Ant and Dec for Knighthoods?

Simon JacksonSimon Jackson Posts: 8,687
Forum Member
I heard that Ant and Dec are ready for knighthoods when the Queen's birthday honuors comes up. Carol Vorderman could be up for a dame and David Beckham could be in line for a CBE. Also there could be MBEs for Will Young and Shelly Rodman, The woman who gave Britian's it's only silver medal in the Winter Olympics and Wayne Roony could also be getting one too.

Comments

• lots2dolots2do Posts: 2,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely that is an April Fool's joke? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sir Ant & Sir Dec. A joke, please tell me it's a joke.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 638
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Having googled this ghastly prospect, I found this:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/showbiz/showbiznews.html?in_article_id=380937&in_page_id=1773&ito=1490

Seems the Geordie duo are set to interview Wills & Harry, and in the article they jest about receiving a knighthood. So let's hope that's all there is to it.

Becks got the OBE only a couple of years ago, I think an upgrade this soon is unlikely. Maybe after the World Cup?
  • The PrumeisterThe Prumeister Posts: 22,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Celebrities should not be given knighthoods. In fact they should scrap the whole concept as it is an outdated load of old nonsense.
  • pairofpantspairofpants Posts: 7,098
    Forum Member
    Why don't we just go the whole hog and make them Dukes? It's totally ridiculous anyway, FFS! Who did you 'hear' this off, anyway, Simon - The Duke Of Edinburgh??
  • dd68dd68 Posts: 17,841
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its better than waiting until people are just about to drop to give them a title!
  • LilaLila Posts: 6,780
    Forum Member
    Carol Vorderman? :rolleyes: That vowel woman? :p
  • pjb007pjb007 Posts: 13,153
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well known people get knighthoods for just doing their jobs :mad:.

Weather thats TV, Sport, Entertainmnet..............
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 437
    Forum Member
    Becks got the OBE only a couple of years ago, I think an upgrade this soon is unlikely. Maybe after the World Cup?

He will be knighted before his 40th birthday. Charity work and help towards 2012.
  • DivinaCommediaDivinaCommedia Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    JRS01 wrote:
    He will be knighted before his 40th birthday. Charity work and help towards 2012.

I seriously doubt that.
    How many football players apart from Bobby Charlton have got knighthoods? And he didn't get his until he'd retired from playing for many years.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,842
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In answer to the opening question: NO
  • strawberry66strawberry66 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the honors system is so devalued now, that I don't think it means anything anymore :(

They give knighthoods and OBE's etc at a drop of a hat, I am surprised that they haven't started dishing out the Victoria Cross for the slightest thing :(

Nothing seems to mean much any more, so yeah give to Ant and Dec and while they are at it give one to

Jordan for services to silicone

Colleen for shopping in Primark and slumming it
    Kerry Katona for doing nothing at all in the face of adversity

Pete Doherty for offering himself as a human guinea pig to test the effects of heroin and hopefully stopping other youngsters from ending up like him.

But what ever they do they must NOT give any recognition to anyone who actually deserves it :mad:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that the honors system is so devalued now, that I don't think it means anything anymore :(

They give knighthoods and OBE's etc at a drop of a hat, I am surprised that they haven't started dishing out the Victoria Cross for the slightest thing :(

Nothing seems to mean much any more, so yeah give to Ant and Dec and while they are at it give one to

Jordan for services to silicone

Colleen for shopping in Primark and slumming it
    Kerry Katona for doing nothing at all in the face of adversity

Pete Doherty for offering himself as a human guinea pig to test the effects of heroin and hopefully stopping other youngsters from ending up like him.

But what ever they do they must NOT give any recognition to anyone who actually deserves it :mad:

Excellent post :)
  • strawberry66strawberry66 Posts: 1,822
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

thank you :)
  • SPECKLEDUSTSPECKLEDUST Posts: 3,743
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

who does deserve it then?. why do they exist in the first place. If people do real good in the world why do you need regalia?. The whole issuing of Knighthoods and medals is deeply subjective and will never gain every member if the public's approval. :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [QUOTE=SPECKLEDUST]who does deserve it then?. why do they exist in the first place. If people do real good in the world why do you need regalia?. The whole issuing of Knighthoods and medals is deeply subjective and will never gain every member if the public's approval. :confused:[/QUOTE]

Nurses, doctors, firemen, people who do good every day of their working lives with little recognition. Charity workers, fundraisers, surgeons, people who don't spend their careers reading an autocue or singing.
  • acerspadesacerspades Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    strawberry 66,

You summed it up for me!

In the wake of internet rumours about a certain one-time Saturday evening tv presenter who 'granted the wishes of children who wrote in' being given several honours, it would appear that, if these are true (and we won't know until said presenter dies, at least) anyone can be given a gong for very little reason, other than reaching the top of the list!

In the case of the General Public, appraisals within companies are carried out yearly to determine that you are up to standard!

In Celebsville, it would seem that by doing your job - eg winning a medal, acting for X years, etc means you get an honour!

Even when celebs go above and beyond the call of duty and work for charity, this is taken at face value! Bob Geldof received a knighthood for raising money through Live Aid, yet this money was then given to the African governments who squandered it on arms and not food and aid for the people in trouble!

What next? Pete Doherty knighted for being in posession of heroin? :eek: :confused:
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nurses, doctors, firemen, people who do good every day of their working lives with little recognition. Charity workers, fundraisers, surgeons, people who don't spend their careers reading an autocue or singing.

how do you know that people that read autocues don't do charity work as well or fundraise?, and signing can be a wonderful thing especially if your singing for a charity or 'worth while' cause.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    how do you know that people that read autocues don't do charity work as well or fundraise?, and signing can be a wonderful thing especially if your singing for a charity or 'worth while' cause.

Yes, but probably for self serving reasons and IMHO people who do work of this ilk are less deserving than firemen etc...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, but probably for self serving reasons and IMHO people who do work of this ilk are less deserving than firemen etc...

...remember nobody has to do anything they don't want to, that includes 'talentless celebs', even if it is to further their own careers, they are soon easily exposed.

I think that valiant medals should stay firmly in medieval realms of whence it came. If people are going to do good in the world just get on with it and don't look for others to validate your efforts. :)
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    I seriously doubt that.
    How many football players apart from Bobby Charlton have got knighthoods? And he didn't get his until he'd retired from playing for many years.

Sir Stanley Matthews, Sir Alf Ramsey - any more?
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But firemen, nurses, etc DO get awards just like the celebs, it's just they're never reported in the press because most people only want to know about the celebs.
  • Havelock VetinariHavelock Vetinari Posts: 13,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The main problem with celebs is the majority of the public are too obsessed with them. You only have too look at the number of mags with gossip and stories & pics about them. Yet they are sold in the millions every week, mainly to teen girls & twenty something women. Yes guys do buy them as well (before I get knocked for it) but they are mainly bought by the female population. But giving celebs medals for just doing their job kind of sucks. The honours list is what is says an honour for doing something, Saving a childs life whilst in harrowing situation or in great danger to yourself, not for kicking a football round a park. Sadly over the last few years the honours system has been ruined by giving awards to zelebs and will probably only get worse.
  • lots2dolots2do Posts: 2,817
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The only celeb who I felt recently warranted recognition was Jamie Oliver for embarrassing the government and exposing the rubbish that kids were being fed at school each day. Not only did the guy tell it like it was, he also used his celebrity status to do something constructive about it. Yes, he probably made money in the process, but at the end of the day he got results.

People who should be recognised (like long serving medical staff who have made a difference to people's lives, or teachers who have assisted children) get forgotten about and instead someone like Tim Henman gets awarded an OBE for 'services to tennis' (ffs :rolleyes: the guy has never one anything) or members of the royal household who are always being rewarded with honours for dressing and wiping the &rses of the royal family. It's a farce. :mad:
  • DivinaCommediaDivinaCommedia Posts: 195
    Forum Member
    June wrote:
    Sir Stanley Matthews, Sir Alf Ramsey - any more?

Beckham's private life is far to murky for him to get a knighthood.