Options

Discussion is meaningless

13»

Comments

• Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surely it's the Moderators' role to weed out rule-busting posts and issuing warnings and bans, rather than arbitrarily closing down threads. Other forums seem to manage this.

I think I agree with you. The topic was current and well worth debating and discussing but within pages it was derailed and. I think on this occasion the disrupters should have been removed in order to allow some kind of meaningful discussion to continue.

But unless we are talking about fave things, memories from yesterday or other more frivolous stuff then any discussion of serious topics end pretty quickly . Respect for others opinions is lost in the anonymity forums and social media offers.
  • Options
    benjaminibenjamini Posts: 32,066
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aftershow wrote: »
    It's not really a 'public forum' though. Yes - the general public have the right to sign up, but it is run by, and is therefore the responsibility of, a private company.

When the people under discussion are so notably litigious, it is understandable that those responsible are going to moderate it with a firm hand.

I actually meant the topic of trolling and all that that entails. Not interested in the other subject. I meant more generally.
  • Options
    frisky pythonfrisky python Posts: 9,737
    Forum Member
    Surely it's the Moderators' role to weed out rule-busting posts and issuing warnings and bans, rather than arbitrarily closing down threads. Other forums seem to manage this.

I would agree, but it really is up to DS how they wish to run their site. If there are only a few staff, then keeping an eye on ALL of the threads on all the forums must be a challenge and it's probably much easier to close a thread than continue to monitor it.