Harry Potter - The Play.

ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
Forum Member
✭✭✭
A new stage play based on the Harry Potter series is due to open in the West End within two years.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/theatre-dance/news/harry-potter-headed-for-west-end-in-new-play-produced-by-jk-rowling-9017736.html

Sounds like a fun idea and will be interesting to see how it all works out. :)

Thoughts?

Comments

• SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than go and see that.
  • Granny McSmithGranny McSmith Posts: 19,622
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SHAFT wrote: »
    I'd rather stick pins in my eyes than go and see that.

I'm guessing you haven't read the books? Usually people who say things like that haven't.

Those who have read them seem to love them. Quite right as they are excellent.

I'm not sure how they'd do a stage play, though - will they cover all the books? The films were quite poor in depicting the whole story, so I don't see how they can cram it all into one play.

Anyway, it's immaterial to me as I live nowhere near anywhere it will be shown.

Best of luck to all involved, though. :)
  • ROWLING2010ROWLING2010 Posts: 3,909
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The play is going to be about Harry's life before he discovered he was a wizard and went to Hogwarts.

I just hope they don't make it in to a musical.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm guessing you haven't read the books? Usually people who say things like that haven't.

Only the first one which I found too twee and derivative for my tastes. I suspect I was just too old to enjoy it.For someone who certainly doesn't need the money Rowling seems determined to milk her cash cow dry.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The play is going to be about Harry's life before he discovered he was a wizard and went to Hogwarts.

I just hope they don't make it in to a musical.

Oh dear. Why?
    Only the first one which I found too twee and derivative for my tastes. I suspect I was just too old to enjoy it.For someone who certainly doesn't need the money Rowling seems determined to milk her cash cow dry.

I read the books this year for the first time, and I'm 64.:D

The first books are aimed at younger children, of course. I know some call them derivative, but that ignores the inventiveness. By the time I read the seventh book I was overwhelmed with admiration for Rowling's achievement.

(By the way, I have read a lot of books - everything from Christie to Dostoevsky, Blyton to the Brontes)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An all singing/dancing version of Harry Potter? I shudder at the thought of it.

That would just be ridiculous in my opinion.

Looking forward to seeing some untold back story about what happened to Harry before he attended Hogwarts.

If we want to see a HP based musical we can always go on youtube and watch the parody version made by Darren Criss and friends.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Looking forward to seeing some untold back story about what happened to Harry before he attended Hogwarts.

If we want to see a HP based musical we can always go on youtube and watch the parody version made by Darren Criss and friends.

Well, I'm a huge fan of the books, less so the films, but the thought of some "backstory" makes me feel a bit queasy. It's totally unnecessary.

I don't want to believe J K Rowling is doing it for the money, but I'm afraid it does seem like she is.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thinking that she is doing it for the money is also ridiculous.

She doesn't need or want the money.

For all we know she may be donating all proceeds to charity as she has done countless times before.

JK Rowling has never been a person to milk the cash cow dry.

To suggest it is, is an insult to her.

She chooses her projects wisely and does not just accept and allow any old idea.

Good on her to take a break and explore new options, write new books etc.

At the end of the day HP is her creation and she can do what she likes with it.

As a massive Harry Potter fan, I welcome this decision.
  • MagicCoppeliaMagicCoppelia Posts: 20,874
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

" We gotta get back to Hogwarts":D. I still live in hope that Jo will revisit the world of Harry in book form one day. (Not necessarily Harry's story.):)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    " We gotta get back to Hogwarts":D. I still live in hope that Jo will revisit the world of Harry in book form one day. (Not necessarily Harry's story.):)

I wish she had stuck with the Wizarding world rather than gone on to write (imo) rather dreary and banal real-world based books.

The Founders, or the Marauders* would surely have provided some good material.

*(I'm not just saying this because I would like more Sirius. :D)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Good on her to take a break and explore new options, write new books etc.

Badly.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Badly.

Have you read them?

Admittedly The Casual Vacancy isn't the greatest of books and I struggled to get through it but it's not terrible either. Like most books it had its positives and negatives.

The Cuckoo's Calling is a brilliant book and I am looking forward to seeing the second book in the series. Which is hopefully being released next year. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Have you read them?

Admittedly The Casual Vacancy isn't the greatest of books and I struggled to get through it but it's not terrible either. Like most books it had its positives and negatives.

The Cuckoo's Calling is a brilliant book and I am looking forward to seeing the second book in the series. Which is hopefully being released next year. :)

I have read them! Pretty average writing and that's being generous.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have read them! Pretty average writing and that's being generous.

I have read them and whilst she isn't the best writer, she is a very good story teller and knows how to create interesting and likable characters. If you dislike her work so much, why have you bothered to read both her new novels? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,941
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I think it would have been better and more interesting if she had written prequels based on Harry's parents and the rise of Tom Riddle. Harry's life before hogwarts doesn't seem remotely appealing and neither does the idea of a play. I can understand that as an artist she wants to explore different mediums, but I don't think this would be the best subject matter for it.