Why do they bother having debates on This Morning?

JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,194
Forum Member
✭✭
Holly and Phillip really are awful!!

They were having a debate about parenting and from the start they were siding with the woman debater?! What's the point? Obviously they're trying to pander to their supposed viewership but whatever happened to an impartial presenter?!

Comments

• dazza89dazza89 Posts: 13,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They have to fill up the 2 hours somehow, can't devote it all to cooking, underwear models and phone in competitions, I'm surprised Richard and Judy want anything to do with the show for its anniversary.
  • Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,794
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    dazza89 wrote: »
    They have to fill up the 2 hours somehow, can't devote it all to cooking, underwear models and phone in competitions, I'm surprised Richard and Judy want anything to do with the show for its anniversary.
    Phil and Holly have turned it into Heat magazine television. The nineties version appealed to both sexes and had a wide variety of features including live music and film revies. I caught half an hour of it, not by choice, last year and it was banal to say the least. Ratings suggest this trashy show is well past its best, so it's time to go.
  • jazzyjazzyjazzyjazzy Posts: 4,865
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glenn A wrote: »
    Phil and Holly have turned it into Heat magazine television. The nineties version appealed to both sexes and had a wide variety of features including live music and film revies. I caught half an hour of it, not by choice, last year and it was banal to say the least. Ratings suggest this trashy show is well past its best, so it's time to go.

Quite agree - watched their first day back and switched it off and won't bother again Eamonn and Ruth made it a much better programme but the quality of guests over the summer was dreadful.
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone enjoys a good mass debate.
  • anotherlongersanotherlongers Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Everyone enjoys a good mass debate. Twice sometimes.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    Quite agree - watched their first day back and switched it off and won't bother again Eamonn and Ruth made it a much better programme but the quality of guests over the summer was dreadful.
    It's a shame to see TM go down the drain as in the nineties this was a successful middle brow format and well liked. I wish ITV would pull the plug.
  • JamieHTJamieHT Posts: 12,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It's a shame to see TM go down the drain as in the nineties this was a successful middle brow format and well liked. I wish ITV would pull the plug.

They could save it by replacing the main presenters and half of the regulars. It's become too much of a clique. The new theme tune is awful as well. Sounds like a child did it on their keyboard.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How much better were Ruth and Eamonn today?
  • 21stCenturyBoy21stCenturyBoy Posts: 44,493
    Forum Member
    They know it makes the papers.

Think of the amount of publicity the show got (by proxy) when Katie Hopkins did her "children who are called Tyler are scumbags" routine. Even more so when Pip threw a list of ALLEGED!!!1 paedophile MP's at David Cameron.

If you took out the debates, it'd be two hours of competitions, cookery bits and soap gossip.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Think of the amount of publicity the show got (by proxy) when Katie Hopkins did her "children who are called Tyler are scumbags" routine. Even more so when Pip threw a list of ALLEGED!!!1 paedophile MP's at David Cameron.

If you took out the debates, it'd be two hours of competitions, cookery bits and soap gossip.

I'm not asking them to lose the debates. I'm saying Holly and Phil should take a leaf out of Ruth and Eamonn's book and be more impartial!
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I'm surprised the show was kept going after this and Schofield kept his job. I can remember in the seventies when Bill Grundy goaded the Sex Pistols into swearing and he was suspended and then sacked by Thames.
    Basically ITV between 6 and 1.30 is dreadful.
  • Moody BlueMoody Blue Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    I'm surprised the show was kept going after this and Schofield kept his job. I can remember in the seventies when Bill Grundy goaded the Sex Pistols into swearing and he was suspended and then sacked by Thames.
    Basically ITV between 6 and 1.30 is dreadful.

It just goes to show how powerful Philip is at ITV that he kept his job, it was disgraceful behaviour :rolleyes:
  • rammsteinqueenrammsteinqueen Posts: 514
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The only time I have watched this dross lately is when it's been on one of the screen when I've been down the gym. It's geared up for your average middle-aged frump who has nothing better to do than sit and watch a load of garbage. It's the same crap all the time - crap fashions, sitting around talking bollocks about soaps/big brother/I'm a "celeb" etc etc oh and you could win £50,000 a year for the rest of your life/new car/kitchen blah fking blah. It definitely needs pulling - pile of crud!
  • broadshoulderbroadshoulder Posts: 18,758
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    With the number of men unemploymed at the momemt you would think they would be more inclusive of both sexes.....but no...
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Healthy debate is good. The awful scouse harpy hardly let the other lady get a word in today. Serious chip on the shoulder.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Healthy debate is good. The awful scouse harpy hardly let the other lady get a word in today. Serious chip on the shoulder.

Oh I agree. I like debates which are handled properly by the presenters (I.e. not Holly and Phillip).
  • farmer bobfarmer bob Posts: 27,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    JamieHT wrote: »
    Oh I agree. I like debates which are handled properly by the presenters (I.e. not Holly and Phillip).

Yeah, Ruth and Eammon are far more polished. Schofield is seriously irritating.
  • YeraYera Posts: 6,200
    Forum Member
    JamieHT wrote: »
    farmer bob wrote: »
    Yeah, Ruth and Eammon are far more polished. Schofield is seriously irritating.

I see Katie Hopkins has said on twitter that she is on TM again on Tuesday morning- I thought they said she was never allowed back ???
    I just might watch to see the fiasco that will be Katie Hopkins shouting down whoever is there to put forward the argument that is opposite to her own :rolleyes:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Having a sneaky look through Bella and saw that the new "items" for Autumn are to be presented by Louie Spence and his Dad - Peter Andre - Abbey Crouch and (I think) Harry Judd out of Mcfly.
    Wow - can't wait for those. :eek::eek::eek:
    Holly Willoughby also touted to be the saviour of Loose Women with a golden handcuff deal to ITV.
    Thank goodness I will have something better to do in a warmer climate. :D
  • Apple_CrumbleApple_Crumble Posts: 21,748
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This Morning was a decent show back in the 90s. It has dumbed down massively since the early-00s.

As for why Katie Hopkins appears on This Morning, Kevin O'Sullivan explains it rather well ...
    How television works...

The guys at This Morning ask asinine Apprentice relic Katie Hopkins for her views on children’s names.

And when she vomits her nasty little opinions about what the working classes call their kids, they offer her three hundred quid to repeat them on telly. Deal!

As was obvious by his well-researched responses, not-really-shocked Phil Schofield knew exactly how offensively crass Katie was going to be.

With the entire manipulative exercise proceeding precisely to plan, not-really-horrified Holly Willoughby cried: “Oh stop it!”

Stop booking her then!

It’s known as hate bait.

When a publicity hungry programme deliberately hires some cash-for-trash rent-a-gob to wind the audience up and provoke a furious response.

Predictably, Twitter’s reliably gullible moral crusaders went berserk. Result! Another triumph for responsible broadcasting.

But from now on let’s leave class-free lowlife Katie to be photographed shagging someone else’s husband in a field.

She’s good at that...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only time I have watched this dross lately is when it's been on one of the screen when I've been down the gym. It's geared up for your average middle-aged frump who has nothing better to do than sit and watch a load of garbage. It's the same crap all the time - crap fashions, sitting around talking bollocks about soaps/big brother/I'm a "celeb" etc etc oh and you could win £50,000 a year for the rest of your life/new car/kitchen blah fking blah. It definitely needs pulling - pile of crud!

Too right, it's the kind of show for women who can't be bothered to do something else and are quite happy to sit in front of this rubbish every day. It's the same with Lorraine, who refers to " us women", all the time as she prattles on about soaps, reality shows and zelebs.
    A far better show is The Wright Stuff on Channel 5, which has far more interesting features and guests and isn't so " female". One feature they did have, which is far more relevant to women in real life than last night's Crap Factor, was the singer Lynsey de Paul discussing women's self defence and why women should learn martial arts. It's a shame This Morning doesn't have things like this.
  • Moody BlueMoody Blue Posts: 5,680
    Forum Member
    jazzyjazzy wrote: »
    Having a sneaky look through Bella and saw that the new "items" for Autumn are to be presented by Louie Spence and his Dad - Peter Andre - Abbey Crouch and (I think) Harry Judd out of Mcfly.
    Wow - can't wait for those. :eek::eek::eek:
    Holly Willoughby also touted to be the saviour of Loose Women with a golden handcuff deal to ITV.
    Thank goodness I will have something better to do in a warmer climate. :D

Lucky you, unfortunately I've taken early retirement and so am stuck with it! :eek:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Moody Blue wrote: »
    Lucky you, unfortunately I've taken early retirement and so am stuck with it! :eek:

So did I and always watched in the days of Fern Britton but can't watch it any more.
    We will be here for a few more weeks yet but will not be watching ITV morning dross.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    For the benefit of younger DSers, Lynsey De Paul was a popular singer in the seventies who later made her name making women's self defence videos.
  • DandemDandem Posts: 13,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Much prefer Holly and Phil to Eamon and Ruth. The amount of bickering (however light-hearted) between the latter two is more than I can take.

I can't stand the debates though no matter who's presenting though. It always seems that one of the people they get on to take part in this debate is a massive d*******.