'Neck Nominations' The new Facebook craze

Comments

• jude007jude007 Posts: 2,227
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tt88 wrote: »
    The film idiocracy springs to mind when thinking about the kinds of people that find this amusing. Its the parents/partners/friends i feel sorry for who have to go through the trauma of losing someone because they were too weak willed to not give in to peer pressure.

I did read that with facebook trying to stamp down on this craze a new one is threatening to emerge. Apparently the new fad involves people performing dangerous stunts in their cars, filming it and then challenging friends to out do them. Cant think how that could possibly be a bad idea :confused:

So not only do they want to ruin their own lives, they want to take innocent people with them.

The people that do this, must be the most stupid people living.
  • contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I cant believe blokes use Facebook, I thought it was strictly for girls and mums??
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 567
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    contrarian wrote: »
    I cant believe blokes use Facebook, I thought it was strictly for girls and mums??

No, that would be Pinterest...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,954
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The amount of self righteous back slapping on this thread is a bit much.The first boy that died should not have drunk whisky and his friends should have stopped hi. I don't know what the other boy drank but he was already out and jump into a river. I just think this is being blown out of proportion.
  • ChipPaperChipPaper Posts: 18,521
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    So the story is essentially 'People on facebook act like knobs'. And people are surprised?
  • getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Darwin award thread for this type of thing.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    There's a few young women in Ireland have started a counter-fad - necknominating each other to drink cups of tea. :D

:blush: I shouldn't be laughing really; it's very sad what happened to those two young lads. As someone said on the radio this morning, it's the fact that all of your friends, all of your friends' friends etc. etc. etc. will see you 'chicken out' that's pushing people to take part.

Have this younger generation got no sense of individuality, though? It used to be quite cool to stand up against conformity. I even notice it with young female fashion. Kim Kardashian mixed with Miley Cyrus seems to be the way to go. If I saw a young woman dressed as a hippy on a night out I think I'd literally hug her at this stage.
    I think that's a rather rose tinted view. Peer pressure and conformity were as much a part of my youth as they are today's.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 927
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Willow33 wrote: »
    I don't know. But some are saying it starts with a pint of beer and now its moving on to spirits.

As many would testify, me and my mates did many daft things with booze back in the day. But even then we knew downing anything more than a double of spirits in one was off bounds. That's taking the invincibility thing too far.
  • PuddinPuddin Posts: 439
    Forum Member
    Why dont you carry on then .? Keep it going until another dies ? Oh so hilarious isnt it ?

Get over yourself. If you're stupid enough to down a pint of whiskey or jump in a river then you deserve your Darwin Award.

Yes, when I did it, it was hilarious. I do apologise for having fun at the pub with my friends.. :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    flagpole wrote: »
    if someone were to neknominate me i would punch them in the cock. or unfriend them, whichever is worse these days.

I'd just ignore them.

As I already have done, I've been nominated twice already :)
  • irishfeenirishfeen Posts: 10,025
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Decided not to do it after, not over some moral protest at what it actually stands for but out of respect for the lads who died - it was always meant to be a bit of fun and 99% of it was just that.... some hilarious innocent videos have been created but as usually stupidity get the better for some.
  • Tt88Tt88 Posts: 6,827
    Forum Member
    jude007 wrote: »
    [/B]

So not only do they want to ruin their own lives, they want to take innocent people with them.

The people that do this, must be the most stupid people living.

I really hope that was just a media knee jerk reaction and it blows over. I really dont want to think how many people would be killed for the sake of a stupid facebook dare. At least with drinking they arent taking innocent people with them.

What annoys me is that the people doing this think theyve just invented it! Ive heard mates bragging about being the first people to do it. Im guessing drinking games were around since alcohol was invented. They arent doing anything new or clever.

It really grates on me how people are being worshipped and getting thousand of likes for being idiots. There are people who saves lives every day or do really good things and get zero credit, then some nut head drinks his own crap and suddenly hes worshipped by all the followers.
  • jenziejenzie Posts: 20,821
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    just like all the other moronic things people do that are COOL and HARD .....
  • patsylimerickpatsylimerick Posts: 22,124
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think that's a rather rose tinted view. Peer pressure and conformity were as much a part of my youth as they are today's.

They're a part of everyone's youth - and I'm definitely passed mine; so how does that make it 'rose-tinted'? I managed to be an oddity and still survive. It is possible, you know. ;-)
    irishfeen wrote: »
    Decided not to do it after, not over some moral protest at what it actually stands for but out of respect for the lads who died - it was always meant to be a bit of fun and 99% of it was just that.... some hilarious innocent videos have been created but as usually stupidity get the better for some.

Well done, that lad. :)
  • GroutyGrouty Posts: 33,921
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Girl on a horse done it now, in Tescos, downed a can of Pepsi, Police are scrambling around trying to find something to charge her with, LOL.
  • VioletSummersVioletSummers Posts: 1,363
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've seen some on my feed of people downing some horrible pints. But the worst has to be someone downing a mix of vodka, sambuca and Stella. Then they were deliberately sick into the pint glass and drank that. :o:o:o:o:o

The mind boggles. :confused::confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 24
    Forum Member
    I'm not talking about necks anymore.
  • TylersnanTylersnan Posts: 1,866
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    anchorgirl wrote: »
    I'm not talking about necks anymore.

:D:D:D:D:D
  • LeeahLeeah Posts: 20,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who the heck came up with this? :D it's soo stupid!
  • Regis MagnaeRegis Magnae Posts: 6,810
    Forum Member
    Like lemmings off a cliff.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    My university's student union has banned it. If anyone is seen recording or taking part in it on college premises they will be asked to leave. Doesn't stop people on a night out doing it though.
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Don't quite know how to link to her page, but a girl in Ireland has started #RAKNomination ... That is, a random act of kindness nomination. In her video she decided to pay towards someone's shopping in Tesco. And nominated two friends to do their own RAK (and told them to be original).

I think I like this idea better, though if I got a neknom a pint of beer would go down nicely :)
  • Oliver_UstinovOliver_Ustinov Posts: 913
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My university's student union has banned it. If anyone is seen recording or taking part in it on college premises they will be asked to leave. Doesn't stop people on a night out doing it though.
    And after they are asked to leave, does that mean that they are permanently banned and never, ever allowed to come back ever again? :eek:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 36,630
    Forum Member
    Don't quite know how to link to her page, but a girl in Ireland has started #RAKNomination ... That is, a random act of kindness nomination. In her video she decided to pay towards someone's shopping in Tesco. And nominated two friends to do their own RAK (and told them to be original).

I think I like this idea better, though if I got a neknom a pint of beer would go down nicely :)

I believe it was actually started by the Australian guy I linked to earlier.

But yeah, I prefer this idea.