Top Gear

Comments

• Joni MJoni M Posts: 70,225
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's my favourite programme on the BBC and has been since Buffy finished.

Line of Duty is second. That's all I wanted to say really :)
  • North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's silly, it's contrived. but I love it. Blimey in these austere times it's great to just sit and watch something like that, have a good laugh, pure escapism.
  • Steveaki13Steveaki13 Posts: 655
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's silly, it's contrived. but I love it. Blimey in these austere times it's great to just sit and watch something like that, have a good laugh, pure escapism.

:) Thiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiisssssssssssssssssssssss
  • montyburns56montyburns56 Posts: 2,011
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    epm-84 wrote: »
    I was meaning it looked even more staged than usual by showing the minibus travelling with them. If they want to make it look even remotely believable then they need to hide the evidence that they are staging it.

Of course I knew that other stunts have been staged - idiot!

What has the fact that the film crew have some support vehicles travelling with them got to do with some of the events being staged? Do you think that the average viewer thinks that the whole journey is filmed by one guy and his camcorder?
  • DarthFaderDarthFader Posts: 3,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind that things are staged but I don't understand why a whole episode is then driving lorries. I want to see them in cars.

Found the hotel scene boring and if on ITV I would think product placement.

Anyone got a good theory who newish Stig is?
  • WhyIsTVSoAwfulWhyIsTVSoAwful Posts: 608
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    DarthFader wrote: »

Plot twist: It's an unknown, who is also a DS forum member. And some say...he doesn't like Top Gear. Aaaaaand that he even watches full episodes for a whole hour, just to complain about them to his online friends.

All we know is...
  • Corky DukeCorky Duke Posts: 790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    trevgo wrote: »
    Luckily the programme about Banger Racers featured more intelligent examples of the human species.

If you enjoy a programme about guys in a junk yard talking about how much they enjoy smashing in to cars while they drive round in a circle then I can see why Top Gear might be a bit high brow for you, I suggest you start watching Fifth Gear and work your way up.:)
  • lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't mind that things are staged but I don't understand why a whole episode is then driving lorries. I want to see them in cars.

Is that product placement for the trucker's 'hotels' or the posh one in Naypyidaw? I don't remembering seeing the names of any of them, surely an essential factor in product placement. Also the number of viewers planning to travel to Burma and Naypyidaw can probably be counted on one hand.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    myss wrote: »
    I have to agree with you and the initial posts on P.150 about this episode. I felt that there were some entertaining and fascinating parts (i.e.the military memorial, the part about that wide wide road, Burma landscape, etc) , and some parts which weren't funny or interesting (the post hotel part, Jeremy blocking the other on that narrow road, etc) and I did nothing or very little for me.
    It could have been cut down to at least 30 mins and I personally would have preferred their ordinary programme with the Burma part shown in two halves during the hour. That said, it wasn't a rubbish offering, and as someone else has mentioned, Jeremy himself said the second part is better, so I'm hoping the best has been saved for the last.

This. I'm far from a hater, in fact I've hardly criticised it in the past, but that doesn't mean I have to adore every single episode.

Nobody has ever said that people have to love every single minute of every single episode.

The arguments on this thread are nothing to do with that.
  • roddydogsroddydogs Posts: 10,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Was it really necessary to make a "Joke" about parkinsons?
  • trevgotrevgo Posts: 28,241
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not as hugemongously thick to watch a programme week after week that they hate.

I think it's an ego personality problem: They don't get enough attention in their real lives and so deliberately come here week after week to say "Look at me! I'm going to say it's crap just to get the attention I so badly need.".

Maybe you think too much.

I object to it as I am a petrolhead and would like the BBC to make a programme that catered for my interest. I'd quite like to be entertained in the process, but the sight of the 3 middle aged egos acting like thoughtless yobs across the third world doesn't do it. Personally, I find how any fully developed adult can find such contrived cartoon capers genuinely amusing completely baffling, but then neither do I appreciate the enjoyment in stapling one's scrotum to one's anus, or standing in a pub hollering football chants.

And say what you like, but their boy racer antics are grossly irresponsible. As any encounter with a youth in a Nova on the A406 will testify.

I do not watch it in order to be wound up. As someone interested in cars, I usually dip in in the off chance they might actually be doing something interesting for once. |f I don't like it, I'm free to say so.

It's how a free society works. If folk find that so outrageous, then I suggest there is an inner guilt complex at play.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corky Duke wrote: »
    If you enjoy a programme about guys in a junk yard talking about how much they enjoy smashing in to cars while they drive round in a circle then I can see why Top Gear might be a bit high brow for you, I suggest you start watching Fifth Gear and work your way up.:)

It was irony. I was going to say "needless to say", but apparently it needs to be said.

I should have realised how such a concept may get somewhat lost on a TG thread.
  • ivqiiivqii Posts: 81
    Forum Member

There is a completely wild and unfounded rumour that it is Sabine Schmitz

If it is it wouldn't surprise me
  • stirlingguy1stirlingguy1 Posts: 7,038
    Forum Member
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Was it really necessary to make a "Joke" about parkinsons?

Yeah, didn't like that line either, but aside from that, it was hilarious, really enjoyed it.
    What I would love to know is - is there anywhere one can read/see "the making of" these foreign trips? i would love to know how they are made - scripted, post-production techniques, how much they pay the locals, fixers etc.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,190
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I object to it as I am a petrolhead and would like the BBC to make a programme that catered for my interest. I'd quite like to be entertained in the process, but the sight of the 3 middle aged egos acting like thoughtless yobs across the third world doesn't do it. Personally, I find how any fully developed adult can find such contrived cartoon capers genuinely amusing completely baffling, but then neither do I appreciate the enjoyment in stapling one's scrotum to one's anus, or standing in a pub hollering football chants.

And say what you like, but their boy racer antics are grossly irresponsible. As any encounter with a youth in a Nova on the A406 will testify.

I do not watch it in order to be wound up. As someone interested in cars, I usually dip in in the off chance they might actually be doing something interesting for once. |f I don't like it, I'm free to say so.

It's how a free society works. If folk find that so outrageous, then I suggest there is an inner guilt complex at play.

BIB here's a clue... everyone's different.

And yet week after week, you remain disappointed but soldier on watching and then complaining and I'm perfectly happy for you to do so, I find that quite funny.

The problem I have with you is that you don't limit your criticism to the programme but choose to hurl insults at the people that do enjoy the show. when those same people object to your characterization of them and tell you so you get all uppity and start banging on about your human right to free speech.

please don't apply your immense intellect to replying to me. I've put you on block because frankly you and your pofaced antics bore me rigid and I, unlike you ignore things I don't like.

;-)
  • SlapstickGandhiSlapstickGandhi Posts: 105
    Forum Member

The common misconception here seems to be that Top Gear is stopping the BBC from making a show reviewing ordinary cars. That could exist as well as top gear, however what is really stopping them is the belief that there are not enough people who want to watch such a show.

There are however so many people worldwide who want to watch top gear that it makes a profit for the BBC allowing it to make more niche shows that only a handful of people watch meaning that its existence is actually making it (slightly) more likely that such a show might exist in the future.

I like top gear, it makes me laugh, but what I really like is that it is one of the programmes (like doctor who) that makes it possible for the BBC to make the sort of program on BBC4 that only appeals to me and half a dozen others about ancient Greece or something.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The common misconception here seems to be that Top Gear is stopping the BBC from making a show reviewing ordinary cars. That could exist as well as top gear, however what is really stopping them is the belief that there are not enough people who want to watch such a show.

There are however so many people worldwide who want to watch top gear that it makes a profit for the BBC allowing it to make more niche shows that only a handful of people watch meaning that its existence is actually making it (slightly) more likely that such a show might exist in the future.

I like top gear, it makes me laugh, but what I really like is that it is one of the programmes (like doctor who) that makes it possible for the BBC to make the sort of program on BBC4 that only appeals to me and half a dozen others about ancient Greece or something.

I neither want, nor believe their is an audience, for a weekly show comparing boot volumes and gloveboxes. I am not some sort of humour vacuum, but the show has become more and more about the three idiots who present it and frankly, should be called something other than "Top Gear", which insinuates it might be about cars.

I accept my problem is that I like having a laugh, but not "avvin a laff". The latter is the justification for behaviour by Brits in every departure lounge in the world that makes me want to crawl under a table somewhere. Or speak another language. Seeing these three do it every week whilst being paid a fortune to do so, winds me up.

If they renamed the show "Top Jackass" I would be far more content.
  • SlojoSlojo Posts: 4,230
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    ivqii wrote: »
    There is a completely wild and unfounded rumour that it is Sabine Schmitz

If it is it wouldn't surprise me

She is Sabine Kehm now and is MIchael Schumachers Manager so I doubt she will be playing Stig anytime soon if ever
  • DanielFDanielF Posts: 2,006
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Not long after the newest one started, Boris Becker put a video online where we heard him speaking. It sounded suspiciously like
    Rob Collard
  • spectraspectra Posts: 2,753
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I neither want, nor believe their is an audience, for a weekly show comparing boot volumes and gloveboxes. I am not some sort of humour vacuum, but the show has become more and more about the three idiots who present it and frankly, should be called something other than "Top Gear", which insinuates it might be about cars.

I accept my problem is that I like having a laugh, but not "avvin a laff". The latter is the justification for behaviour by Brits in every departure lounge in the world that makes me want to crawl under a table somewhere. Or speak another language. Seeing these three do it every week whilst being paid a fortune to do so, winds me up.

If they renamed the show "Top Jackass" I would be far more content.

If it would make you go away, so would I.

How many more times can you say the same thing to justify watching a prog you dislike intensely?
    How many more times are you going to slag off the intelligence of those that do watch TG regularly?

Please if like me you are bored of Trevs self inflicted pain and his moaing about it , lets just stop responding to this drivel.
    I have been guilty of being sucked in to this defence of a program which I quite like watching but which I do not think is the be all and end all off tv.

I shall now stop slap myself on the wrists accordingly and get on with my life.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    spectra wrote: »
    Please if like me you are bored of Trevs self inflicted pain and his moaing about it , lets just stop responding to this drivel.

You are aware, I assume, that this is a discussion forum? For expressing views?

That the thread is not entitled "Top Gear - Sycophantic Praise Only"?

I know loads of people who hold exactly the same opinion of the programme as I do (actually - I can't think of anyone I know who does like it). Clarkson has a vast, vast army of haters. I'm not some sort of weird loner. Quite why people are getting so aggressively defensive over it, I know not.
  • Heston VestonHeston Veston Posts: 6,495
    Forum Member

There were references to heroin in Sunday's episode, so that ties in nicely with 'Top Gear'.

I'm sure some of this might have been featured at one point:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gear_(disambiguation)

or even this:

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/gear
  • gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,611
    Forum Member
    So this scripted accident when Hammond was thrown off his horse. They really should have gone for another take as the camerawork didn't really capture it properly.
  • Paul_DNAPPaul_DNAP Posts: 25,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Slojo wrote: »
    She is Sabine Kehm now and is MIchael Schumachers Manager so I doubt she will be playing Stig anytime soon if ever

I don't think so. Sabine Schmitz and Sabine Kehm are two different people.
  • Syntax ErrorSyntax Error Posts: 27,784
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You are aware, I assume, that this is a discussion forum? For expressing views?

That the thread is not entitled "Top Gear - Sycophantic Praise Only"?

I know loads of people who hold exactly the same opinion of the programme as I do (actually - I can't think of anyone I know who does like it). Clarkson has a vast, vast army of haters. I'm not some sort of weird loner. Quite why people are getting so aggressively defensive over it, I know not.

You just don't get it.

Nobody has ever said that this thread is for sycophants only & I suspect you know that.

You're are fully entitled to criticise Top Gear if you don't like it, but what causes the angst amongst many is your tendency to patronise & insult people who do like watching the show; coupled with the fact the you hate the show, yet, for some bizarre reason, somehow manage to 'flick' onto it every single week, then feel the need to post exactly the same criticism of the show & insults to its viewers.

We all get that you don't like TG & that's great for you.

You carry on not liking it & stop insulting the rest of us that do & you won't get any issues, of that, I am almost certain.
This discussion has been closed.