years at least.

I don't watch the news, I get all the news I need on the "red button." No opportunity for reporters "showboating" or any significant bias. I only caught that bit as I'd swapped over from the football to a BBC station to get the "red button" news.

But if he is so "well known" why did his dad think he needed a plug?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not worth a new thread, so I'll add it here.

John Sergeant was on telling everyone how proud he is of his son who will be following in his footsteps, surprise surprise, he's a BBC correspondent.

"Demonstrating that nepotism is still as alive and well at the BBC, as it has been since the days of the Dimblebys."

Presume you saw the other scandalous example of nepotism on the programme, the butcher's shop that has been run by the same family since 1535. Surprised you are not complaining about that.

It might surprise you but many sons follow their fathers into the same occupation. If his son wanted to become a radio or TV journalist then not surprising that he has gone to the BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Presume you saw the other scandalous example of nepotism on the programme, the butcher's shop that has been run by the same family since 1535. Surprised you are not complaining about that.

It might surprise you but many sons follow their fathers into the same occupation. If his son wanted to become a radio or TV journalist then not surprising that he has gone to the BBC.

No, if you read my post, you'd realise I didn't see the butchers as I only needed a BBC channel to access the news, I mute the sound whilst reading it.

The difference would likely be of course, unlike the butchers, which I presume was a family business, "John Sergeant doesn't own the BBC," (well as far as I know he doesn't).
    I accept when it comes to jobs, "pull is so much more effective than push."

Though sometimes I think the BBC is still a bit like the print industry in the fifties and sixties, where sons followed fathers into the same jobs.
    Historically, many big organisations, (I once worked for one of them), banned the employment of relatives.

It's just an observation, try not to interpret it as a "crusade."

I wondered why Sergeant felt the need to give him a plug.

I think it sad with all those thousands of young people, with their degrees in media studies, when it comes to jobs with TV networks, can lose out, (to use an extreme example), to people like the Chloe Madeleys of this world.
  • xxjemimaxxxxjemimaxx Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Really enjoyed Jake on Monday ,shame he wasn't on for the rest of the week too !
  • Mrs Cee JayMrs Cee Jay Posts: 979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Back on tomorrow
  • TassiumTassium Posts: 31,639
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The One Show is the way-station on the way to the afterlife.

It's supposed to be boring and tedious, preparation for the millennia of table-tennis that awaits.
  • 6262 Posts: 295
    Forum Member
    Last night's pitches for the Bafta was embarrassing, especially Joe Dempsie's!

Did they not rehearse so that he wasn't thrown by the clip being shown? :confused:
  • xxjemimaxxxxjemimaxx Posts: 346
    Forum Member
    Back on tomorrow

Oh great ,that's made my day ,I miss Jake on F1 and don't really need to watch his Bedtime live prog so the One Show is Ideal :)
  • Jennell_SierakoJennell_Sierako Posts: 407
    Forum Member
    tobi wrote: »
    I imagine the one show appeals to an older audience so if it keeps them happy over the long winter evenings it is doing its job. I could be wrong but it would be interesting to see a breakdown under the age categories.

Interesting. I know a few people who watch it and they're all over 50.
  • ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Why does the name Dimbleby spring to mind ?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ftv wrote: »

Or Glenda Jackson's son whilst on this topic. Tony Bliar Um seems to be trying to start a dynasty with his son being allegedly found a very safe seat.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This was a classic example of someone using "feast or famine" options as the only alternatives.
    Actually I was a bit surprised at that poster.

How it's possible to compare a family owned business passed from father to son through generations, with getting a job at the BBC I really don't know.

But that sort of "option choice" is often posted on here to support a weak argument.
    ftv wrote: »

To be fair to Richard Dimbleby, when he was working for the BBC, I seem to recall reading somewhere, that he asked for £100 p.a. rise and they refused, so he left and started his own company, selling documentaries he made of his family holidays to the BBC. Of course he used his wife and sons in these.
    Obviously working with the BBC he knew all the "right people" so was able to "work them in" with a job at the Corporation, after they'd been to university.
    This doesn't mean to say that I think they had no ability, but they would have been in a much more advantageous position, compared with that of an "outsider."

Lots of BBC employees and I guess in other networks too, have managed to get their children into jobs in TV.

Given the huge number of able people who would love to get a job in TV, it seems remarkable that such people just happen to be "the best qualified" at the time.
    It's "the old boy network" that I think is endemic at the BBC.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was a classic example of someone using "feast or famine" options as the only alternatives.
    Actually I was a bit surprised at that poster.

How it's possible to compare a family owned business passed from father to son through generations, with getting a job at the BBC I really don't know.

But that sort of "option choice" is often posted on here to support a weak argument.

It was just to illustrate that it is very common for a son to follow their father into the same occupation, the example in Bridport might be extreme but it does show this well.

He worked for BBC and ITN so whichever his son went to could bring accusations of nepotism from some. If his son is a TV journalist then no surprise that he should want to work for the premier broadcast news organisation.