Options

The Stig "who is he"

flashgordon1952flashgordon1952 Posts: 3,799
Forum Member
✭✭✭
who is this mystery man? now he wants to write a book "my life as stig" The BBC is trying to stop him publishing the book as it would damage BBC reputation ?
according to his contract he is not allowed to divulge who he is and any inside information about how the program is made. The question is it in the public interest and what has the BBC got to worry about what he may say.
Offcourse he will be sacked or has already been sacked so maybe he is trying to get his own back on them after being sacked.
I think that there is more going on with "the stig" than we know already. Why was the stig name never released by the BBC ?

Comments

• Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How do you know The Stig isn't a woman ?
  • Options
    MandarkMandark Posts: 47,965
    Forum Member
    You must have started this thread just as I was posting in the other one. :) Has the reveal.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 193
    Forum Member
    As soon as the true identity of the Stig is released, Top Gear loses a fun and successful part of the show. Part of the fun of the show is guessing who the Stig is. Also, do you realise how much money the Beeb makes in merchandising off the Stig's image?

I can't ever see the BBC announcing who the Stig is, and whoever the Stig is (at present) is likely to be taken to court if he is able to release his book.

There's been numerous rumours over his identity over the years, and I think a lot of people have a rough idea of who he is anyway, but for it to be formally announced by the Beeb or the Stig would be a bad idea.

Besides, what colour Stig would we come next if it did get released? Blue? Gray? Wouldn't be the same without White Stig IMO
  • Options
    gomezzgomezz Posts: 44,633
    Forum Member
    Is it a rule of DS that as soon as the Stig is revealed in one thread a new thread is started asking who it is? :rolleyes:
  • Options
    CLARKSONIOUSCLARKSONIOUS Posts: 478
    Forum Member
    ftv wrote: »
    How do you know The Stig isn't a woman ?

The Stig can drive. ;)
  • Options
    jonbwfcjonbwfc Posts: 18,050
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Stig can drive. ;)

We've never seen him reverse park, have we :).
  • Options
    The 12th DoctorThe 12th Doctor Posts: 4,338
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He never asks for directions.
    Gotta be a man.
  • Options
    surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
    Forum Member
    The Stig can drive. ;)

And so can Sabine Schmitz ;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    Some say he's going to write a book, others that he's forgotten about Black Stig.

All we know is if he does, he isn't called the Stig!
  • Options
    Andy BirkenheadAndy Birkenhead Posts: 13,450
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't The Stig revealed to be Michael Schumaker ? (sp?)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 9,121
    Forum Member
    Wasn't The Stig revealed to be Michael Schumaker ? (sp?)

Schumacher, and yes. Although it's highly unlikely that he really was the Stig for anything other than that Ferrari test as they wouldn't let anyone else drive the car.

They have used alternative Stigs before also for various reasons, although the laps of the Top Gear Test Track are probably mainly by the same driver.
  • Options
    calatheacalathea Posts: 780
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its pretty much an open secret but until now all the the newspapers have played along with it. although the BBC hating Daily Mail seem to be hell bent on ruining it for everyone.

It was first confimed a few years ago after Hammonds crash
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,147
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The real Stig is Ben Collins, it was revealed in his autobiography. He is the current Stig - Producers and BBC have tried to get him to not be allowed to reveal it bt they failed.
  • Options
    Prince MonaluluPrince Monalulu Posts: 35,900
    Forum Member
    I don't understand why anyone is bothered, unless it's somebody well known outside of racing circles.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,832
    Forum Member
    Who cares? Seriously. The whole point of the Stig is that he is mysterious. It kind of takes a bit of fun away when it turns out he isn't illegal in 17 states, he doesn't shed his skin like a snake, and he's never been in a knife fight with Anthea Turner. He's just some anonymous formula 3 driver you've never heard of. Was that really worth finding out?

It's like when people are desperate to find out what happened on the fishing trip in Gavin & Stacey, or what's in the briefcase in Pulp Fiction. You're missing the point. The joke is we don't know and the writers don't know either. The Stig is basically a MacGuffin.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 45
    Forum Member
    I am the stig
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,779
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    surfie wrote: »
    And so can Sabine Schmitz ;)

Yes but she has something called breasts, you ever seen a pair of norks on the Stig?
  • Options
    bananaman_007bananaman_007 Posts: 8,707
    Forum Member
    Yeah they did an article on this in The Sunday Times today, they are sure it is Ben Collins also.
  • Options
    QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    It's Ben Collins. Been known for ages.
  • Options
    SaigoSaigo Posts: 7,893
    Forum Member
    QWERTYOP wrote: »
    It's Ben Collins. Been known for ages.

Well, suspected for ages. Certainly has been the main name in the frame (aside from those fools who suggest Hill and Schumacher).

But I'm not sure that Collins has been the Stig for 7 years, through several outfit variations and differences in physique (from what you can see in the Drivers seat), conflicts with Nascar schedules etc. Also not sure that the Stig in Top Gear magazine and in Clarkson's dvds is the same man, so still a lot of mystery there.

And, as the BBC have said, this latest is not proof. Collins has appeared as himself in Top Gear at least 3 times, is named in the Top Gear roadshow/MPH show, runs an agency and consultancy that provides other drivers and advice as needed - ever wondered who the other drivers are in some of the car reviews? All this would have provided an income.

Granted though, there is some good evidence - including facial, voice clips on youtube, watch (!), eyewitnesses etc...

But until the Stig or the BBC confirm, the 'Mystery' still exists. Newspapers claiming he HAS been unmasked are not being entirely honest with the public.
  • Options
    RorschachRorschach Posts: 10,818
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes but she has something called breasts, you ever seen a pair of norks on the Stig?
    Well I've often seen a right pair of tits on Top Gear...

...in fact I've seen three of them. :D
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,587
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rorschach wrote: »
    Well I've often seen a right pair of tits on Top Gear...

...in fact I've seen three of them. :D

LOL :D

Isn't that the truth.
  • Options
    naddieuknaddieuk Posts: 1,974
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Wasn't Ben Collins named in Richard Hammond's near fatal crash?
  • Options
    LeehamLeeham Posts: 4,795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    naddieuk wrote: »
    Wasn't Ben Collins named in Richard Hammond's near fatal crash?

Yeah, he was listed as a stunt coordinator or something...some technical name.
  • Options
    QWERTYOPQWERTYOP Posts: 6,878
    Forum Member
    Saigo wrote: »
    Well, suspected for ages. Certainly has been the main name in the frame (aside from those fools who suggest Hill and Schumacher).

But I'm not sure that Collins has been the Stig for 7 years, through several outfit variations and differences in physique (from what you can see in the Drivers seat), conflicts with Nascar schedules etc. Also not sure that the Stig in Top Gear magazine and in Clarkson's dvds is the same man, so still a lot of mystery there.

And, as the BBC have said, this latest is not proof. Collins has appeared as himself in Top Gear at least 3 times, is named in the Top Gear roadshow/MPH show, runs an agency and consultancy that provides other drivers and advice as needed - ever wondered who the other drivers are in some of the car reviews? All this would have provided an income.

Granted though, there is some good evidence - including facial, voice clips on youtube, watch (!), eyewitnesses etc...

But until the Stig or the BBC confirm, the 'Mystery' still exists. Newspapers claiming he HAS been unmasked are not being entirely honest with the public.

Known. It's Ben Collins. The Stig IS Ben Collins. End of.