Options

Why do they never mention Matt's £15,000 a year school..........

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,950
    Forum Member
    Reven wrote: »
    Good question, OP. They also haven't mentioned that he was "fast tracked" to the finals of X Factor "because he has a mate in production" according to that tweet of Steve Brookstein I read yesterday. (stevebrookstein on twitter) He seems to be getting quite a few advantages in life that ordinary people don't get. Pity he sees fit to look down on his more ordinary fellow contestants after all he's gotten in life. A bit of a spoilt brat, methinks!

I won't be basing my votes on anything Steve Brookstein tweets ;)
  • Options
    RevenReven Posts: 2,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mazzamac2 wrote: »
    you shouldn't believe everything you tweet , reven:D

Lol, I'm not him. I'd honestly never heard of him before joining this forum. You get to learn about him here, though!
  • Options
    RevenReven Posts: 2,513
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There is quite a bit more than that.

Spill the rest of the beans!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,334
    Forum Member
    Lol, I'm not him. I'd honestly never heard of him before joining this forum. You get to learn about him here, though!

The reason for being here has to be part enjoyment ..I try to make that as big a part as possible reven:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Spill the rest of the beans!

she can't ; she's from beyond the grave; we have to listen to her hints and work it out for ourselves reven.
    The question is: will it be worth the effort:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    she can't ; she's from beyond the grave; we have to listen to her hints and work it out for ourselves reven.
    The question is: will it be worth the effort:confused:

I wouldn't trust anyone who is such a frequent visitor to the manky vest thread ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't trust anyone who is such a frequent visitor to the manky vest thread ;)

Oh! How could you! I love my Matt with all my heart and believe that he can win! That surely is a display of divine trust and one that is worthy of emulating:cool:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Oh! How could you! I love my Matt with all my heart and believe that he can win! That surely is a display of divine trust and one that is worthy of emulating:cool:

I was actually talking about GhostlyMary. I know you are loyal to Matt and his manky vest :)
  • Options
    SCUSASCUSA Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I don't necessarily think they are trying to portray a rags to riches with Matt, I always got more of the impression that they were presenting him as someone who was sort of aimlessly wandering trying to firgure out what he wanted to do. (or aimlessly wandering as he continued to try to break into a music career).
  • Options
    CARA2000CARA2000 Posts: 10,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What have school fees and painting and decorating jobs got to do with a person being a star performer or not?

It is no secret that Matt was a jobbing musician. He took jobs to support his passion for music and performing. Is there something wrong in that even if your parents afforded school fees?

My son was working part time whilst at Uni. Now he has a job whilst his film career takes off. It takes a while to build up a portfolio. Meanwhile, he has to pay for his keep whilst working at his eventual career. Both go hand in hand.

What is your problem OP? Because it is definitely you who has the problem. In the normal world people take opportunity and live with the threats. :confused:
  • Options
    CARA2000CARA2000 Posts: 10,640
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SCUSA wrote: »
    I don't necessarily think they are trying to portray a rags to riches with Matt, I always got more of the impression that they were presenting him as someone who was sort of aimlessly wandering trying to firgure out what he wanted to do. (or aimlessly wandering as he continued to try to break into a music career).

I don't get the feeling they are portraying him as aimless.

He had clear Aims and Objectives most certainly, but his objectives were frustrating him as not always working. That is how I see him portrayed.
  • Options
    SCUSASCUSA Posts: 801
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    CARA2000 wrote: »
    I don't get the feeling they are portraying him as aimless.

He had clear Aims and Objectives most certainly, but his objectives were frustrating him as not always working. That is how I see him portrayed.

I didn't say what I was thinking very clearly.... I was refrencing the Painter job as representing him not giving up on music... sort of not jumping into a "career" type job because his heart was still set on music. (Not that Painting can't be a career... But in his case as he mentioned on one of the Backstory bits, this is not something he really enjoyed.)

.....All of this, as opposed to the rags to riches bit mentioned by the OP.

(clear as mud now:cool:)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,310
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When it was week one of X Factor live shows Konnie Huq was on breakfast TV and was asked about the contestants. When she was asked about Matt the painter and decorator she said Matt was surprised that was how he was being referred to as he had only helped a mate out painting his hotel and had also worked in the bar there, it was just to earn a bit of extra cash and not his everyday job.

It is a lesson on how these programmes work. You have to fill in a huge questionnaire about your life, education, jobs, funny stories etc, etc and they are expert at picking out what will be the hook to hang your back story on. For Matt it was painting and decorating and not his private school. For Paije it was his part time job in a cinema and not him being a fashion student or acting in a Harry Potter film (until it became relevant). For Mary and Rebecca it is the lack of confidence story ignoring any singing they had done in the past.

It's what they do every year and it surprises me that it still surprises any viewers.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That's his parent's money, and they chose to spend it on something worthwhile. He worked as a painter/decorator because that was his job, would it be better if he sat at home and lived off mommy and daddy?

Thank you. Well said.
    Boarding/Private school brats have no choice in the matter nor are they naturally cleverer than kids who go to state schools.
    Some parents choose to spend their money on giving their child a priveledged education. So what, it's their choice.
    Matt has had numerous jobs because his life's ambition was to be a recording artist and he worked tirelessly at that too alongside all those menial day jobs he has done.
    Would people be happier if he sat back on the dole waiting for a knock at his door?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,667
    Forum Member
    ribtickle wrote: »
    Him coming from a privileged background does change things slightly for me tbh, as it did for season 2's Maria Lawson, whose husband was a multi-millionaire property developer.

IMO when people have partners/families who are obviously not short of a bob or two, then their kith & kin should believe in them enough (as they expect others to do), to put their own money where their mouths are (as they expect other supporters to do) and help launch them. Or help them record HQ demo's to take around the labels. It's not impossible to do a download-only album release over the web via a personal web site, or press up some CDRs, if you have that bit of money for the outlay.

When you take part in something like the X Factor you occupy a space which countless others have no choice in life but to try for - they have no financial/opportunity alternative, and winning is going to be like winning the Lottery.

It's ironic that Matt loathes Wagner's inclusion in the competition, because arguably Matt's own position there, while a capable singer, could be considered more unworthy - in terms of him wanting to win the opportunity to make loads of money when his lifestyle has probably already been pretty sweet.

I don't think this is quite fair. Just because Matt's family is comfortable, that doesn't mean that he himself has the money to launch a career in the music business, and I don't blame him for not wanting to ask his parents for help.

I went to a decent private school - not £15k/year, but certainly not cheap - because, frankly, it was a choice between that & the local sink school; however, my parents made it very clear to me that upon completion of my undergrad, it was up to me to earn my own money. (& right now, I'm looking for minimum wage positions just to save up for grad school.)

If parents make the choice to invest in their children's education, that doesn't obligate them to invest more money further down the line, especially since launching somebody in the music business can be very expensive & very difficult to guarantee success in. Also, a huge amount of the benefit from X-Factor is the added platform it gives contestants - you can't buy that kind of public awareness. (unless you bought billboards on every street in the country, but that would just make you a bit annoying.)

Plus, it's quite clear that Matt and his bands have actually released quite a bit of material for download, as you suggest, and the Darwyn one has now released a physical CD. However, I have very little doubt that few people would have heard of them if not for TXF, and there are thousands of indie bands trying to gain success at any one time - would they really have stood out enough?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MrsSpoon wrote: »
    Thank you. Well said.
    Boarding/Private school brats have no choice in the matter nor are they naturally cleverer than kids who go to state schools.
    Some parents choose to spend their money on giving their child a priveledged education. So what, it's their choice.
    Matt has had numerous jobs because his life's ambition was to be a recording artist and he worked tirelessly at that too alongside all those menial day jobs he has done.
    Would people be happier if he sat back on the dole waiting for a knock at his door?

Yes they would... he'd probably be more of a role model to some of the losers on here ;)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Yes they would... he'd probably be more of a role model to some of the losers on here ;)

that's toasted , toasted:D:D
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think the message is: if you don't like a contestant, you don't like anything they or their family and friends have ever done or ever will do and if it is the same thing as has been done by the contestant you do like, then it was done for a different reason and not a good one.
  • Options
    Dani MDani M Posts: 168
    Forum Member
    I don't really care about any of the past these guys have. I judge on talent. Matt has the most beautiful voice there. That's enough for me.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,613
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Dani M wrote: »
    I don't really care about any of the past these guys have. I judge on talent. Matt has the most beautiful voice there. That's enough for me.

It's enough for me too.

I also really love George Michael's music and voice and he isn't exactly squeaky clean.

Matt's voice is special and I definately want to buy an album of his. Same goes for Mary if she puts one out.
  • Options
    Rosie RedRosie Red Posts: 8,446
    Forum Member
    ..... but bleat on about him being a painter and decorator?

Not to mention the amount of times Katie's school has been mentioned in the press.

What's sauce for the goose ............

:rolleyes:

The contestants aren't responsible for a lot of what gets into the Press, and who cares about Matt's school anyway.
  • Options
    YULSTARYULSTAR Posts: 593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    vidalia wrote: »
    When it was week one of X Factor live shows Konnie Huq was on breakfast TV and was asked about the contestants. When she was asked about Matt the painter and decorator she said Matt was surprised that was how he was being referred to as he had only helped a mate out painting his hotel and had also worked in the bar there, it was just to earn a bit of extra cash and not his everyday job.

It is a lesson on how these programmes work. You have to fill in a huge questionnaire about your life, education, jobs, funny stories etc, etc and they are expert at picking out what will be the hook to hang your back story on. For Matt it was painting and decorating and not his private school. For Paije it was his part time job in a cinema and not him being a fashion student or acting in a Harry Potter film (until it became relevant). For Mary and Rebecca it is the lack of confidence story ignoring any singing they had done in the past.

It's what they do every year and it surprises me that it still surprises any viewers.

Spot on
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ..... but bleat on about him being a painter and decorator?

Not to mention the amount of times Katie's school has been mentioned in the press.

What's sauce for the goose ............

Wh cares? At the time he auditioned he was painiting and decorarting, therefore that's what he was. Yes he's had a privileged background, but he's at least always worked, he's self-funded his album etc, no one had just given it to him.

I don't see why it's relevant.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 18,108
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Eurostar wrote: »
    There were lots of rumours this year about the producers being in cahoots with agents and singers being invited to audition.I heard stories that agents were instructed which audition to send each act to.

I believe the same thing happened with Big Brother....according to Victor Ebuwa and Nasty Nick,at least two or three housemates this year never auditioned to compete but were invited on to the show by the producers.

That's what ruined Big Brother imo

It's not fair if they're fast tracking certain contestants to the final.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    eduble wrote: »
    That's what ruined Big Brother imo

It's not fair if they're fast tracking certain contestants to the final.

Apart from Wagner I would imagine all the others were invited to audition.