Options

Flash Mob 2014??

white tigresswhite tigress Posts: 3,591
Forum Member
✭✭✭
They're advertising this starring Kevin [& Karen] in London from 27 May as reprise of an earlier Dance-mix-fest show. Website's PAST video samples look extreme-yet-mundane choreography [ie more acrobatics than gutsy, inspiring Dance]. Anyone seen previous 'Flash Mob'?? Range of dance stylees included looks good, but video sample seemed like Deafening Over-extended Gymnastics rather than inspiring, artistic, elegant, and varied expressions of Dance talent.
Anyone seen previous incarnation??

Comments

• Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    seemed like Deafening Over-extended Gymnastics
    didn't know gussets were so loud
  • Options
    olivejolivej Posts: 14,696
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    nope - I have tickets tho Im not entirely convinced I want to go........
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    olivej wrote: »
    nope - I have tickets tho Im not entirely convinced I want to go........

Yes, I had qualms also: it'll either be the Best Show Ever or....Massive Misuse of Talents...or even a Curate's Egg. Ads are Unclear as to their Approach: individual joys of varied modern dance displays [good?] or one big mish-mosh of styles to blasting non-rhythmic music??
    Any brief personal 'reviews' of it would be appreciated.
  • Options
    SaraV1308SaraV1308 Posts: 9,760
    Forum Member
    I wouldn't go to that if you paid me - even though I only work round the corner.

Have a feeling it will be erring on the side of a pile of *****.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Wow--OUCH!! Tragically, it's what I most feared from the show's old 'sample' video....But it does seem the problem lies in the 'script/storyline' more than in the dance calibre, which COULD easily be fixed by some re-jigging, cutting, and focussing on the talent more. Needs a better director or more confident storyliner which is easily remedied. Sad waste of all that joyous talent & energy otherwise.
    Thanks for that feedback. Much appreciated. x
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    olivej wrote: »

Interesting also and very welcome input. But show is being SOLD by management only on t Kevin/Karen in the adverts, so puzzling they're not seemingly the major part of the show since the other acts are similarly 'famous' on TV Dance. A dismal 'storyline' sounds poor unless in multi-styled sequential Dance-Off formats, which'd be intriguing, fun & challenging for the performers.
    BTW--'a Speakeasy'?? REALLY?? in 2014....
    Thanks again for this feedback! x
  • Options
    ceeveepeeceeveepee Posts: 145
    Forum Member
    I'm going next Thursday.. not sure what to expect yet - just looking forward to seeing Kevin and Karen again - don't know much about the others at all.
  • Options
    Loobs72Loobs72 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have 2 tickets for this at the Lowry in Manchester next Thursday but can't go now. If anyone is interested in these please DM me
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Coming to the New Alexandra Theatre in Birmingham just for the one show on the 27th June. Not really sure it's going to be that well attended tbh. All the promotions are using Kevin and Karen as headliners.

1h55 minutes including interval seems very short for a dance production
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Coming to the New Alexandra Theatre in Birmingham just for the one show on the 27th June. Not really sure it's going to be that well attended tbh. All the promotions are using Kevin and Karen as headliners.

1h55 minutes including interval seems very short for a dance production

Ive just had a quick look at the ticket availability for Birmingham - looks like about half the stalls are sold, very few in the dress circle and nothing in the upper circle - I hope a few more tickets sell before the 27th........
  • Options
    soapfan_1973soapfan_1973 Posts: 3,624
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yup and the Alex is not a big theatre to fill either so something is going wrong either with the promotion of the show, or the show itself for ppl not to buy into it.

I just wonder if it harming things by not using the other acts on there more in promotion. I know they think Kevin and Karen wil bring in the SCD fans but you have groups like Flawless who have a very big following so should be able to fill out tours no problem
  • Options
    StrictlyVikkiStrictlyVikki Posts: 23
    Forum Member
    Some people are being a bit harsh on here.

It's a perfectly pleasant little show - good for the kids when it was in London for half term. It's probably not for those who watch an awful lot of dance but for those new to dance and under 16s (ish) I think it's quite enjoyable.

It's a shame the show isn't selling. Flawless don't seem to sell that well. I remember seeing their show with English National Ballet in 2012 at a local theatre in Devon and only the first 10 or so rows were filled and rest of the theatre was empty. So embarrassing and disappointing for all concerned. :(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yup and the Alex is not a big theatre to fill either so something is going wrong either with the promotion of the show, or the show itself for ppl not to buy into it.

I just wonder if it harming things by not using the other acts on there more in promotion. I know they think Kevin and Karen wil bring in the SCD fans but you have groups like Flawless who have a very big following so should be able to fill out tours no problem

tbh the only promotion I have seen is via twitter - which can be a great social tool but Im not sure its great for promoting shows..........

Ive not seen any posters anywhere or local advertising which is a real shame as the closer its gets the more excited I am - admittedly I am only got tickets because I want to see Karen and Kevin but Im looking forward to seeing the other dance acts
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I was sorry to hear that some people didn't like FlashDance which I saw at the Peacock Theatre. I loved it particularly Kevin and Karen who were excellent and all the other dancers too.

I have read on the forum that it was not good. Not so, in my opinion and all the audience seemed to love it, there was loud applause for all dancers. Speaking to a few people who I had never met before told me that they had a wonderful evening. If I had the chance I would definitely go again.

The only disappointment was that it was over too soon.
  • Options
    dmolyneaux@virgdmolyneaux@virg Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tour has been cancelled due to poor ticket sales !
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    website has been updated confirming tour cancellation

http://www.flashmobtour.com/

bummer :(
  • Options
    MonksealMonkseal Posts: 12,017
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Apropos of nothing, James Jordan seems to be in a good mood on twitter this evening. *innocent face*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tour has been cancelled due to poor ticket sales !

Ooo, er! Shame, but that's Show Biz, alas, and when the cast is larger than the audiences, these things happen. :o:(
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, just noticed the show's producers are called 'Show Biz Works'--apparently NOT, guys.
  • Options
    dmolyneaux@virgdmolyneaux@virg Posts: 1,554
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh, just noticed the show's producers are called 'Show Biz Works'--apparently NOT,

Ive been a few shows with scd pros and all seemed to be quite successful . Flash Mob format didn't appeal to me .

Worrying for Karen and Kevin is this is the second show in 12 months that has been pulled early that they have been involved in.

Kevin did fantastic last yr in scd and was a very popular addition but as a couple I don't think they are overall popular enough yet to be headlining a Uk tour.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,317
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am sorry that FlashMob has not had a large enough audience. In London the theatre was pretty nearly full when I went.

I would like to see Karen and Kevin again so might look around to find where and when they are in 'Burn the Floor'.
  • Options
    *Topaz**Topaz* Posts: 4,263
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think perhaps Karen and Kevin need a year or two more to build up a bigger profile and fanbase and with an improved concept show they'll be able to do a successful tour . There's no reason why they couldn't as other pros have. I'm not an expert on this but from what I gather from reading the forums is that quite a lot of strictly viewers aren't keen aren't keen on some of the more mordern genres of dance - so perhaps that's one of the reasons as well as the lack of publicity that this show hasn't been a big success - perhaps it will be better for them to stick to something that's more latin/ballroom based and therefore attract more of the strictly audience to their shows. Also perhaps if Joanne is a big hit on strictly then Karen and Kevin could also join forces with her and whoever her pro partner will be and they'll have more of a chance of having a hit show.

So I take it James tweet last night where he linked to that karma quote was his way of having a dig at Karen and Kevin's misfortune - I don't know what his problem is with them but he really is pathetic. It really is pretty low behaviour gloating over the misfortune of others - the more I read his twitter the more I dislike him and think the producers made absolutely the right decision to axe him. I'm not even a fan of Karen and Kevin but I feel a bit sorry for them. Does anyone know if James has ever done a successful theatre tour where he was headlining? Because if he hasn't it makes him even more pathetic and to think I used to like him!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    *Topaz* wrote: »
    I think perhaps Karen and Kevin need a year or two more to build up a bigger profile and fanbase and with an improved concept show they'll be able to do a successful tour . There's no reason why they couldn't as other pros have. I'm not an expert on this but from what I gather from reading the forums is that quite a lot of strictly viewers aren't keen aren't keen on some of the more mordern genres of dance - so perhaps that's one of the reasons as well as the lack of publicity that this show hasn't been a big success - perhaps it will be better for them to stick to something that's more latin/ballroom based and therefore attract more of the strictly audience to their shows. Also perhaps if Joanne is a big hit on strictly then Karen and Kevin could also join forces with her and whoever her pro partner will be and they'll have more of a chance of having a hit show.

So I take it James tweet last night where he linked to that karma quote was his way of having a dig at Karen and Kevin's misfortune - I don't know what his problem is with them but he really is pathetic. It really is pretty low behaviour gloating over the misfortune of others - the more I read his twitter the more I dislike him and think the producers made absolutely the right decision to axe him. I'm not even a fan of Karen and Kevin but I feel a bit sorry for them. Does anyone know if James has ever done a successful theatre tour where he was headlining? Because if he hasn't it makes him even more pathetic and to think I used to like him!

Really showing his true colours by posting that karma quote - glad he thinks he is funny because I sure dont! Laughing at others misfortune is not a nice trait to have and James needs to remember that karma can come and bite him in the arse too and I really hope it does and soon - pathetic, horrible man that he is

Nope, the only tours that James has done are the Strictly Tour and the Pro Tour, as far as I know the only pros that headline their own very successful tours are Anton and Erin, Pasha and Katya, Darren and Lilia and Brendan