✭✭✭
As stated above....

Comments

• Options
    NoDisguiseNoDisguise Posts: 18
    Forum Member
    Mark1974 wrote: »
    As stated above....

I'm a fan of their 70s output and the 'Duke' album. After that I kind of lost interest other than a few singles.
  • Options
    MissMusiqueMissMusique Posts: 2,098
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes! Very much played at my house during my childhood!
  • Options
    barbelerbarbeler Posts: 23,827
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    NoDisguise wrote: »
    I'm a fan of their 70s output and the 'Duke' album. After that I kind of lost interest other than a few singles.
    Phil Collins is the antichrist. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway was the last album Genesis ever made.
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    Phil Collins is the antichrist. The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway was the last album Genesis ever made.

As much as I love Gabriel, I can't agree with that... you can't deny the brilliance of stuff like Afterglow, Duchess, Turn It On Again, Ripples, Trick of the Tail etc.
  • Options
    UrsulaUUrsulaU Posts: 7,239
    Forum Member
    Yes - of 70s Genesis! Tony Banks is truly the Keyboard King! :)
  • Options
    MeicYMeicY Posts: 2,585
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yep, and going to see Steve Hackett for the third time this year come November. Also a fan of G2. As a pianist, I am always in awe at the first 90 seconds of Firth of Fifth.

Despite this, my favourite album growing up was Invisible Touch (unsurprising as I was born in '83). Don't judge me.

Bill Bailey put it right, calling Collins a sanctimonious whining little git. He forgot to mention wife-beating Tory...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    you can't deny the brilliance of stuff like Afterglow, Duchess, Turn It On Again, Ripples, Trick of the Tail etc.
    Oh yes I can :p
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    I have said it before and I will say it again: Hackett was the greater loss to the band than Gabriel.
  • Options
    Mark1974Mark1974 Posts: 4,162
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Invisible Touch is my favourite album, and I absolutely love "Domino".
  • Options
    Sam_Williams1Sam_Williams1 Posts: 338
    Forum Member
    The most consistently good band ever.
  • Options
    RikScotRikScot Posts: 2,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The most consistently good band ever.

Lord no! They were consistently great...then had great moments...and then...:blush:
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,625
    Forum Member
    Like Fleetwood Mac there are two distinct phases and not everyone likes both.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Like Fleetwood Mac there are two distinct phases and not everyone likes both.

There were three...if you'll pardon the pun.

Gabriel

'Good" Collins era with Hackett

Downward plunge...;-)
  • Options
    mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    RikScot wrote: »

Gabriel

Downward plunge...;-)

Yeah, about right. I like 'Selling England by the Pound', 'Trick of the Tale' and 'And then they were three' and not much else.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I saw them after Collins left....Ray Wilson sang.

It was a bit desperate...
  • Options
    CLL DodgeCLL Dodge Posts: 115,868
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Trespass is my favourite. But then I have dozens of Ant Phillips albums. Prefer his style to Hackett's.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    CLL Dodge wrote: »
    Trespass is my favourite. But then I have dozens of Ant Phillips albums. Prefer his style to Hackett's.

There's always one....;-)

I like Trespass a lot though...they were so young and creative
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    I have said it before and I will say it again: Hackett was the greater loss to the band than Gabriel.

Total agreement there, I don't blame Phil for his leaving as it was really Tony Banks who made it difficult for him. Phil actually said that he saw Steve in the street on the the day he had resigned from the band. He refused to get in the car with Phil as he knew that Phil would have talked him out of leaving.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Collins is just an obnoxious, wife-beating, Tory cabaret act. Supper's Ready is the band's finest moment, although there's something about The Musical Box that hooks me with its uniquely British, atmospheric production. There was an American on a recent documentary who said that he couldn't believe how bad the production was on Nursery Crymes, but that only goes to show the massive gulf between English and American sensibilities.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    barbeler wrote: »
    there's something about The Musical Box that hooks me with its uniquely British, atmospheric production. .

Agreed...I love Harold The Barrel too ;-)
  • Options
    shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agreed...I love Harold The Barrel too ;-)

And what about the absolutely brilliant Fountain of Salmacis?
    Probably my all time favourite band along with The Smiths. I got into them just after Steve left but I now love their entire catalogue up to and including Duke. After that I liked the odd track but that was it. Favourite album really depends on my moods. One moment Wind and Wuthering, next Seconds Out and then Nursery Cryme. Lucky enough to see them in about 1982 and they did Suppers Ready. Amazing.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shackfan wrote: »
    And what about the absolutely brilliant Fountain of Salmacis?

Goes without saying :)

Saw them in '82 as well...they did Supper's Ready, think they were getting used to playing it again to prepare for the Six Of The Best show at Milton Keynes later that year.
  • Options
    FrankBTFrankBT Posts: 4,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Genesis never made a better album than Trick Of The Tail. Even better than anything they did with Peter Gabriel and proved that the band could happily survive without him. After that they started to drift downhill musically, although for the most part I still like And Then There Were 3. despite Steve Hackett no longer involved. Duke was the big push towards a commercial sound..
  • Options
    shankly123shankly123 Posts: 598
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Gabriel

Downward plunge...;-)

I'd go along with this - the first 2 post Gabriel albums weren't too bad, but after that...

The Gabriel era Genesis is still some of my favourite music ever made - I love 'Foxtrot' and was lucky enough to see Genesis on the 'Lamb lies down' tour.

I'd thoroughly recommend seeing 'The Musical Box' tribute band if you get the chance. It's almost like having a time machine. Genesis lent them their projector slides and instruments to have copies made and Steve Hackett occasionally sits in with them. I believe Peter Gabriel once took his kids to see them 'so they could see what he used to be like'. Well worth a visit.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    shankly123 wrote: »

I'd thoroughly recommend seeing 'The Musical Box' tribute band if you get the chance. It's almost like having a time machine. Genesis lent them their projector slides and instruments to have copies made and Steve Hackett occasionally sits in with them. I believe Peter Gabriel once took his kids to see them 'so they could see what he used to be like'. Well worth a visit.

I saw them do The Lamb...note perfect and even stranger than normal due to 'Peter's Quebecois accent.