Options

Peaky Blinders 9.00pm BBC2

Comments

• Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    thomscn wrote: »
    I cannot comprehend the negative comment on here....what the ***k is wrong with you people, keep watching Emmerdale or whatever soap takes your fancy and leave the quality TV to the grown ups

I resent the implication that, because I don't like Peaky Blinders, I must be some sort of soap fancier. I don't watch any soaps at all. I find them inane and boring (when I've caught a trailer). I prefer something with a bit of guts (not literally!). I enjoyed Happy Valley, The Driver, Dexter, Dr Who (sometimes), Being Human, Ripper Street, Suspects and all manner of drama with a bit of oomph.

But this one is too dark (literally and figuratively), and is very slow despite the so-called sex scenes etc.

I also like light-heated programmes such as Strictly. In fact I like a whole raft of programmes and no just one genre. I am a great fan of sci-fi and have been since I was a girl.
  • Options
    crazybabecrazybabe Posts: 324
    Forum Member
    Loved the first series, and not disappointed with the start of series two. I agree that sorting out some of the characters will take a bit of time, but WOW it is SOOOO atmospheric. One is warned of the violence, swearing and sex, so you can take it as it is, or leave it. And I shall certainly wallow in it...the music, the slow-motion bits, the smoke, the noise, the Brummie accents, the Camden Town immorality - the swearing...and of course the fantastic acting and presence of Cillian Murphy...

Cannot wait for next week :)
  • Options
    PlantPlant Posts: 11,820
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I liked the last series but last nights episode something was off for me. I think it was the acting style. Everyone was acting far too dramatically and it seemed a bit ridiculous and over the top. I had to turn it off after half an hour it was bugging me so much. I don't think it is because anyone was a bad actor, more that they've been directed to make it all as dramatic as possible.
  • Options
    Yo Omars CominYo Omars Comin Posts: 1,573
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I got that feeling too. Really enjoyed the first series but, at times, last night's episode felt a little forced.

Running out of the seance screaming and crying. The TOUGHNESS of moustache brother when skipping. The just down right terrible "I know where you live!" line from the American Irish man.

It was enjoyable, but not the series opener I was hoping for.
  • Options
    CyrilTheWaspCyrilTheWasp Posts: 2,662
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I find most television to be predictable and brain numbing dross but this series has been exceptionable in style, production values and story lines.To judge a new series by criticizing it after only one episode, in which normally various plot lines are set, is pretty premature.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I find most television to be predictable and brain numbing dross but this series has been exceptionable in style, production values and story lines.To judge a new series by criticizing it after only one episode, in which normally various plot lines are set, is pretty premature.

I made the mistake of doing this last series. 3 episodes in and I didn't get the fuss. But I'm glad I stuck with it, thanks in part to the positive reviews on this tread. Like you, I think the style, production values and storylines are certainly good, but it still has its rare moment of predictability, most notably in the romance stakes.

I actually enjoyed this new episode, though I did think Polly venturing in for a seance was quiffy. I wasn't expecting much from it, more of a lull given how it all ended and I preferred it that way. I think the series as a whole takes after a lot of US shows: there isn't much to show for it until 2 or 3 epsiodes have passed.
  • Options
    Chas1989Chas1989 Posts: 157
    Forum Member
    Thought the series 2 opener was very good. The resolution to the cliffhanger was very clever. Glad Campbell survived though as I love Sam Neill in this.

Cillian Murphy and Helen McCrory were back with a bang too.

Shelby 'working' for Campbell should be interesting - wonder how long it will last?

Looking forward to Tom Hardy's first appearance whenever that is.
  • Options
    Karen_Grant_WasKaren_Grant_Was Posts: 382
    Forum Member
    Chas1989 wrote: »
    Thought the series 2 opener was very good. The resolution to the cliffhanger was very clever. Glad Campbell survived though as I love Sam Neill in this.

Cillian Murphy and Helen McCrory were back with a bang too.

Shelby 'working' for Campbell should be interesting - wonder how long it will last?

Looking forward to Tom Hardy's first appearance whenever that is.

Tom Hardy is in next weeks episode by the looks of it plus it looks like grace makes an appearance too according to the cast list on imdb
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    thomscn wrote: »
    Watch series one to find out....honestly!

I watched all of series i and I still couldn't understand his motive.
  • Options
    junipairejunipaire Posts: 3,517
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I like it still but just wish they'd done better with the casting to make it more believable. I mean three guys taking on London, one looking like a young Gary Hobbs from Eastenders barely out of nappies, a skinny guy with a tash and another skinny guy. They hardly look menacing enough. London would have and Birmingham for that matter much scarier looking gangsters. Wouldn't be so bad if it showed you some meat heads in the background who were the muscle and these three Shelby bros were more the brains behind the outfit.
  • Options
    NihongaNihonga Posts: 10,618
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    I watched all of series i and I still couldn't understand his motive.

To be honest, I think Campbell's reasons for wanting to shoot Grace is something that won't be spelt out to the audience in crayola and big bold letters. The reasons are more implied by the plot and it is up to the viewers to figure out for themselves which suits their reading of the story. Or it could also be that the reasons will become clearer as we watch Series 2. If Grace had died, the reasons are aplenty in series 1: sexual jealousy; Grace being seen as a traitor both to the Crown and Campbell (i.e. she sided with the enemy); Grace refusing to marry him (e.g. the old cliche: if Campbell can't have her, no-one will); sexual and romantic rejection; Campbell is a sick perverse sadist hung up on power (i.e. on a power trip of his own); to punish Tommy Shelby (again, he is a sick sadist).

My guess is the producers weren't sure if the go-ahead will be given for a second series so they left the ending ambiguous enough for it to be left open-ended (for a 2nd series) but resolved (if the 1st series is all there was to be). But since Grace isn't dead, that whole story with her, Campbell and Shelby may still need to complete its arc. It so happens with Grace alive, however, it leaves Campbell's motives an unknown quantity. Series 1 does offer possible/potential reasons for Campbell's motives w/o having to scratch our heads over which one was the correct one.
  • Options
    TheGrumpWizardTheGrumpWizard Posts: 1,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    timebug wrote: »
    ,written by the numbers Beeb stuff
    Have to agree. It was so good for so long but the pram incident in the final programme of series 1 did irreparable damage for me. It continued from the off with the ridiculous outcome to the gun shot. The progamme's still good in many ways but having seen through it it'll never be the same again. Shame.
  • Options
    Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me or did the girl at the station (sorry, terrible with names) appear to raise her bag and gun way too high to shoot Sam Neill in the leg? Until he reappeared I assumed he'd been shot dead.
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Overall I liked it, thought it still had the aesthetic that draws you in to look at it (and then further entice you into the story). I'm presuming that this will be showing a transition of power and hierachy (with the Shelby's) from being pretty much the feared/respected top dogs in birmingham to then crossing over to London where they might well find they are just small fry. It will be good to see them properly challenged, as there will be no story if they are not put at real danger this series (as you never really feared that happening to them in series one where they seemed to rule the roost on most part and of course that series was establishing who they were and what they were about).

At the start of this series I was expecting Grace to die, and that Charlotte Riley's character to be the potential love interest for Tommy. I wasn't sure if they'd want to keep Grace's story going, considering she in effect did betray Tommy (despite loving him), but seeing as she lives and was heading to London before she had a gun pointed at her, I suppose there could still be some room to have at least another meeting with her and Tommy (either to finalise it for good or bring them together as true, perhaps doomed, lovers). My hm wondered if in a funny twist, Tommy would grow to love Lizzy, but prob a bit far out on that guess.

I was a bit worried at first that they were going to cut out Tommy's tongue, but gladly he has been spared, as otherwise what authority and fear would he command if he had trouble talking to both his family and enemies alike. As to what characters are convincing, it's hard sometimes to get that across the board, and I agree that the Shelby's don't necessarily strike me as men to be feared or respected (in appearance and behaviour), but sometimes it's also the ones you least expect that can surprise you and underestimation was prob one of the gangs benifits.

It will be interesting to see Tom Hardy's impact, as I think Cillia Murphy so far has held the show, but with Tom's presence there might be more spread, which is only good, as a show can only survive if more than one character can intrigue the audience (not saying that the likes of Polly or such others can't of course, she's vital for me personally as well, but maybe not for others).
  • Options
    Miriam_RMiriam_R Posts: 4,665
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is it just me or did the girl at the station (sorry, terrible with names) appear to raise her bag and gun way too high to shoot Sam Neill in the leg? Until he reappeared I assumed he'd been shot dead.

I thought that too, so I wondered if you can get a walking problem from an injury higher up (i.e. hitting a point/nerve higher up that will affect an unlikely area, seems unlikely, but like you can have a walking/talking from a heart attact, maybe getting shot and penetrating through higher up can have an indirect affect somewhere else, though prob really plucking at the possiblity of that). Otherwise it was just a filming error (or actor's positiong error).
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    In which episode will one or both of Polly's kids appear ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    In which episode will one or both of Polly's kids appear ?

think it might be episode 3 because tommy offers to help her find her kids
  • Options
    StaunchyStaunchy Posts: 10,904
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Have to agree. It was so good for so long but the pram incident in the final programme of series 1 did irreparable damage for me. It continued from the off with the ridiculous outcome to the gun shot. The progamme's still good in many ways but having seen through it it'll never be the same again. Shame.

I've just remembered where I'd seen something like the pram incident before, I'm sure there was a Grange Hill episode where a new mother tried to prevent a fight by dragging her baby in a pram between the two rival schools/warring factions.

Over all I enjoy the show, but I'm getting a bit bored that once or more an episode there is a scene where people walk or ride a horse or push prams etc down the road of the pub in slow motion, past the unseen machine that's only purpose is to ignite some gas and send the resulting flame out the open door and into the street.
  • Options
    CasmanaCasmana Posts: 1,861
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crazybabe wrote: »
    Loved the first series, and not disappointed with the start of series two. I agree that sorting out some of the characters will take a bit of time, but WOW it is SOOOO atmospheric. One is warned of the violence, swearing and sex, so you can take it as it is, or leave it. And I shall certainly wallow in it...the music, the slow-motion bits, the smoke, the noise, the Brummie accents, the Camden Town immorality - the swearing...and of course the fantastic acting and presence of Cillian Murphy...

Cannot wait for next week :)
    Agree wholeheartedly with every word + the lovely Helen McCrory is so stylish . Get those hats and the boots . :D
  • Options
    SteveOwenSteveOwen Posts: 30,430
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I enjoyed the series opener and don't really understand some of the complaints, but each to their own. :) I suppose the pacing in the early part of the episode was a bit slow but it certainly picked up in the latter half.

Thought Cillian Murphy largely carried the first series but I think he'll have some competition this time around from Helen McCrory (thought she was great in this week's episode and it looks like she'll be more of a focus this year), as well as Tom Hardy, potentially. Sam Neill's character also seems like he might be a bit more fun this series.
  • Options
    catsittercatsitter Posts: 4,245
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not everyone was in the Armed forces. They still had to have a Police force.

Yes, I understand that, and Sam Neill's character said as much. But what I was trying to say was, everyone kept going on about the fact that he didn't serve in the war, as though they thought that he should have, but he seems too old for them to have thought that, so I wondered whether the character had been written with a younger actor in mind.

I'm even more confused about Aunt Polly after this episode as she said at the seance that she was part gypsy (which would mean she was a relative of Tommy's mother) and then that her maiden name was Shelby (which would mean she was a relative of Tommy's father). :confused:
  • Options
    stv viewerstv viewer Posts: 17,564
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Just watched episode 3 of series 1 I know I'm a bit behind. But I can't wait to watch the last 3 eps so I can start series 2. Peaky Blinders is my new favourite show at the moment.
    I now have a show every day of the week at 9 pm
    Monday - Grantchester
    Tuesday- The Driver
    Wednesday - Our Zoo
    Thursday - Peaky Blinders (when I catch up)
    Friday - Gogglebox
    Saturday - The X Factor
    Sunday - Downton Abbey
  • Options
    Forum Member
    stv viewer wrote: »
    Just watched episode 3 of series 1 I know I'm a bit behind. But I can't wait to watch the last 3 eps so I can start series 2. Peaky Blinders is my new favourite show at the moment.
    I now have a show every day of the week at 9 pm
    Monday - Grantchester
    Tuesday- The Driver
    Wednesday - Our Zoo
    Thursday - Peaky Blinders (when I catch up)
    Friday - Gogglebox
    Saturday - The X Factor
    Sunday - Downton Abbey

:D similar to my weekly viewing except Friday I watch scott and baily from Wednesday , Saturday strictly then sunday Ive been watching our girl while taping downton then watching downton after so I can fast forward the adverts
  • Options
    Forum Member
    catsitter wrote: »
    Yes, I understand that, and Sam Neill's character said as much. But what I was trying to say was, everyone kept going on about the fact that he didn't serve in the war, as though they thought that he should have, but he seems too old for them to have thought that, so I wondered whether the character had been written with a younger actor in mind.

I'm even more confused about Aunt Polly after this episode as she said at the seance that she was part gypsy (which would mean she was a relative of Tommy's mother) and then that her maiden name was Shelby (which would mean she was a relative of Tommy's father). :confused:

that's what I was trying to work out I think they writer may have made a bit of a cock up there
  • Options
    Gill PGill P Posts: 21,593
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This will be my week from now on.

Monday - Grantchester
    Tuesday- The Driver
    Wednesday - Scott and Bailey
    Thursday - recording of New Tricks from Monday
    Friday - something from Netflix or recorded from earlier in the week
    Saturday - Strictly
    Sunday - Downton Abbey