The Rani aside, which other Time Lords would you like to see return?

2»

Comments

• VerenceVerence Posts: 104,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If The Doctor does make it back to Gallifrey, I'd love to see Runcible again. What a perfect person to fill us in on all the gossip since we were last there!!!!!

:)

Even though he was stabbed in the back we didn't actually see him die so he could easily have regenerated
  • Simon_FostonSimon_Foston Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    I think the only Time Lord character they ever might bring back is Romana.
  • The Alpha GamerThe Alpha Gamer Posts: 3,122
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thrombin wrote: »
    If they actually used the opportunity to establish the audio continuity within the TV show then I'd be dancing for joy :)

I thought The Night of the Doctor confirmed that the audios were Canon?
  • Sufyaan_KaziSufyaan_Kazi Posts: 3,862
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think they did really. I just think it confirmed that "some" aspects of the audio could be deemed as cannon, which is kinda where we were before
  • Simon_FostonSimon_Foston Posts: 398
    Forum Member

It only confirms that those names the Doctor mentioned are canon, not who the people actually are, what they did or what happened to them.
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Susan or Romana

Both of whom should have survived the time war. Romana was safely tucked away in E Space, and Susan was on 22nd century Earth, which we know wasn't destroyed in the time war because it survived until 5.5/apple/26 when it was destroyed by solar expansion.
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrprosser wrote: »
    Susan or Romana

Both of whom should have survived the time war. Romana was safely tucked away in E Space, and Susan was on 22nd century Earth, which we know wasn't destroyed in the time war because it survived until 5.5/apple/26 when it was destroyed by solar expansion.

Ok it was never stated in the show so can still be contradicted without too much uproar but according to RTD in an essay on the Time War (printed in a DW Annual) Romana was back being President of Gallifrey (as she was in the audios/books) before the Time War started.
  • mrprossermrprosser Posts: 2,281
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Corwin wrote: »
    Ok it was never stated in the show so can still be contradicted without too much uproar but according to RTD in an essay on the Time War (printed in a DW Annual) Romana was back being President of Gallifrey (as she was in the audios/books) before the Time War started.

But at the same time she was noticeably absent from the episode 'The End of Time' where Timothy Dalton portrayed the president at the time of the Doctor.

(I also realise that RTD said that he was Rassillon, however the name wasn't mentioned in the episode or the credits)
  • CorwinCorwin Posts: 16,606
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    mrprosser wrote: »
    But at the same time she was noticeably absent from the episode 'The End of Time' where Timothy Dalton portrayed the president at the time of the Doctor.

(I also realise that RTD said that he was Rassillon, however the name wasn't mentioned in the episode or the credits)

Didn't the Doctor call him Rassilon in the episode?
    DOCTOR: The link is broken. Back into the Time War, Rassilon. Back into hell.

I tend to go with the idea that Romana was President at the start of the Time War but at some point the Time Lords (like they brought the Master back to life) decided Rassilon was needed and Romana stepped down/was deposed.

It's a shame we never got to see Romana, Lalla Ward has said that she was asked back a number of times to appear in the current production (I'm presuming End of Time was one of them) but either could not or did not want to do it.
  • AirboraeAirborae Posts: 2,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Morbius. Only been in one story, but a particularly memorable and frightening one.
  • daveyboy7472daveyboy7472 Posts: 16,416
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Verence wrote: »
    Even though he was stabbed in the back we didn't actually see him die so he could easily have regenerated

He probably would have, and as I said with Doctor Who anything is possible. If soaps can bring people back from the dead quite mysteriously then so can Doctor Who! :D
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    Didn't the Doctor call him Rassilon in the episode?
    Yes, distinctly and to his face.

I'm all for the Monk re-appearing, if the Rani's out.

Here's how I see things:
    The Doctor has three things going for him, three things that define him. And the recurring Time Lords, the ones that are most memorable, demonstrate the flip side of these characteristics, what the Doctor could have been if he didn't embrace them - and that's what I find could be potentially interesting.

1) The Doctor takes a stand in 'fixing' the universe while the Time Lords only watch - taken to the extreme, he would be the Master.
    2) The Doctor is a technophile intellectual - taken to the extreme, he would be the Rani.
    3) The Doctor is an eccentric trickster - taken to the extreme, he would be the Monk.
  • doctor blue boxdoctor blue box Posts: 7,338
    Forum Member
    I believe that only the eighth doctor companions acknowledged in the night of the doctor was only a one time situation because he didn't have lots of on screen companions to look back on as other doctors would have.

I see it as more of a one off exception to the rule, than actually changing the fact that the audios aren't really cannon.
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I believe that only the eighth doctor companions acknowledged in the night of the doctor was only a one time situation because he didn't have lots of on screen companions to look back on as other doctors would have.

I see it as more of a one off exception to the rule, than actually changing the fact that the audios aren't really cannon.

why did he have to name check them at all then?
  • johnnysaucepnjohnnysaucepn Posts: 6,775
    Forum Member
    comedyfish wrote: »
    why did he have to name check them at all then?

Fan service.
  • comedyfishcomedyfish Posts: 21,637
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Fan service.

well it worked for me! I love the EDAs.

The fact is Moffat didn't have to mention them but he did. Makes it pretty Canon in my mind. There is another thread where I basically say Whovians seem to chose what they want to consider canon. I chose this!
  • ThrombinThrombin Posts: 9,416
    Forum Member
    I tend to go with the idea that Romana was President at the start of the Time War but at some point the Time Lords (like they brought the Master back to life) decided Rassilon was needed and Romana stepped down/was deposed.
    I believe Romana stopped being president at the end of the third season of the Gallifrey audio series then she spent season four and five hopping through various alternate realities before returning in season 6 and resetting all the Time Lord's memories to be how they were in season three.

Where we are currently in the TV show could be while she's travelling or she could be back and just not part of council any more.
  • Sara_PeplowSara_Peplow Posts: 1,579
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Now we know gallifrey is still there a lot could happen. If or when the doctor ever returns "home" a whole new lot of time lords could be introduced. Believe the woman and man who defied rassilon in TEOT were his mother and brother.