BB Posters Reunited and WELCOME to the lurkers! (Part 43)

Comments

• HickyHicky Posts: 50,488
    Forum Member
    Dear Kuhn-Rikon-poncy-knives Manufacturers,
    I wonder if you can you help me?
    I cant seem to remove the dirty great watermelons from my knives at all and storage is such a problem due to the size of the fruit.
    There are currently four hundred of them with knives sticking out in the cellar and i fear rats will come a calling soon.
    Since that turd Oliver toured Mississippi with his healthy eating campaign (though he is a lard arse) my son is regularly sent home for lunch when his melon free carry- out is discovered. The boys call him melvin-no melon and say he will never get to fight crocs by eating grits.
    Coyotes gather on the porch at night howling. They are drawn in by the smell of old melons wafting by.
    The villagers don't drop by the house any more since that bitch from the store told them how many knives i get through.
    I hear them whisper "never turn your back on Delilah" and i feel mighty shamed.
    Please please help.
    Yours faithfully,
    Delilah Hickybum,
    Wirrall, Mississipppi.
    They brought out a handy Pizza cutter, you could of course use a shovel but it's not so neat and tidy.

Same as a Wok, you could use a frying pan and be careful.:D
    Morning everyone. :D

Wont the dough collapse if you shove your probe in?

Have you ever poisoned yourself in pre-probe days?
    It was pre-cooking to see if the yeast was ready after standing.
  • honeythewitchhoneythewitch Posts: 37,237
    Forum Member
    Hicky wrote: »
    They brought out a handy Pizza cutter, you could of course use a shovel but it's not so neat and tidy.

Same as a Wok, you could use a frying pan and be careful.:D

It was pre-cooking to see if the yeast was ready after standing.

I have never come across a pizza cutter that is better than scissors.
    You can see if yeast is ready. :confused:
    Forum Member
    A wok isnt really the same as a frying pan because it is designed to have intense heat in the centre and also cool zones, but a frying pan should have an even temperature.
    Not that it makes much difference, but still...
  • ArtemesiaArtemesia Posts: 43,241
    Forum Member
    I like to keep up with the times, if it's on Saturday Kitchen I get it.

Was watching The Hairy Bikers last night and they were in Spain, in one of the kitchens a Chef took out a Temperature Probe which is the same as one i use, she was testing the Temperature of some Dough they were making as it needed to be 23Deg C.

Mind you i have lots of Thermal Probes for different uses.

I even check the temperature of my sausages when i cook them like you are supposed to.:D
    This One.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Probe-Type-Digital-Thermometer-WT-1/dp/B001O1DASI/ref=tag_stp_s2_edpp_url

So basically, you are just gullible and part easily with your money?:p

Not long ago, you showed us a "new" style of potato peeler which had me puzzled as that particular kind have been available for as long as I can remember.:confused:

There is no harm in having a kitchen stuffed with gadgets if you enjoy using them and get good use out of them. As long as you can still cook a sausage, roast meat and make dough without relying on them
    I am all for making things easier and adore my KitchenAid stand mixer which I use at least twice a week but few of the gadgets you employ would make any difference to or improve my food preparation and I disagree that they are the 'correct' way of doing things.:p
    Forum Member
    Artemesia wrote: »

Not long ago, you showed us a "new" style of potato peeler which had me puzzled as that particular kind have been available for as long as I can remember.:confused:

There is no harm in having a kitchen stuffed with gadgets if you enjoy using them and get good use out of them. As long as you can still cook a sausage, roast meat and make dough without relying on them
    I am all for making things easier and adore my KitchenAid stand mixer which I use at least twice a week but few of the gadgets you employ would make any difference to or improve my food preparation and I disagree that they are the 'correct' way of doing things.:p

I have the large (ancient) kenwood and a magimix and wouldn't be without either but i think all the gadgets just make it all seem more complicated than it is and puts people off making their own food.
    The melon knife is the same brand that they are showing on qvc today. Very pretty but the cheese was sticking on the non stick blade and when did melon ever get stuck anyway?
    They also had a fancy can opener that wouldn't open a can at all and they had to switch it.
  • Flora PosteFlora Poste Posts: 18,029
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Morning everyone. :D

Wont the dough collapse if you shove your probe in?

Have you ever poisoned yourself in pre-probe days?

Morning honey :D

I am doing quite well without any probes at all and to date I have caused no harm to another living person :D
    Forum Member

I am doing quite well without any probes at all and to date I have caused no harm to another living person :D

I am probeless too yet we have somehow survived. :D
  • ArtemesiaArtemesia Posts: 43,241
    Forum Member

I do have a meat probe, which was a gift from a friend.I use it once a year, at Christmas because that is the only time we have a huge pork roast. Before I had it, I still managed to get by without poisoning anyone but I feel bad if I never use it at all so it gets it's annual festive outing....:D:D
  • Scots roolScots rool Posts: 276,853
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you don't use the correct tool or equipment for the job you are more likely to have an accident.

Imagine cutting a 100ft tree down with a penknife.

Or building a garden wall with a spoon instead of a trowel.

You might not have an accident but your O/H would probably kill you for taking so long
    .:D
    Just like you almost chopping your finger off, you mean? :rolleyes:

Oh look, it seems I have acquired an OH from nowhere. :eek:
    I have managed to prepare fruit and vegetables for over 40 years with one small Sabatier knife - the same knife. Why on earth would I want a drawer full of knives or various gadgets. That and a long,serrated carving knife, I use daily. They prepare melons perfectly well...and grapefruit and cabbage and anything else we eat...

I am assuming that the tool with which you almost cut off your hand was the 'correct tool for the job'?
    That's the one. :D
    It was nearly the correct tool, i was using it wrong and the material slipped, i was cutting plastic at the time.:eek:
    'Nearly' the correct tool is unacceptable! You could have cost the NHS a fortune. :p

Me three. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Barracute wrote: »
    Well good for you, yes he deserves a chance definitely and i hope he has some success, i always support England

I 'm supporting Roy
    You can get a knife specifically for melons. How is that a help?
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kuhn-Rikon-Melon-Knife-Colori-11-Inch-/170704817648?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item27becccdf0

When they have a knife specifically for whipping through a turnip (swede) then i'll be interested.
    :mad::mad:
    acker wrote: »
    Honest Balders I am bricking it . :eek: but beating THEM was top banana . Ive got an anxious eye on tonights ( Wed ) games and trying to do the maths but basically for us if we beat you on Sunday that should be " game over " but I know you dont want that and I havent got a problem with it but at one and the same time .." Come On " !

Depends on prior results but I think we have just missed the CL boat. So I may not be that gutted if City beat us
    Morning Everyone.

I have to sign in at work as i sign out each time, I only sign in at home if i reboot Puter or FF.

Not sure how big the Eggs are though?.:D
    But helpful having a Nanny around the house.

I think it's a good idea, it's obviously been asked for.
    It's properties show why it's needed.
    Non-stick Blade.
    Cut-outs in blade to lessen adhesion.

I think it's ideal for the job it's designed for.

I always say if there's a correct tool for the job in hand then use it, cut down accidents and save the NHS money.

Morning EddyBee.:)

Morning Arte,:)

Morning Flora.:)

Morning SR.:)

Going to have a little Sun here, it knew i was at work.

Grrrr another of my pet hates- peeps hitting screwdrivers as chisels, vernier gauge to turn nut:mad: Solid nut tried to be removed by adding leverage of large scaffolding pole to ratchet spanner - failure at weakest point - the spanner AKA MY spanner
    So what you are saying if that you can have as many 'correct' tools for the job as you want but it doesnt prevent accidents happening even so :D

Correct tools will reduce accidents not eliminate.

Just been cringing watching Ma Balders using a blunt knife and cutting towards her.
    Forum Member
    I 'm supporting Roy

Depends on prior results but I think we have just missed the CL boat. So I may not be that gutted if City beat us

Grrrr another of my pet hates- peeps hitting screwdrivers as chisels, vernier gauge to turn nut:mad: Solid nut tried to be removed by adding leverage of large scaffolding pole to ratchet spanner - failure at weakest point - the spanner AKA MY spanner

Just been cringing watching Ma Balders using a blunt knife and cutting towards her.

I always find that screws walloped into walls in place of nails are even better. Especially delivered with a cast iron pan.:D
  • ackeracker Posts: 8,809
    Forum Member
    Dear Kuhn-Rikon-poncy-knives Manufacturers,
    I wonder if you can you help me?
    I cant seem to remove the dirty great watermelons from my knives at all and storage is such a problem due to the size of the fruit.
    There are currently four hundred of them with knives sticking out in the cellar and i fear rats will come a calling soon.
    Since that turd Oliver toured Mississippi with his healthy eating campaign (though he is a lard arse) my son is regularly sent home for lunch when his melon free carry- out is discovered. The boys call him melvin-no melon and say he will never get to fight crocs by eating grits.
    Coyotes gather on the porch at night howling. They are drawn in by the smell of old melons wafting by.
    The villagers don't drop by the house any more since that bitch from the store told them how many knives i get through.
    I hear them whisper "never turn your back on Delilah" and i feel mighty shamed.
    Please please help.
    Yours faithfully,
    Delilah Hickybum,
    Wirrall, Mississipppi.

:D:D:D...like I say I have NEVER peeled a potato in my life ..I sat and tried once but Kath took them off me saying " FFS ack give em here while youve still got some fingers " :o...I tend to use these in the kitchen
    http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?hl=en&sa=X&biw=1024&bih=636&tbm=isch&prmd=imvns&tbnid=4KZT01xG9v0YzM:&imgrefurl=http://www.cutleryandcatering.co.uk/tin-opener-p-715.html&docid=uqKz7fHDiZVwGM&imgurl=http://www.cutleryandcatering.co.uk/images/user/081110174816.jpg&w=450&h=335&ei=gROhT_LmI4-n8QOFlpDACA&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=435&vpy=155&dur=876&hovh=189&hovw=254&tx=156&ty=92&sig=111807728831052705971&page=1&tbnh=115&tbnw=155&start=0&ndsp=15&ved=1t:429,r:2,s:0,i:71

and this lady is THE best cook I have ever seen on television

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.tvland.com/images/shows/beverly_hillbillies/videos/season2/beverlyhillbillies_ep044a_short.jpg&imgrefurl=http://gotvirtual.net/community/threads/seal-team-six-reportedly-kicks-some-more-ss.3210/&h=360&w=480&sz=21&tbnid=EYnLSTJYwQMomM:&tbnh=94&tbnw=125&zoom=1&docid=z5IO0OQG9TfRcM&hl=en&sa=X&ei=gRahT6gHtMTiBKrjuOUI&ved=0CCwQ9QEwAg&dur=77
    Forum Member
    I 'm supporting Roy

Ive spent a bit of time on Newcastle forums over the past day or two, it was ok they were pretty funny I liked it there ..I also went to Red Cafe Man U forums but I felt a bit " dirty " . It was the worst kind of voyeurism but it was like Civil War in there ...even Sir Alex wasnt being spared :eek:...couldnt get away quick enough though really . Im never going back , not even to laugh at them .
    Forum Member
    Afternoon any and all :) .
  • Gemo52Gemo52 Posts: 128,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    I have managed to prepare fruit and vegetables for over 40 years with one small Sabatier knife - the same knife. Why on earth would I want a drawer full of knives or various gadgets. That and a long,serrated carving knife, I use daily. They prepare melons perfectly well...and grapefruit and cabbage and anything else we eat...

I am assuming that the tool with which you almost cut off your hand was the 'correct tool for the job'?

Same here. Maybe not 40 years but certainly over 25, it’s one I use a steel to sharpen.

’d affernoon, everyone.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I 'm supporting Roy

Bet she didnt injure herself either - you will just have to look the other way next time she does it :D

She sure cooks up a mean possum stew :D
    Afternoon any and all :) .

Afternoon acker :D
    Forum Member
    I always ask for those can openers for Christmas, they are they only type i can use.
    Looks like Granny Clampett is getting the vittles. :D

They let that Brick nutter loose again :eek:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2138177/Samantha-Brick-Sorry-women-ARE-ugly-TV.html

Well I just read that and now im faintly annoyed at the wasted time reading her . If I could ask her one thing it would be " WTF is WRONG with you " ? . :(
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I always ask for those can openers for Christmas, they are they only type i can use.
    Looks like Granny Clampett is getting the vittles. :D

They let that Brick nutter loose again :eek:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2138177/Samantha-Brick-Sorry-women-ARE-ugly-TV.html

Dont know why the DM keep giving her column inches :(
    Gemo52 wrote: »
    Same here. Maybe not 40 years but certainly over 25, it’s one I use a steel to sharpen.

’d affernoon, everyone.

Afternoon Gemo :D
    Forum Member
    Bet she didnt injure herself either - you will just have to look the other way next time she does it :D

She sure cooks up a mean possum stew :D

Afternoon acker :D

Afternoon Flora :)..." Black gold ....Texas tea " :D
    Forum Member
    Gemo52 wrote: »

’d affernoon, everyone.

afternoon Gemo :)
    Forum Member
    I have never come across a pizza cutter that is better than scissors.
    You can see if yeast is ready. :confused:
    I am amazed.:D

For sale i suppose they have to go by the book.
    You just guess, i guess.:D
    A wok isnt really the same as a frying pan because it is designed to have intense heat in the centre and also cool zones, but a frying pan should have an even temperature.
    Not that it makes much difference, but still...
    Wrong again
    A Wok is supposed to have all it's outer shell within an intense heat, if you look at a Wok stove in a Chinese Kitchen the heat comes from fire or gas jets within a hole that is just smaller than the size of the Wok and the Wok is under intense heat all the time.

We use a Wok on a Gas Stove which is only a fraction of the heat and width of flame, I have a Wok Gas Ring in the middle of my Stove which gives off a lot of heat using a few gas rings, but it can't give the real amount of heat that would be required for a professional Chinese Kitchen.

I am all for making things easier and adore my Kitchen Aid stand mixer which I use at least twice a week but few of the gadgets you employ would make any difference to or improve my food preparation and I disagree that they are the 'correct' way of doing things.:p
    I'm easily parted from my money when it helps me have a happy time in the kitchen.:D
    I have the large (ancient) kenwood and a magimix and wouldn't be without either but i think all the gadgets just make it all seem more complicated than it is and puts people off making their own food.
    The melon knife is the same brand that they are showing on qvc today. Very pretty but the cheese was sticking on the non stick blade and when did melon ever get stuck anyway?
    They also had a fancy can opener that wouldn't open a can at all and they had to switch it.
    It was made for Melon, whats it got to do with cheese
    You are suppose to use a wire cheese cutter for cheese, not a knife.

You've just been lucky, but these days we need to be safe.:D
    Another one who's been lucky so far.:D
    I do have a meat probe, which was a gift from a friend.I use it once a year, at Christmas because that is the only time we have a huge pork roast. Before I had it, I still managed to get by without poisoning anyone but I feel bad if I never use it at all so it gets it's annual festive outing....:D:D
    You know the old saying, it's better to be safe than sorry.

You should use a probe for all food that need cooking to a safe temperature.
    Scots rool wrote: »
    Just like you almost chopping your finger off, you mean? :rolleyes:

Oh look, it seems I have acquired an OH from nowhere. :eek:

That's the one. :D

'Nearly' the correct tool is unacceptable! You could have cost the NHS a fortune
    . :p

Me three. :D
    Accidents will happen.

we can supply O/H's at quite a cheap price on here, but only during May.

This Nearly is not a good thing, but Nearly is a better percentage than 100%
    I 'm supporting Roy

That annoys me as well, hate lending tools out.
    Exactly, we'll never eliminate accidents.

Maybe it's just as well the knife is blunt, but if it was sharp she may not need so much force, but she needs her H&S refreshing.:D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Well I just read that and now im faintly annoyed at the wasted time reading her . If I could ask her one thing it would be " WTF is WRONG with you " ? . :(

I have noticed that people tend to criticize most strongly that which they are most insecure about in themselves.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    Dont know why the DM keep giving her column inches :(

Afternoon Gemo :D

So people can say how dreadful she is and then feel better about themselves.

“Reality” tv producers use the same trick. On the simplest level CDWM invariably has a mispronunciation session as the diners reads the menu, it gives the viewers an opportunity to feel smug about their own superior pronunciation skills.
    Forum Member
    The whole article was about what A.A.Gill said.

What has it got to do with her.
    Plus the reply from the woman in question was that men don't like clever women.
    Rubbish
This discussion has been closed.