Options

iOS 8 release - 17/09/2014

Comments

• Options
    whoever,heywhoever,hey Posts: 30,992
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, it was introduced in iOS 7. The data stays on the phone and isn't uploaded anywhere. Good for privacy, but annoying if you get a new phone. I've just got the iPhone 6, and now I have to wait for it to learn those things all over again.

It doesn't just learn home and work, but patterns of behaviour. If you go to the same place a couple of Saturday evenings in a row, you'll find it automatically telling you how long it'll take to get there when Saturday comes round again.

Sounds like google now.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 13,367
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In iOS 7, if you used the torch and locked the screen, you could switch it off by tapping the camera icon on the lock screen. This no longer works in iOS 8.
  • Options
    anyonefortennisanyonefortennis Posts: 111,858
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    jchamier wrote: »
    If you have a 5s or 6 or 6+ then it has a built in chip (M7 or M8) for tracking motion, steps, stairs etc. If you have a 5 or 5c then it doesn't and so won't show anything.

In theory this will sync to other systems, such as Nike, Fitbit, Jawbone UP/UP24 etc, but Apple pulled the link just before releasing iOS 8 - so we need an 8.01 !

Do you have to input all the information like steps, heartbeat, vitals etc from another source or does the phone obtain those details from you somehow?
  • Options
    tycho-magtycho-mag Posts: 8,664
    Forum Member
    Sounds like google now.

Yes, but Google Now sends that information back to Google's data centres, so they can send you adverts based on where you are / what you do regularly etc. Er no thanks!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sounds like google now.

Yeah, except (imo) sacrifices some of its usefulness/potential for increased privacy. The data is only stored on the device so there are limits to what it can do.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Do you have to input all the information like steps, heartbeat, vitals etc from another source or does the phone obtain those details from you somehow?

If you already use fitbit/jawbone/my fitness pal or similar then I would wait until they can sync over.

The heartbeat is probably for the Apple Watch as it has heartbeat sensors!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, but Google Now sends that information back to Google's data centres, so they can send you adverts based on where you are / what you do regularly etc. Er no thanks!
    Yeah, except (imo) sacrifices some of its usefulness/potential for increased privacy. The data is only stored on the device so there are limits to what it can do.

Ha, two contrasting viewpoints there! Well, I don't necessarily disagree with the first one, but I think there's a balance to be struck somewhere.
  • Options
    Lidtop2013Lidtop2013 Posts: 4,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yeah how does it work? I've got a 5S and when I go on the health app there's no data recorded for anything, how do you start it recording everything?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    If you already use fitbit/jawbone/my fitness pal or similar then I would wait until they can sync over.

The heartbeat is probably for the Apple Watch as it has heartbeat sensors!

I don't have any of those Apps yet. I thought you could get your bpm and other things by just placing your finger on the home button or somewhere else on the screen and it could read your pulse rate. Perhaps I am asking too much from a phone. :D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't have any of those Apps yet. I thought you could get your bpm and other things by just placing your finger on the home button or somewhere else on the screen and it could read your pulse rate. Perhaps I am asking too much from a phone. :D

The Withings app has that very function.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    The Withings app has that very function.

Oh really? And is that part of the Apple Health App?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    8.0.1 had better fix the notifications bug, and it had better come quickly!

By the way, for anyone experiencing 'stuck' notifications that can't be swiped away, a press of the home button seems to clear them without exiting the app that you're in. But this needs to be fixed quickly.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh really? And is that part of the Apple Health App?

It's a standalone app. Whether it'll feed data into Health once the HealthKit bug is fixed, I don't know.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    It's a standalone app. Whether it'll feed data into Health once the HealthKit bug is fixed, I don't know.

ok thanks. You would think the Health app would be able to do all these things.
  • Options
    Loobs72Loobs72 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Try turning notifications off, turn your phone off and back on again. Then turn notifications back on again.

I am still not getting the headlines showing up. Can anyone help?
  • Options
    KesterKKesterK Posts: 3,485
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Loobs72 wrote: »
    I am still not getting the headlines showing up. Can anyone help?

Try uninstalling them and starting from scratch.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In the Music app, the letters on the right hand side don't work when I'm in the Artists tab. This is only on my iPhone 6. It works fine on the 5s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Noticed something else new in photos, there's a deleted section which shows deleted pictures and each one has a number of days remaining until it's permenently deleted. I like that for times that you accidently delete something or look back through them and decide that you want to keep it. Nice touch
  • Options
    FaustFaust Posts: 8,985
    Forum Member
    Do people really think these watches will catch on with the public at large? It's already been noted that the younger generation aren't wearing watches anywhere near the same extent as their parents do.

Another point is battery life. The battery in my watch lasts on average 2 years, the batteries in these smart watches last around 2 days. Do people really want yet another device they have to constantly charge up?

Time may well prove me wrong, however, I think this has to be one of the most pointless devices to be released in a long time. It appears to me that manufacturers are desperately looking around for the next 'big thing' to milk us of yet more of our cash.

Wearables, watches, fitness apps - it all looks pretty desperate from where I'm sitting.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    Yeah how does it work? I've got a 5S and when I go on the health app there's no data recorded for anything, how do you start it recording everything?

You might need to go into Settings-> Privacy, Motion Activity, and turn on Health?

I didn't have 8 on my 5s, but after I input my height and weight under body measurements, the dashboard now shows how many steps I've done with my phone. Apparently under 2000 today. (Lazy Sunday). Probably because my phone isn't in my pocket when I'm at home :)

I assume when the other apps can connect, the Sources tab in Health will let us choose which apps can feed in what data.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You might need to go into Settings-> Privacy, Motion Activity, and turn on Health?

I didn't have 8 on my 5s, but after I input my height and weight under body measurements, the dashboard now shows how many steps I've done with my phone. Apparently under 2000 today. (Lazy Sunday). Probably because my phone isn't in my pocket when I'm at home :)

I assume when the other apps can connect, the Sources tab in Health will let us choose which apps can feed in what data.

There's is no "on" button, I went to privacy and motion activity but when I click on motion activity it just says apps that have requested will appear here. No buttons? Maybe I'll try putting in my measurements
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Lidtop2013 wrote: »
    There's is no "on" button, I went to privacy and motion activity but when I click on motion activity it just says apps that have requested will appear here. No buttons? Maybe I'll try putting in my measurements

The Health app seems generally broken. It's showing 'no data' for me as well at the moment. Try downloading an app like Steps+ as a test, to check if your M7 processor is actually recording data. It should import your steps for the last ten days or so.
  • Options
    Anika HansonAnika Hanson Posts: 15,629
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Siri is now working but copy and paste is broken.
  • Options
    Stuart_hStuart_h Posts: 5,311
    Forum Member
    Very impressed with ythe new iOS 8 "Wave" charging method !

Now THAT's innovation :D
  • Options
    d123d123 Posts: 8,605
    Forum Member
    It's pretty annoying that ios 8 has broken browser uploading, I often used tinypic or postimage to quickly upload photos to share with others at work.

Now I have to use photobucket via its app, increased complication and having to remember to set permissions as a person can then browse your albums from the link, unlike the others that only show the single image linked to.