Jessie J no longer Bisexual

Comments

• Mr_EyeMr_Eye Posts: 1,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    She's done a brilliant job of destroying her own career.
  • bornfreebornfree Posts: 16,360
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mr_Eye wrote: »
    She's done a brilliant job of destroying her own career.

I know. Sometimes these people just dont see the bigger picture. IMO she can sing and was doing OK.
  • cris182cris182 Posts: 9,595
    Forum Member
    So, in reality, she likes to drink from both cups, but she wants to settle down with a man. So what? In fact, whoever that man ends up being is a very lucky man indeed I say.

Doubt any man or woman can love her as much as she loves herself
  • RuinedGirlRuinedGirl Posts: 918
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    [/B]

Do you mean Jessie or Kelly Clarkson? I think they are both in the closet. As a hetereosexual female I can see it. Why not accept it. Its not like we are in the dark ages. Is she Jessie is saying that she is no longer gay or bi because she wants to have children? Well she can have children and still be proud of her sexuality.

I was talking about Kelly, although I do agree with your views with regards to Jessie :)

Also, I don't think Jessie's fans are mad at her for ''being straight'' (like a lot of other people have suggested) but rather mad at her with regards to her unnecessarily hostile and confrontational Twitter rant. She's cleverly marketed herself in a certain way, and has always has a very strong lesbian/bi following as a result of this. Which she will obviously be very aware of. She was very open about her sexuality and past relationship (which lasted two years) with a woman, so I'm not entirely sure why she's suddenly decided that she hates the idea that people think she's bisexual. She's the one who has openly said so many times in the past that she likes both men and women. Outing herself as ''straight'' in such a petulant and stroppy manner, and also referring to her bisexuality as a 'phase' isn't doing her any favours. If one of my ex girlfriends ranted like that and said liking women was a phase, I'd be really upset by it. Especially since Jessie seems almost sickened by people thinking she likes women.

Jessie is a total contradiction, saying she doesn't feel the need to label herself, yet at the same time inadvertently labeling herself as bisexual by saying she likes both men and women, then re-labeling herself again by saying she is only interested in men and wants to find a husband and have children. It seems like a classic case of fame going to someone's head, and someone buying into their own hype and doing whatever they have to in order to make more money. I'd love to know what led to her Twitter rant, because it seemed to come from nowhere, and there appeared to be a lot of anger behind it.

I haven't really followed Jessie's career closely though, I must admit. I loved Do it Like a Dude/ Who's Laughing Now, and admired her attitude when her mainstream career first began. But after that, she seemed to be desperately trying to portray herself as someone eccentric who ''fights for the underdog'' and it all just came across as very insincere. Her Twitter rant came across as a bit of a ''My lesbian/bi fans got me to where I am in my career, but I don't need you any more, so please stop insulting me by calling me bisexual and expecting me to represent you in mainstream media.'' thing. You can't have it both ways though, and make a ridiculous amount of money by claiming to represent the underdog, then being pissed off at those ''underdogs'' when you get bored of them and ditch them in a very public and vindictive manner. If she's so confident with who she is, then why is she so desperate to make sure everyone knows she is now straight?

With regards to Kelly, I actually feel quite sorry for her (and I don't mean that in a condescending or patronising way.) She's obviously had a lot of issues in the past, and has clearly struggled with her drinking and low self esteem/depression. I do think she's gay and lying to herself and the people around her though. But I think it's done out of fear/desperation to fit in somewhere (anywhere) rather than simply a case of her trying to make more money. She's admired the Blackstock family for a number of years, and marrying Brandon was the perfect way for her to get a supportive, ready made family with some stability (which she has obviously been craving since she was a child.) I think she comes across as a genuinely decent and humble person who is incredibly down to earth and incredibly likeable, which is in complete contrast to Jessie. I just hope Kelly doesn't end up destroying herself by attempting to live up to the standards which she believes she has to live up to. I could be totally wrong though, and she might be straight (being a lesbian doesn't make me an expert in deciding someone else's sexuality for them :D ) but I honestly do believe that she's gay.
  • History GalHistory Gal Posts: 42
    Forum Member
    Her fans are going to be a bit upset, having attended her O2 concert late last year, there were one hell of a lot of young girls all types of the sexual spectrum who will probably feel she has sold out over the "phase" idea.

One the flip side her concert was one of the oddest I've ever been to. She is so preachy about how she is now better than the "haters" who called her names and just kept banging on about it all night. All very teenage in my opinion.
  • attackmusicattackmusic Posts: 3,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gotta love the DS sexuality police. There is absolutely no evidence that Kelly Clarkson is gay or bisexual. Honestly, are we expected to believe strangers on the internet who have no insight into her life or believe her? The arrogance and ignorance of this is astounding!
  • Get Den WattsGet Den Watts Posts: 6,039
    Forum Member
    Gotta love the DS sexuality police. There is absolutely no evidence that Kelly Clarkson is gay or bisexual. Honestly, are we expected to believe strangers on the internet who have no insight into her life or believe her? The arrogance and ignorance of this is astounding!

They know where you live. ;-)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

No-one is claiming to be the sexuality police. But everyone is entitled to an opinion. My personal opinion is that Kelly Clarkson is gay. Your personal opinion is that she's straight. It's entirely possible to have a difference of opinion without being confrontational and nasty about it.

Also, I think its pretty telling that all videos of Kelly's news interview (pre American idol) where she says ''Our bed'' after the apartment she shared with another woman burnt down, have been deleted from the internet. There used to be plenty of videos of that interview, until the gay rumours started and they were mysteriously deleted.

Anyway, I'm not here to be the sexuality police. I even said in my previous post that being a lesbian doesn't automatically make me an expert in deciding someone's sexuality for them. But I'm entitled to an opinion, as are you. I just don't see why you seem to find it so insulting that some people believe Kelly is gay.

ETA: Why should anyone blindly believe anything a celebrity says in the press? They're very well rehearsed when it comes to PR, and I'm sure you're aware of how many stars have spent years in the closet and have even entered into fake marriages in an attempt to convince everyone that they're straight. (Elton John etc.) So just because a celebrity says that they're straight, it doesn't actually mean that they are.
  • UnlikelyHeroineUnlikelyHeroine Posts: 1,524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think the relevant person was actually saying it was her personal opinion that KC is gay, not demanding that everyone else accept that view as fact.

Jessie J had always absolutely insisted that she was bisexual. What I did find strange was her almost taking offence at being described as gay or lesbian. I mean, if she felt strongly about her bisexuality and the aspect of it that meant she was attracted to men, I understand her wanting everyone to be aware of this, and not wanting to be misdescribed, but somehow her very strong reaction to even being labelled as gay seemed a little odd to me.

Her recent "phase" comments are frankly weird and deeply unhelpful for her bisexual fans.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CarlLewis wrote: »
    Brave of JJ to go against the 'born this way' nonsense of certain sections of the gay lobby.
    Given that people who come out as gay are treated as being so brave that they virtually deserve a VC, I feel this brave act deserves recognition.

Dame Jessie J anyone?

How exactly is it brave to change your stance on your own sexuality while insinuating anyone that happens to be bi, straight or gay is just going through a phase they can choose to opt out of?

If anything she's proving herself a coward for not sticking to her personal way of life she claimed she was so proud and embraced now she's fell out of favour somewhat, she's changing her mind and defensively accusing people of being wrong for calling her something she as proud to call herself until recently.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They know where you live. ;-)

Haha :p

I should just laugh it off because it's so ludicrous and often so insane it must be parody. But it's not fair on her husband etc. It is just one of the many bizarre things you find on the internet, people claiming it is their opinion that someone they have never met or have no insight into is gay and lying about their sexuality :confused: Very odd.

Anyway I am also am bisexual and some comments by people like Jessie j and Duncan James I have found a bit odd. But at the end of the day I accept that only they can say what their sexuality is and if their attractions have changed then good for them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Haha :p

I should just laugh it off because it's so ludicrous and often so insane it must be parody. But it's not fair on her husband etc. It is just one of the many bizarre things you find on the internet, people claiming it is their opinion that someone they have never met or have no insight into is gay and lying about their sexuality :confused: Very odd.

Anyway I am also am bisexual and some comments by people like Jessie j and Duncan James I have found a bit odd. But at the end of the day I accept that only they can say what their sexuality is and if their attractions have changed then good for them.

Could I just politely point out that you've also never met Kelly and have no insight into her life, yet you're claiming she's straight? Essentially, we both have an opinion on the sexuality of someone whom we don't know personally. If it's ridiculous for me to think someone I've never met before is gay, then surely it's equally as ridiculous for you to think someone you've never met before is straight?

Since your ''sexuality police'' comments were obviously made in response to my comments (amongst some other posters) why not quote me and have a rational, decent discussion with me instead of just criticising me in posts you make in reply to another poster who agrees with you?

Like I've said before (in my last post, which you didn't respond to for some reason?) it's entirely possible to have a difference of opinion without being hostile about it :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Kelly says she is straight and has only had relationships with men. Hence why your argument makes no sense. Unless you have good reason to doubt her sexuality, why would you?

I'm not arguing with you, it is pointless. Just sick of the people on DS who never think there is any proof that someone is straight. It is ludicrous.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I've already said why I personally believe Kelly is gay: the interview she gave to a news channel before she was famous where she said ''our bed'' - I don't know any straight women who share a bed with the woman they live with. (I've mentioned this several times in my posts, yet you seem to have completely ignored it and instead claimed that I'm randomly assuming Kelly is gay with no good reason?) Plus the fact that the interview has been completely erased from the internet. Add that to the fact that there are numerous stories of Kelly dating women prior to her fame, and also the fact she protested way too much about being straight, my personal opinion is that she's gay. But like I've said, that's purely my opinion and I accept the fact that I don't know Kelly personally and therefore I could very well be wrong. I'm not one of those crazy women who assume that every single female celebrity is gay and hiding it.

However, a celebrity claiming to be straight really isn't always definitive proof that they are. Ricky Martin, Elton John, Ellen, and a ridiculous amount of other celebrities also claimed to be straight before they finally came out.

I don't understand why you're so seemingly angry that a poster has a different opinion to you. Isn't that the whole point of a discussion forum: people with different opinions express them and interact with each other in a civil manner?
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    echad wrote: »
    The thing I find strange is your comments, to be honest. In this post you acknowledge that orientation and behaviour do not always match up i.e. a person's sexuality is not simply defined by who they are dating now and people who ID as straight may have had same sex relationships in the past. Yet in your previous post, you suggest that upon entering a monogamous relationship, bisexual people suddenly become straight or gay, so in that instance you want to define people by the gender of the person they're currently with and assume that their decision not to be with someone of a different gender somehow reflects a lack of attraction to that gender. That confuses me more than any reaction to what Jessie J has said, perhaps you can explain? I'd wager you haven't really thought it through, like most people who say that kind of thing, but bisexual erasure is offensive. It's as bad as if I were to say to you that you're not really straight and that everyone has some degree of same sex attraction. The thing is, in the same way that it might be difficult for you to imagine someone being attracted to both genders and that feeling persisting even after settling down with one partner; it's difficult for me to imagine that some people are only attracted to one gender. But I believe them when they say it, because I know that not everyone is the same as me. Anyway, I find it odd that you were interested enough to pose that question in your argument, but you haven't responded to the several replies you've had about it. You must've read them right? Cos you posted in the thread again, but down the same track of bisexuality being a 'phase' for 'many people'. The point about Jessie is that although she can say what she likes about her own sexuality, whether she likes it or not she is representing bisexuality and her comments have reinforced one of the biggest prejudices that people have against us. No-one is saying she can't comment on her own orientation, just that she could have been more careful to avoid the kind of language that people use to deny and diminish our collective identity. That kind of sucks to do that to a community that you once considered yourself a part of, especially when you've experienced the prejudice for yourself. But hey, the woman is irritating as **** and more than a few sandwiches short of a picnic, so if in time people stop associating her with bisexuality, I'll not exactly be crying my eyes out over the chance to be represented instead by someone who doesn't make me want to stick my finger in my eye and swirl it around.

1st bit in bold - I wouldn't find that remotely 'offensive'. Then again, I don't go around looking for offence. I'd wager a lot of people have, at one point or another, felt some level of sexual attraction to someone of the same sex.

Second bit in bold. You see, I don't accept that at all. Who decided she was representing anyone? Are people not allowed to discuss their OWN individual sexuality without a group latching onto them and making them a representative? And what prejudice did she re-enforce? She simply stated that she now wants to be with a man. That's HER choice, HER life, HER sexuality.
  • Nobby BurtonNobby Burton Posts: 1,869
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Are there any links to this alleged news interview where Clarkson insinuates that she's a lesbian?

Seems pretty weird that in that part of the world she'd be out and living with a lesbian lover by the age of about 20
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jessie J seems to turning her sexuality on and off on a whim. Silly girl.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Are there any links to this alleged news interview where Clarkson insinuates that she's a lesbian?

Seems pretty weird that in that part of the world she'd be out and living with a lesbian lover by the age of about 20

As I've said, all traces of the interview (which she gave to a news channel) have been erased from the internet. I watched the interview years ago when it was on Youtube, and she clearly says ''our bed.'' It's a bit odd that the many videos of the interview have been taken down.

This is Kelly (before she was famous) giving a little tour of the burned apartment (which, by the way, wasn't in Texas. It was in L.A. ) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ireq42PQ8Bc
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    Don't you know RuinedGirl, homophobia does not exist, people don't hide their sexuality out of fear, everyone who says they are straight is straight :rolleyes: now I shall no doubt be accused of saying everyone is gay and wishful thinking. I am fully aware that most people are straight(as I am always reminded) but that doesn't change the fact that there are millions of gay/bisexual people in the world and lots who are in the closet. Are people seriously trying to suggest that it's different with people in the public eye?! They don't stay in the closet for their career, for fear of peoples reactions, because they are not comfortable with it themselves?! People act like we are accusing people of doing something horrible then wonder why they are called homophobic >:(
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,660
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    bornfree wrote: »
    [/B]

Do you mean Jessie or Kelly Clarkson? I think they are both in the closet. As a hetereosexual female I can see it. Why not accept it. Its not like we are in the dark ages. Is she Jessie is saying that she is no longer gay or bi because she wants to have children? Well she can have children and still be proud of her sexuality.

Alan Cumming, the actor who has played Nightcrawler from X-Men 2 and Eli Gold from The Good Wife, is married to a man but he still states he considers himself to be bisexual.
  • Goblin QueenGoblin Queen Posts: 633
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well, Jessie J is not helping gay and lesbian people who are condescendingly told "it's just a phase" or that all they need is a good woman/man!

I have never been able to warm to her.
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I agree with many of the comments funny how the first 2 years of Jessie's career no-one really cared about her sexuality and that she was bi ever since that chloe govan book came out she's stopped talking about it says it all really.
    Whether she is a lesbian or not only she knows but if that book was untrue then why did she all of a sudden go quiet why didn't she say I like men 2 years ago.
    I think it was around april 2012 when she was on the voice even since then she's distanced herself from talking about her sexuality which she was open about before.
    I don't think it's a coincidence that she's off to America to promote her new album.
    There are no out lesbian or bi pop stars over there that I can think of even in the uk we only have beth ditto who isn't mainstream & Courtney from stooshe.
    I wouldn't be surprised if her record company said this sexuality thing is overtaking the music so just say your straight I could be wrong but it's my opinion.
    I also believe Kelly Clarkson & Alicia keys are in the glass closet lots of blind items about Alicia & Kelly there was one about her suggesting that if anyone ever found out she would say her girlfriend was her flatmate again don't know if it's true.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    sparkle22 wrote: »
    I agree with many of the comments funny how the first 2 years of Jessie's career no-one really cared about her sexuality and that she was bi ever since that chloe govan book came out she's stopped talking about it says it all really.
    Whether she is a lesbian or not only she knows but if that book was untrue then why did she all of a sudden go quiet why didn't she say I like men 2 years ago.
    I think it was around april 2012 when she was on the voice even since then she's distanced herself from talking about her sexuality which she was open about before.
    I don't think it's a coincidence that she's off to America to promote her new album.
    There are no out lesbian or bi pop stars over there that I can think of even in the uk we only have beth ditto who isn't mainstream & Courtney from stooshe.
    I wouldn't be surprised if her record company said this sexuality thing is overtaking the music so just say your straight I could be wrong but it's my opinion.
    I also believe Kelly Clarkson & Alicia keys are in the glass closet lots of blind items about Alicia & Kelly there was one about her suggesting that if anyone ever found out she would say her girlfriend was her flatmate again don't know if it's true.

I agree with a lot of what you've said:)
  • sparkle22sparkle22 Posts: 1,135
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    wonder why it's ok for male celebs to come out more like tom daley & joe mcelderry.
    yet no female stars except older celebs like sue perkins & Claire balding.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 73
    Forum Member
    I don't think that it is easier for male celebs atall. It also depends on the profession and your position on the ladder. There are no openly gay leading me and women in films, studios want to make as much money as possible and the baulk at anything that would potentially push people away and there would most certainly be people refusing to watch gay leads. That's why there are next to no gay characters in mainstream films especially lead ones. Also in sport like football there are no openly gay guys etc and you know there are obviously gay people in every profession. Some more than others obviously.