What is the best book you've read this year?

GemofaBirdGemofaBird Posts: 1,962
Forum Member
✭✭✭
The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini is the best book I've read this year and is now one of my favourite books of all time :)

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horrowitz. I am a child so thats why i read them hehe. Its out as a movie in july 15 something like that
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 211
    Forum Member
    The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets by Eva Rice. I had to read it slowly once I got past halfway as I really didn't want it to end :(
  • trinity2002trinity2002 Posts: 16,059
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The God of Small Things by Arundhati Roy. I thought it was fantastic.
  • FayecorgasmFayecorgasm Posts: 29,793
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OOOO I really enjoyed the Lost art of keeping secrets too,and Gentlemen and players By Joanne harris was an enjoyable read.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,589
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    im stuck between 3 :( either: The Lucifer code:Angels and demons:My Story:A boy called it,Lost boy,Man named dave. not sure which one out of those i liked more
  • GemofaBirdGemofaBird Posts: 1,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    hanspam wrote:
    The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets by Eva Rice. I had to read it slowly once I got past halfway as I really didn't want it to end :(

Thanks, I'll get this next, I'm currently reading The Shadow of the Wind but only 1 chapter in.
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    hey_jude wrote:
    The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini is the best book I've read this year and is now one of my favourite books of all time :)

It's wonderful isn't it :) , definately one of my favourite books of all time - sobbed like a small child at the end :cry::o
  • GemofaBirdGemofaBird Posts: 1,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's wonderful isn't it :) , definately one of my favourite books of all time - sobbed like a small child at the end :cry::o

Me too! That's the first time I've cried like that at a book!
  • SherazSheraz Posts: 1,560
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Madame Bovary from Gustave Flaubert.
    Nana from Emile Zola (i read it twice as i have an essay to do for Uni and i chosed that novel) :)

Another book that i read age ago, i was young but i still can remember how i was really moved and sting by that non fictionnal novel , it's Ghost Girl From Torey Hayden ... i think i will chose that one definitivily!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 176
    Forum Member
    BoBaDoB wrote:
    im stuck between 3 :( either: The Lucifer code:Angels and demons:My Story:A boy called it,Lost boy,Man named dave. not sure which one out of those i liked more
    God, they're depressing choices! I've read them but I wouldn't regard them as "good" in a literary sense, just very a harrowing true story.
    Mine's The Time Traveller's Wife. If you haven't read it and truly enjoy a good book, read it. Fanbleedingtastic. In my top 3 books of all times.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,649
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the best book I've read so far this year is probably Carry On Jeeves (P G Wodehouse), not only because it's more or less the first one I've read since finishing my MA although that was a major factor! I know some people who don't really take to Wodehouse's style but I find it quite soothing for some reason, very light but with a taut plot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,679
    Forum Member
    Jonathan Strange & Mr Norrell.

I just ran a search for a mention of it on this forum and only found it mentioned in two, one of which was books you've given up on. :(

I think it's a wonderful book, I've not enjoyed reading a book so much in ages and really didn't want it to end.

I'm just in awe of Susanna Clarke's imagination and the wonderful images she conjured (oh dear did I really use that word?!) up in my head.
  • DrelldosDrelldos Posts: 5,204
    Forum Member
    Leahbear wrote:
    Mine's The Time Traveller's Wife. If you haven't read it and truly enjoy a good book, read it. Fanbleedingtastic. In my top 3 books of all times.

Mine too. Absolutely adore the book. Absolutely amazing for a first time novel. I'm re-reading it at the moment. It is an excellent book.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,507
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bumble-boo wrote:
    Stormbreaker by Anthony Horrowitz. I am a child so thats why i read them hehe. Its out as a movie in july 15 something like that

Yeah this was good, ive read all of them :D

i really like the Chris Ryan books from ALpha Force

Brilliant!! :D:D:D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 836
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Kevnaldo wrote:
    Yeah this was good, ive read all of them :D

i really like the Chris Ryan books from ALpha Force

Brilliant!! :D:D:D

Ohh i know them i was thinking about getting them :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,203
    Forum Member
    I'm stuck between the Lincon Rhyme books. That's a hard question....... I've read so many.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,346
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I liked 'The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets' by Eva Rice and "My Sisters Keeper' by Jodi Picoult. Also any of Sophie Kinsellas novels, especially the Shopaholic series. If u want a good laugh, read them, they're so good!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,686
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No Place Like Home: A Black Briton's Journey Through the American South by Gary Younge. He's a great writer, and it was extremely interesting (and educational). Totally different to my normal reading material and I'm really grateful to the friend who recommended it to me. Younge's pieces in the The Guardian are always worth reading too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 747
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked 'The Lost Art of Keeping Secrets' by Eva Rice and "My Sisters Keeper' by Jodi Picoult. Also any of Sophie Kinsellas novels, especially the Shopaholic series. If u want a good laugh, read them, they're so good!

Oh, i loved The Pact by Jodi Picoult, it was a really good holiday read.

My favourite books this year have got to be Enduring Love by Ian McEwen, and The Front Runner by Patricia Nell Warren. Ah, but I'm also dying to reread the Lord of the RIngs, after which that will be my favourite 'book' of the year I'm afraid... it always is :rolleyes:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 381
    Forum Member
    A Short History of Tractors in Ukranian

Don't let the title put you off - such a hilarious family comedy-melo-drama! - Found myself laughing out loud and smikring to myself whilst reading this... My only problem with it is that it's too short! - I read it in just one sitting!

or...

A Heart-Breaking Work of Staggering Genius

This is my number one this year - and i still haven't finished reading it... Such an honest, funny and touching book... If you have brothers or sisters - read this!
  • Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Fallen deeply in love with One Big Damm Puzzler by John McGregor, a tale of Shakespear, OCD, landmines, magic and green slingbacks :D Brilliant stuff, loved every word and am out this week to track down more of his stuff.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,587
    Forum Member
    Andrew Flintoff auto biogarahy is worth a read if your a sports fan or like biographys
  • NasalhairNasalhair Posts: 2,243
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've really enjoyed "Sea Otters Gambolling In The Wild, Wild Surf" by John Bennett, "Black Swan Green" by Davd Mitchell, and "The Incredible Adam Spark" by Alan Bisset. At the moment I'm thoroughly enjoying "The Bloodstone Papers" by Glen Duncan, but I've been a massive fan of his stuff right from his first book anyway so I'm kind of biased.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 675
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Best book Janey Godley ...Handstands in the Dark
  • Xadlei XemnasXadlei Xemnas Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member
    artemis fowl: the decipher code

that was pretty good.