Friends changing arrangements at last minute to suit themselves

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
Forum Member
✭✭✭
I have a friend who now lives in London (I live in Dublin) and when she comes over to stay with her parents we would arrange to meet up in, say, a restaurant for a proper catch up. I would then invariably get a call on the morning of the day to say 'oh, we're kind of running late, and mum wants us to go to such and such and blah blah, so I was thinking why don't you come over here after work and I'll cook us something'.

So instead of a nice meal in a restaurant somewhere handy for both of us with some wine I have to drive to the suburb where her parents live, sit around in the middle of her family, kids being put to bed etc. have nothing to drink while they all enjoy some wine, and then drive home alone later that night. It suits her beautifully, but the inconvenience to me doesn't seem to matter.

She ALWAYS does this and at this stage I really don't go to much effort to contact her when she's home.

Anyone else got friends who always change arrangements to suit themselves?

Comments

• tellytart1tellytart1 Posts: 3,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Say you can still meet up in town, but you can't go to hers as your car has broken down.
  • skunkboy69skunkboy69 Posts: 9,506
    Forum Member
    I got rid of all my friends that acted like this.My life is so much easier now.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 90
    Forum Member
    I think I need to get my vision tested.

I read suit as s*it and spent a good two/three minutes trying to work it out.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,274
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spinnt wrote: »
    I think I need to get my vision tested.

I read suit as s*it and spent a good two/three minutes trying to work it out.

:D:D:D
  • ThisSheepMoobsThisSheepMoobs Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am "one of those friends" who do that. I try to get there on time but it is impossible. Something always comes up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am "one of those friends" who do that. I try to get there on time but it is impossible. Something always comes up.

But do you start changing the arrangement around to suit yourself, while making things more inconvenient for the other person?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But do you start changing the arrangement around to suit yourself, while making things more inconvenient for the other person?

Yes. I do. I am busy, I work, I volunteer, I go university. Admittedly I do try to make way for 2-3 hours every day to go the gym. Something always comes up last minute that requires urgent attention. I have to start changing arrangements to suit myself.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes. I do. I am busy, I work, I volunteer, I go university. Admittedly I do try to make way for 2-3 hours every day to go the gym. Something always comes up last minute that requires urgent attention. I have to start changing arrangements to suit myself.

But that's what annoys me. I have a busy day too and then have it made even more hassley by my friend suiting herself.
  • solarflaresolarflare Posts: 22,378
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But that's what annoys me. I have a busy day too and then have it made even more hassley by my friend suiting herself.

I'd just say "let's hold off on meeting up until another time when you're not so busy" or something.
  • Jimmy ConnorsJimmy Connors Posts: 117,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Yes I do have a friend like that.

I do not change the arrangements any more. They either stick to them - or we don't meet. I shall not be flexible. Once or twice maybe, but any more than that and it is not happening.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I can understand that frustration. I wouldn't like it if it happened to me.

I have to juggle a lot.

I have to earn money whilst most of my friend rely on their parents.

Most of mates do courses that are essentially will not please some on here. - if you get my drift.

I do law so it is a lot of work.

I need to volunteer- to get experience so I can get a training contract in future.
    I have to earn- flat, bill, car- it costs.
    I have to study as well.

I am very organised and have a schedule. Sometimes, I can't help but get something last minute.

I do try and at least once a month to have a social life- go out with my mates.

In regards to your scenario- she has a family. I don't blame you for being annoyed. Have you tried explaining how you feel to her?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,561
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The worst thing is when you make arrangements with someone, and then when you phone/text/Facebook them on the day to make sure they're still going, they ignore you and pretend not to have got your texts/callls until it's too late to go anywhere. :rolleyes: And they always say "omg sorry I totally forgot! :(" or "I wasn't feeling too good earlier :(".

It's even worse when you already leave your home and walk a mile to your friend's house to meet them, and when you're about 10 minutes away they text and say "sorry can't make it, not feeling too good, going to bed :(" and then when you phone them STRAIGHT AFTER THEY TEXT YOU they ignore you! And then you see them on Facebook a few minutes later chatting t one of their friends.

People are very, very unreliable. I understand not eveyone can committ to arrangements, but it doesn't take much to just phone up and say "look, i can't really be bothered going anywhere today" instead of pretending to be ill or ignoring any sort of contact!
  • Jason100Jason100 Posts: 17,222
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    wrong thread.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand that frustration. I wouldn't like it if it happened to me.

I have to juggle a lot.

I have to earn money whilst most of my friend rely on their parents.

Most of mates do courses that are essentially will not please some on here. - if you get my drift.

I do law so it is a lot of work.

I need to volunteer- to get experience so I can get a training contract in future.
    I have to earn- flat, bill, car- it costs.
    I have to study as well.

I am very organised and have a schedule. Sometimes, I can't help but get something last minute.

I do try and at least once a month to have a social life- go out with my mates.

In regards to your scenario- she has a family. I don't blame you for being annoyed. Have you tried explaining how you feel to her?

It wouldn't sink in. She usually says she'll call in with her mum to see my parents when she's home, gives a time, my parents sit and wait and she turns up about 2 hrs later. My parents are elderly and used to having dinner at a certain time etc and it really messes up their evening when she does this. One time my mother made it very clear she was fed up and my friend was all apologies and gave her flowers. Next time she was over, same thing, turned up about an hour and a half late.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,458
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    skunkboy69 wrote: »
    I got rid of all my friends that acted like this.My life is so much easier now.

I can relate to this, I only have a handful of 'friends' thankfully my life is alot easier as well.

If I were you OP I would simply say no if she does it again.
  • mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    It wouldn't sink in. She usually says she'll call in with her mum to see my parents when she's home, gives a time, my parents sit and wait and she turns up about 2 hrs later. My parents are elderly and used to having dinner at a certain time etc and it really messes up their evening when she does this. One time my mother made it very clear she was fed up and my friend was all apologies and gave her flowers. Next time she was over, same thing, turned up about an hour and a half late.

If it bothers you and your family that much my advice would be to stop making arrangements with this 'friend'
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If it bothers you and your family that much my advice would be to stop making arrangements with this 'friend'

I have said to my mother to say 'oh okay then. But we're going out at six so we won't be there after that'.

She says she will and she never does.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

This seems to be a regular thing. Stop making arrangements - I wouldn't put up with it.
  • mildredhubblemildredhubble Posts: 6,447
    Forum Member
    I have said to my mother to say 'oh okay then. But we're going out at six so we won't be there after that'.

She says she will and she never does.

Yet you still make arrangements with her ... perhaps follow your own advice.

Honestly, it's clear that your friendship is under strain and if it is bothering you enough to post on here I'd end the friendship.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I can understand pulling out, but forcing other people to change their plans too? :confused: Seems a bit mean.

OP, I was friends with someone rather like that for about 7 or 8 years. I would have called her my best friend, but gradually I found my life revolved around her. Many times, she would arrange something with me so I'd say to anyone else 'oh can't do that night, already got something on' and then she'd find something better to do, go to that without me so I'd end up with nothing to do. Eventually, I wised up and arranged my own things and said she could come if she wanted. It's rare she bothers.

We don't speak much now. In fact, I think she has a week's holiday and is back at her parents' house this week. They live 5 doors away from me - I've heard nothing. Never mind :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yet you still make arrangements with her ... perhaps follow your own advice.

Honestly, it's clear that your friendship is under strain and if it is bothering you enough to post on here I'd end the friendship.

I have already said I don't go to much trouble to meet up with her anymore. I was just curious to hear other people's views that's all.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I can understand pulling out, but forcing other people to change their plans too? :confused: Seems a bit mean.

I am not being mean. I am not stopping them from having a good time- they can without me. I am not ruining anything.
    I am busy and I can't help that.
  • GiraffeGirlGiraffeGirl Posts: 13,619
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I am not being mean. I am not stopping them from having a good time- they can without me. I am not ruining anything.
    I have a job, I got university, I volunteer- I am busy and I can't help that.

Oh, you said you changed arrangements to suit yourself. To me, that meant you made other people postpone plans until you were ready. That's a different thing

But just remember other people are busy too :) used to drive me mad when I was at uni and some friends (actually, the one mentioned above :rolleyes: ) would act like they were the only ones who had to work.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,485
    Forum Member
    I think in her mind, you don't have a problem with it, and for her the family takes priority over friends. In a way, she may think she is giving you a special 'privilege' of being part of her family group.

If you were to suddenly 'crack' and have an aggressive go at her, you might end up losing the friendship so I think it's worth just mentioning that you'd rather go out for a meal together, and perhaps not go to the next family thing. She probably just needs a reminder to think about what you want for a change.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, you said you changed arrangements to suit yourself. To me, that meant you made other people postpone plans until you were ready. That's a different thing

But just remember other people are busy too :) used to drive me mad when I was at uni and some friends (actually, the one mentioned above :rolleyes: ) would act like they were the only ones who had to work.

Usually, most of my mates plan a night out. I am sure they can still go without me.

My mates are not busy at all. I have to do a lot of work for my law degree. I need to get money- so have to work at Next. On top of that, I volunteer so can get experience so I can put that down on my cv. I do a lot of work. I am busy.

I would say, I am more or less free now- since I am ill hence on ds.