Options

Has Facebook become less popular?

daza1978daza1978 Posts: 493
Forum Member
Does anyone else think FB isnt used as much these days? The name itself dosent seem to show up as much now and people dont seem to talk about the site as much. What ever happened to those games on there?

Comments

• Options
    Random42Random42 Posts: 2,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I haven't got an FB account and never intend to have one, so from my perspective it's always been unused.
  • Options
    netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, it's still very popular.
  • Options
    Flat MattFlat Matt Posts: 7,023
    Forum Member
    It's a handy way of speaking to several people at the same time and I use it to arrange meeting up with my old school mates for a pint, but that's about it.

I do log on each day, but never post anything and neither do most of my friends. It's usually just cluttered up with the same handful of people posting vacuous crap suggesting that I share something to show support for our troops or other equally tedious shite... and photographs of their food for some reason. ^_^
  • Options
    Super FrogSuper Frog Posts: 11,480
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My feed can go days without many new posts and those are generally mums posting stories/pics of their kids or the occasional photo set from someone at a night out.
  • Options
    JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With certain groups of people it probably has dropped off slightly, but then they seem to think this is an indicator that everyone has stopped using it when it's very, very far from the case as there are still many hundreds of millions of active daily users.

This is why Facebook bought Whatsapp, mainly because a lot of youngsters are moving to things like that at Snapchat.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 91
    Forum Member
    Well I don't have a facebook account, I did but not anymore.

it just causes trouble in my opinion
  • Options
    BunionsBunions Posts: 15,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think some have left because the novelty wore off and others are using it differently now like joining closed groups.

The fact that updates aren't showing in timelines or newsfeeds doesn't mean that people aren't active on the site.
  • Options
    venusinflaresvenusinflares Posts: 4,194
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't use it anymore. It causes too much trouble.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 29,701
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Only amongst DS users :D I'm on Facebook daily :p
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It doesn't cause any trouble if you don't take it as seriously as many seem to do and incorporate it into your life to such an extent that you can't make major life decisions without it being on Facebook in some form or another.
  • Options
    O-JO-J Posts: 18,851
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I stopped using it a lot now, Its the silly vines, meme's and the invention of the like button that ruined it for me!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,341
    Forum Member
    It doesn't cause any trouble

It gets mentioned frequently on the Jeremy Kyle show 'YOU SAID THIS ABOUT ME/STARTED A RUMOUR ABOUT ME ON FACEBOOK YOU ****/LYING *****!!!>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    motsy wrote: »
    It gets mentioned frequently on the Jeremy Kyle show 'YOU SAID THIS ABOUT ME/STARTED A RUMOUR ABOUT ME ON FACEBOOK YOU ****/LYING *****!!!>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(>:(

.. as i said - "if you don't take it seriously" :)

Anyway, another bugbear of mine about it is the people who constantly whine about their feeds being filled up with useless junk, spam videos and the like. There IS a "mute" feature you know !
  • Options
    pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    benbenalen wrote: »
    I stopped using it a lot now, Its the silly vines, meme's and the invention of the like button that ruined it for me!

For me it's `like and share if you'd like to win this cake/bmw/night in a castle`
  • Options
    1fab1fab Posts: 20,052
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I kind of hate it. It has its uses, though, which is why I stay on it.
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,956
    Forum Member
    Facebook user number continue to increase no matter what people say. There has been a shift in the age groups using it though.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Thought this would be the most appropriate thread with this information :)

http://www.digitalspy.co.uk/tech/news/a566409/facebook-reaches-1-billion-monthly-active-mobile-users.html#~oCF8Ja91SXqIv6
    Facebook has announced its first-quarter 2014 results, claiming to have reached 1.28 billion monthly active users and more than 1 billion monthly active mobile users during the period in question.

The figures indicate that the social network has exceeded the 1 billion milestone on mobile for the first time, having reached 945 million users in the final quarter of 2013

So yes, it's clearly become less popular :D
  • Options
    Miss XYZMiss XYZ Posts: 14,023
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bunions wrote: »
    I think some have left because the novelty wore off and others are using it differently now like joining closed groups.

The fact that updates aren't showing in timelines or newsfeeds doesn't mean that people aren't active on the site.

That's how I mostly use it these days. I think closed groups are one of the better ideas that Facebook have come up with.
  • Options
    TakaeTakae Posts: 13,555
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    After realising I couldn't be arsed to open an account to join our firm a.k.a. family on Facebook, my gran opened one on my behalf. Since then, she maintains two FB accounts - hers and mine.

Quite a few old school friends of mine are now firm friends with her. Someone once attacked her over something she said, those friends rallied around her while they kicked the attacker's arse. This warmed the cockles of my heart. Unfortunately, she did find out things I didn't want her to know about my past, but luckily, she wrote those off as deeds of my misspent youth.

As far as I know, FB is still going strong. It's just not such a novelty any more, so no one talks about it. It's part of their everyday lives now, I think.
  • Options
    RadiomaniacRadiomaniac Posts: 43,510
    Forum Member
    It doesn't cause trouble if used correctly.

I have only people I know and meet in real life (due to being spread out, we can't meet as often as we'd like, hence keeping in regular contact on FB), all family and friends.

I keep all my settings so that only my contacts see anything other than my profile photo, and I've never had anyone contact me that I don't know, or for any 'weird' reason, or any trouble of any kind.

Last week, I managed to get my sister to join it at last! We have family members ranging from 8 years old up to 70 and everything in between.

So it may be less popular than it used to be, but not to our family!
  • Options
    meglosmurmursmeglosmurmurs Posts: 35,110
    Forum Member
    I personally find that people use it less, mainly just for one function. Despite all the things it tries to force people to do, some people just stick to playing games, messaging their friends or relatives use it to keep updated on what other family members are doing. There's alot of blank homepages around lol
  • Options
    walterwhitewalterwhite Posts: 56,956
    Forum Member
    People love to slag off Facebook and suggest it's dying on it's arse but the latest profit figures show it's still going from strength to strength.
  • Options
    DaisyBumblerootDaisyBumbleroot Posts: 24,763
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I still use it all the time, i owuldnt know about the games as I block them. I also block any page where someone has posted a link to it "Share this pic and win" or any other bollocks that gets on my norks. I have a cull every six months or so where i bin off people who are on facebook but can never be bothered to interact.

This all keeps my facebook feed interesting and relevant to me :)
  • Options
    elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    1fab wrote: »
    I kind of hate it. It has its uses, though, which is why I stay on it.

that's exactly how I feel about it. Sometimes it's easier to get people via facebook than it is to email them. I have friends who are rubbish replying to emails but are on Facebook all the time. I chat to my partner on facebook when he is at work so his work email doesn't get clogged up with personal stuff. Very rarely post anything though.
  • Options
    SHAFTSHAFT Posts: 4,369
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's more poular than ever IMO. especially among older people. I'm not a big fan but I'm too nosey to delete my profile!