Sky+HD without subscription?

esperantoesperanto Posts: 191
Forum Member
Does anyone have the above?

I have just upgraded and the deal is dependant on 12 months subs to Sky HD.

I am a little concerned that if I cancel the HD after a year, will my present HD channels be replaced by non HD, or will I lose access to the channels.

As an example Ch 116 on my old box was BBC Four.
Ch 116 has now changed to BBC Four HD.

So on ending the contract, will 116 revert to non-HD, or will it stay as BBC Four HD and show a box saying contact Sky to receive?

Comments

• chenkschenks Posts: 13,231
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    if you cancel the HD part then you will indeed lose access to the subscription HD channels (with the exception of the free channels which remain viewable).

the HD swap (which is what puts BBC 4 HD at 116) may revert and put BBC 4 SD at 116... the HD will still version will still be viewable though, just at a different number.
  • popeye13popeye13 Posts: 8,573
    Forum Member
    chenks wrote: »
    if you cancel the HD part then you will indeed lose access to the subscription HD channels (with the exception of the free channels which remain viewable).

the HD swap (which is what puts BBC 4 HD at 116) may revert and put BBC 4 SD at 116... the HD will still version will still be viewable though, just at a different number.

My FSFS box has the HD swap for the BBC channels so i think the OP would be okay for them.
  • esperantoesperanto Posts: 191
    Forum Member
    Update:

Well hows this for pulling a fast one, just had a letter stating that my package is now:

Family @ £33 (was£28).

Sky+ Subscription £0.00

So I guess that means if I cancel the Sky+ subscription after a year, my bill will stay the same! >:(

Slimy or what?
  • jimbojimbo Posts: 16,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Sky+ (not to be confused with Sky+HD) has been free for a few years nbow.

"Sky+" is the recording element that makes a Sky+ box record onto the hard-drive.

Without this you will not be able to record on your Sky+ box's hard-drive. They used to charge for this some years ago.

I just wish they would see sense and not charge for HD separately.

It is odd youhave had £5 added to your bill. It may be that you have come to the end of a promotion or been put automatically on an updated package.

Can't be sure but hope that helps.
    Forum Member
    The added £5 is for the HD element which I have just added, point being it is NOT listed as an extra to the Family package.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    esperanto wrote: »
    The added £5 is for the HD element which I have just added, point being it is NOT listed as an extra to the Family package.

Correct - the Family Bundle includes HD versions of all the channels you subscribe to - and costs you an extra £5 per month compared to if you weren't getting the HD channels (£33).

The Variety Bundle does not include any subscription HD channels - and costs £28 per month. So, a fiver less. You also don't get access to the TV box sets with the Variety Bundle.

However, you started spouting something about Sky being slimy for not charging you anything for Sky+ - which they haven't done for TV subscribers for over 7 years, and is absolutely nothing to do with what HD channels you do or don't receive.

In twelve months' time, if you want to revert to getting your channels for a fiver less, and without the subscription HD channels included, then you will be allowed to - and your bill will be for the Variety Bundle, not the Family Bundle. Not sure where the confusion has arisen, here, other than you not understanding the different terms for the different packages (Family and Variety).
    Forum Member
    Correct - the Family Bundle includes HD versions of all the channels you subscribe to - and costs you an extra £5 per month compared to if you weren't getting the HD channels (£33).

The Variety Bundle does not include any subscription HD channels - and costs £28 per month. So, a fiver less. You also don't get access to the TV box sets with the Variety Bundle.

However, you started spouting something about Sky being slimy for not charging you anything for Sky+ - which they haven't done for TV subscribers for over 7 years, and is absolutely nothing to do with what HD channels you do or don't receive.
    Spouting?
    It was a simple mistake, quite obvious if you check the OP.

And my package has always been called "Family", and still is.
  • Chasing ShadowsChasing Shadows Posts: 3,096
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spouting?

Well, yes. Starting your post with "How's this for pulling a fast one" and finishing with "Slimy or what?" does make it look like you were spouting off about Sky - when they have done nothing wrong. Added the HD Pack to your existing subscription, so you are now getting the Family Bundle, rather than the Variety Bundle.
    And my package has always been called "Family", and still is.

I think there used to be a Family pack (note pack, not bundle) which included some (maybe all) of the six variety packs available (Entertainment, News, Kids, Music, Knowledge, Lifestyle). But they stopped selling these individual packs a while ago.

It's all explained quite simply on Sky's website:-

http://www.sky.com/products/sky-tv/original-bundle/