Could I lose weight by the summer?

inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
Forum Member
✭✭
I'm seventeen years of age, not unhealthily fat, but I have a bit of flab and man boobs which I want to be rid of. Nowadays the majority of what I eat for dinner is boiled mixed vegetables (baby carrots/peas/sweetcorn mixtures) with either grilled chicken, home-made grilled sausages, or grilled fish. I'm still not quite sure what would be an ideal breakfast or lunch for this sort of diet, though I heard something about almond/banana porridge.

I engage in moderate exercise, doing five sets of ten press-ups every morning, as well as jogging on the spot for six minutes. I also attend weekly boxing/fitness classes.

I'm something of strength fanatic, so the plan is that when I lose enough weight, I'll start working on my physical strength.

But the question is, is all this enough?

Comments

• QT 3.14QT 3.14 Posts: 1,771
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Instead of jogging on the spot, which quite frankly is ridiculous, why not go outside for a proper jog?
  • Bex_123Bex_123 Posts: 10,783
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm something of strength fanatic, so the plan is that when I lose enough weight, I'll start working on my physical strength.

Why not start working on your physical strength now? Even if it's just to preserve muscle as you are dieting.

Best thing to do is read up on calorie deficits, which is the thing you need to lose weight, find your daily calories you use (there are calculators online) and go from there. You say you don't have much to lose so just eating sensibly and doing exercise will probably be enough. I do echo the post above though about jogging outside though :D
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    You don't have much weight to lose as you say so if you stick to a healthy diet- bout 2000 calories a day for a man, coupled with exercise and not drinking or reduced drinking you can easily lose weight.
  • Frankie_LittleFrankie_Little Posts: 9,271
    Forum Member
    Join My Fitness Pal and log all your food and exercise. You'll definitely be in shape by summer if you keep it up.
  • Louise32Louise32 Posts: 6,784
    Forum Member
    It takes 3500 calories to lose a lb.

By reducing calories by 500 a day you can lose 1lb a week.

Keeping active can aim to lose 1-2lbs a week which is sensible.

Also watch amount of cokes/ sprites etc you drink as it increases appetite so cut down on that and drink water or fruit juice instead.
  • inspector drakeinspector drake Posts: 910
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Bex_123 wrote: »
    Why not start working on your physical strength now? Even if it's just to preserve muscle as you are dieting.

Best thing to do is read up on calorie deficits, which is the thing you need to lose weight, find your daily calories you use (there are calculators online) and go from there.
    Doesn't seem like a bad idea, but since I can't gym membership at the present moment all I can really do is pullups or use the few weights I have at home.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Join My Fitness Pal and log all your food and exercise. You'll definitely be in shape by summer if you keep it up.

I freaking love that website.

I never know whether I can mention it on here with it partly being another forum and all (but what the hell, the forums there are brilliant and an absolute godsend for anyone who is clueless about diet and exercise).
  • scoobyju1scoobyju1 Posts: 1,785
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I always say that a beach body starts in January not 3 weeks before you go away!

So yes, you can lose weight for summer. You've already made appropriate adjustments to your diet, as for breakfast, porridge, eggs etc will be fine.

Exercise wise, you say you're doing weekly classes so maybe throw in some walking or running & weights. Build a bit of muscle & it'll help boost your metabolism which in turn will burn extra calories throughout the day.

Eat less, move more & you're sorted :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Doesn't seem like a bad idea, but since I can't gym membership at the present moment all I can really do is pullups or use the few weights I have at home.

You absolutely do not need a gym membership to improve fitness/ lose weight :)

Edit, oh I realised you are on about strength training. Well there's a lot of people into such things on here I am sure they will advise.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Louise32 wrote: »
    It takes 3500 calories to lose a lb.

By reducing calories by 500 a day you can lose 1lb a week.

Keeping active can aim to lose 1-2lbs a week which is sensible.
    I'll definitely do this.

Incidentally, another reason why I'm not working on my physical strength at the moment is because as far as I heard, hardcore strength training usually requires you to put in more calories than you use up, whereas weight loss requires you to use up more than you put in.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'll definitely do this.

Incidentally, another reason why I'm not working on my physical strength at the moment is because as far as I heard, hardcore strength training usually requires you to put in more calories than you use up, whereas weight loss requires you to use up more than you put in.

That is true in as much as you won't gain muscle in a calorie deficit, but is no reason why you can't maintain what you have.
  • Pumping IronPumping Iron Posts: 29,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'll definitely do this.

You can still get strong on a kcal deficit though :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    You can still get strong on a kcal deficit though :)

Thanks for that, it's something I wondered recently (having just started with some heavier weights in my exercise regime). I don't expect or want to gain muscle as I'm on quite a deficit but should I be seeing a definite increase in strength over time?

(Sorry for the thread hijack OP)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for that, it's something I wondered recently (having just started with some heavier weights in my exercise regime). I don't expect or want to gain muscle as I'm on quite a deficit but should I be seeing a definite increase in strength over time?

No problem.

In fact, it's very useful. Finding out how to gain strength (I'm not really bothered about muscle. I just want that physical strength) while losing those moobs and flab is great.
  • Ba Na NaBa Na Na Posts: 1,792
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I went down 2 dress sizes in about 3.5/4 months, so you have enough time. I was SUPER strict with my 'plan' though. worked out 3/4 times a week; I started using weights then when I was a little stronger I added HITT workouts to my regime. No fried food/chocolates/fizzy drinks, green tea every morning, fresh fruit every day (bloody expensive), boiled eggs, those sealed bags with carrots/peas inside them are really good, hummus, Greek yoghurt, lots of water.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Yes you should see increases overtime. Lots of sportsmen/women such as boxers, olympic lifters, power lifters, strongmen etc wihere there are weight classes, will cut weight before their competition, but still remain strong.

I am on a vegan diet at the moment, so my kcals are much less than before. Even though I have lost a bit of weight, my lifts in the gym are still progressing (although I do think I have lost a bit of stamina and recovery takes a little longer).
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes you should see increases overtime. Lots of sportsmen/women such as boxers, olympic lifters, power lifters, strongmen etc wihere there are weight classes, will cut weight before their competition, but still remain strong.

I am on a vegan diet at the moment, so my kcals are much less than before. Even though I have lost a bit of weight, my lifts in the gym are still progressing (although I do think I have lost a bit of stamina and recovery takes a little longer).
    So you think strength training on a low calorie diet would work?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    So you think strength training on a low calorie diet would work?

Yes for sure. You may not progress as quick, but for a young lad aged 17 with lots of testosterone....you're in your prime! Work on your technique, keep the reps low and heavy and concentrate on the main compound movements.
  • sarahj1986sarahj1986 Posts: 11,305
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm doing weight watchers at the moment and I love it. I've lost well over a stone on it since Xmas and I still have treats.

With WW and with others the key to losing weight is 1, not to think of it as a "diet" but more long term healthy living. Yes you will need to reduce the amounts of fatty foods but you don't need to exclude them completely, it's about moderation. 2, everything is written down, it's amazing how much one eats and written down it's a real eye opener. You have a good idea of what you need to eat and I'm not suggesting you are eating too much but doing a food diary will help you out greatly. There are free apps (my fitness pal was suggested) yo help you and they also save exercise on there so your get a great idea of food and exercise in take.

It's good that you are starting now so that you can lose it gradually. I have 3 stone to lose and the only way I can do it is slowly and gradually not crash dieting.
  • DaisyBillDaisyBill Posts: 4,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    OP, as you can't go to the gym at present you could look on you tube for routines to do at home using the weights you have. Try searching 'workouts for beginners'. You could also ask your boxing trainer for suggestions.
    I can recommend swimming if you can do it. It's very good for toning your whole body, especially if you do more than one stroke. If you go regularly and swim seriously you will definitely see an improvement by the summer, especially in your upper body.
    There's also a weightloss thread in the advice board. You might find that helpful.
    Best of luck with your fitness goals :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 386
    Forum Member
    unless you are obese or anorexic then you should just stay how you are...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes for sure. You may not progress as quick, but for a young lad aged 17 with lots of testosterone....you're in your prime! Work on your technique, keep the reps low and heavy and concentrate on the main compound movements.
    What would you say is the best breakfast/lunch/dinner for my goals then mate? :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    What would you say is the best breakfast/lunch/dinner for my goals then mate? :)

An example could be...

Breakfast could be porridge, a whey shake and some avocado

Lunch tuna/chicken with pasta/couscous and green veg

Dinner salmon/chicken/steak with green veg and sweet potato.
  • pugamopugamo Posts: 18,039
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Pumping Iron you could definitely be OP`s mentor :D
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    An example could be...

Breakfast could be porridge, a whey shake and some avocado

Lunch tuna/chicken with pasta/couscous and green veg

Dinner salmon/chicken/steak with green veg and sweet potato.
    Thanks mate. :)