Options

Does anyone find XS clothing really off putting

CharnhamCharnham Posts: 61,387
Forum Member
✭✭
I went into Outfit today, there is a shirt I want, but the small does not fit me yet (but the medium is oddly big, certainly too big for me to buy), this is in the Burtons half.

Next to the Burtons half is the Topman half, with its XXS and XS sizes, and walking around it I find it kinda scary, its called Top Man, not Topboy.

the Next store close by is little better, again im stock between S and M, I said to the person I was with "If I ever get into that XS, you have my permission to strap me down, and force feed me"

Fine if I work at it I should be able to get into the S's but the XS and XSS are just scary looking.

Comments

• Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Just wear the right size of clothing that fits you. Other than that, what is there to talk about.
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's vanity sizing that narks me. And the insinuation that someone is a child because they are skinny is insulting. Fat equals lazy, and skinny equals childish - I wish these attitudes would just die out.
  • Options
    yourpointbeing?yourpointbeing? Posts: 3,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Topman stock those sizes for skinny teenage boys. Shopping for boys in their early teens who are not into the trackie look is quite difficult.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I dont mind vanity sizing, would rather wear a large small, than a small medium.

jra I just found that part of the store creepy, and was wondering if anyone else does? ive come down from XXXL, so a small in any store is amazing, but there is something about XS clothing that freaks me out.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 761
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Clothes sizes are always as much about height as they are about weight.

Me, I'd look ill if I lost the weight to fit into XS. My cousin on the other hand is only 5 feet tall and she looks good and healthy in XS.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Topman stock those sizes for skinny teenage boys. Shopping for boys in their early teens who are not into the trackie look is quite difficult.
    im 29 now, and Next have some lovely shirts, but im the exact opposite of this "slim fit body shape" which is what so many clothes are these days, even if they fit my belly / waist they look massive on my shoulders.
  • Options
    jrajra Posts: 48,325
    Forum Member
    Charnham wrote: »
    jra I just found that part of the store creepy, and was wondering if anyone else does? ive come down from XXXL, so a small in any store is amazing, but there is something about XS clothing that freaks me out.

XXXL. :o I've never even seen clothing marked that large. I was 16 stone roughly at one time and never needed anything above XL. XS, as you say, is scarily (for want of a better word) small. I'd have to be an anorexic person to fit into those sizes of clothing and probably at least a foot shorter, as I'm 6ft 1" tall.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jra wrote: »
    XXXL. :o I've never even seen clothing marked that large. I was 16 stone roughly at one time and never needed anything above XL. XS, as you say, is scarily (for want of a better word) small. I'd have to be an anorexic person to fit into those sizes of clothing and probably at least a foot shorter, as I'm 6ft 1" tall.
    you wouldn't struggle to get XXXL clothing these days, any of the supermarkets sell them.

You have a point about height however I have a really nice shirt that I ordered online in a small, and it does fit me width wise now, but im too tall for it, this is partly down to the fact its missing 2 inches on the front, that it does have on the back.

At 5'8 im not the tallest bloke, so some small stuff, wont be a problem for me height wise.
  • Options
    DrFlowDemandDrFlowDemand Posts: 2,121
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Charnham wrote: »
    I dont mind vanity sizing, would rather wear a large small, than a small medium.

And then the shop has to bring out the x small size to fit those who used to fit a small until they vanity sized.

I agree about the height thing. One of my brothers is very slender and willowy at the moment but because he's quite tall, anything under an x large looks silly on him. He has proportionately long arms and legs, his clothes would look better if they were slimmer fitting but he has to get them as wide as they are to accommodate his long limbs.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And then the shop has to bring out the x small size to fit those who used to fit a small until they vanity sized.
    fair enough
  • Options
    Biffo the BearBiffo the Bear Posts: 25,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I dunno, I've seen blokes squeeze themselves into tight clothes that are clearly too small for them so couldn't possibly be comfortable.

It's just a passing fad (hopefully).
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Where I used to work they had 4XL.

In the month that I worked there I never sold a 4XL T shirt lol
  • Options
    Andy23Andy23 Posts: 15,926
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would have thought Topman do these XXS sizes because they don't technically stock children's clothes, so they stock very small adult clothes, which is the same thing but which probably makes all the difference when you are a emo/hipster 12 year old.

I find the fact that 12 year olds are shopping in places like Topman a tad annoying in itself. When I used to shop there it was a bit embarrassing seeing a kid 10 years younger wearing the same t-shirt. When I was 12 we were forced to wear children's clothes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Andy23 wrote: »
    I would have thought Topman do these XXS sizes because they don't technically stock children's clothes, so they stock very small adult clothes, which is the same thing but which probably makes all the difference when you are a emo/hipster 12 year old.

I find the fact that 12 year olds are shopping in places like Topman a tad annoying in itself. When I used to shop there it was a bit embarrassing seeing a kid 10 years younger wearing the same t-shirt. When I was 12 we were forced to wear children's clothes.
    what I really hate is when a teenage girl is shopping in the mens section, and picks up the same stuff as me, I cant buy something a teenage girl going to wear, ok im sure there is a reason she is doing so, which means she isnt every teenage girl, but its off putting.

For the reason given above, im quite young clothes wise again, sure when I turn 30 im going to have to age it up a little bit, but for the moment, I dont mind being where fashion is, even if its the first time in my life.
  • Options
    TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    Just wear the right size of clothing that fits you. Other than that, what is there to talk about.

Label sizes in the UK often don't correlate with the actual size so I'd suggest trying on different sizes and just going with what fits.
  • Options
    Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    Erm, no? Every top I own is 'XS' - it's just a size based on chest measurements.

XS = 34-36 inch chest
    S = 36 - 38 inch chest

As somebody with a 36 inch chest, if a top that is labelled 'S' is cut more towards the 38 inch spectrum, it's going to be too baggy for me and a couple of inches too big.

I like my t-shirts and sweaters to be a 'snug' fit so XS is the perfect size for me.

Nobody believes me when I tell them my clothes are an 'XS' and I often show them the label to prove it.

People think 'XS' is for skinny teens, but that's not the case. I'm not skinny at all, but my height and stats tie in with the measurements. I've even worn the odd 'XXS' from river island, whos sizes seem to come up bigger than most other stores...
  • Options
    JB3JB3 Posts: 9,308
    Forum Member
    I think I woke up too early, none of this is making sense to me.
  • Options
    SwipeSwipe Posts: 6,381
    Forum Member
    Jay Bigz wrote: »
    I'm not skinny at all, but my height and stats tie in with the measurements.

34-36 inch chest and you don't think you are skinny? How tall are you? 5ft 2?

i'm 5ft 8 with a 42" chest and I consider myself slim build.
  • Options
    Jay BigzJay Bigz Posts: 5,338
    Forum Member
    Swipe wrote: »
    34-36 inch chest and you don't think you are skinny? How tall are you? 5ft 2?

i'm 5ft 8 with a 42" chest and I consider myself slim build.

My chest is 36 inches - I'm toned and lean, not skinny.

The T-shirt I'm wearing in this is an XS.

Oh, and I'm 5ft 8.

I'm sorry but if you have a 42 inch chest, your measurement size is 'L' or 'XL' - that's on the bigger side and is certainly not 'slim build'.
  • Options
    toyotacitytoyotacity Posts: 762
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have problems buying XS t shirts. I used to be 19 stone and an xxxl and had no problems buying clothes

Now, 5 years later and 8 1/2 stone, I tend to stick to Burtons and Blue Inc, as their Extra Small seem to be the most consistent (Blue Inc's extra small is also labelled as XS Under 14's)

I'm 5ft 7, 28w, 36ch (I was previously 19 stone, 44in waist, 52 in chest)

I find now, though as a 36in chest, that I have to buy Extra Small, as the Small which is shown in some places as 36" is just too big
  • Options
    FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Label sizes in the UK often don't correlate with the actual size so I'd suggest trying on different sizes and just going with what fits.

Yes. For woman it's the same. I range from a 10 to a 14 depending on what shop I'm in.
  • Options
    Blondie XBlondie X Posts: 28,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think XS sizing is due to vanity sizing meaning that, in some shops, an S is now about a size 10/12 which really should be an M. So the XS is needed for those people who are a size 6/8 which should really be what a S fits.

Sizing always used to be S - 8/10 M 12/14 L 16/18 but that doesn't seem to be the case now
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,888
    Forum Member
    I'm glad Topman have XS because sometimes I want a shirt from there and I'm female and little in height. Lots of teenage boys are lanky or skinny so it works for them to have a Small/XS size
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,182
    Forum Member
    Even when I was skinny, I could never fit into an xs. I have a strange long torso compared to my quite short, regular sized legs.
  • Options
    FaithyHFaithyH Posts: 2,826
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Blondie X wrote: »
    I think XS sizing is due to vanity sizing meaning that, in some shops, an S is now about a size 10/12 which really should be an M. So the XS is needed for those people who are a size 6/8 which should really be what a S fits.

Sizing always used to be S - 8/10 M 12/14 L 16/18 but that doesn't seem to be the case now

Some shops only stock xs,s,m they have a handful of large if you are lucky. I'm thinking of Top Shop in particular. In there I am a large or 14 and in New Look i had to have a 16 because of my boobs. Weird. I'm a 10 in Next and a 12 in River Island.