Corrie - Bet & Rita 2002

hello.memberhello.member Posts: 7,635
Forum Member
I think this has to be one of my favourite corrie scenes ever, the writing is just fantastic :D

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG26rLkapYk

Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=LSd2O4Ncy1k&NR=1

She's such a cow in this scene but hilarious with it.

Comments

• butterfingerbutterfinger Posts: 62
    Forum Member
    Typical rita at the end there, make a scene.

Bet was only telling the truth.
  • boogie woogieboogie woogie Posts: 16,398
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It was a mistake bringing Bet back. Her return was an absolute disaster. Times had changed since her departure in the mid Nineties and she just didn't fit in like she used to.
  • BritFlicks1BritFlicks1 Posts: 631
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Julie Goodyear said she couldn't cope with the heavier filming schedules. Bet was right when she said Rita is only where she is because of Len's cash.
  • johartukjohartuk Posts: 11,320
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Thanks for those links OP - it is a great scene!:D
  • Luner13Luner13 Posts: 2,968
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a mistake bringing Bet back. Her return was an absolute disaster. Times had changed since her departure in the mid Nineties and she just didn't fit in like she used to.

I don't agree that it was a mistake as we got some great scenes out of it like the one posted.

Just a shame it was all too much for Julie.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,400
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Classic...
  • BelligerenceBelligerence Posts: 40,613
    Forum Member
    "And you can put on all airs and graces -- you like you still only run a toffee shop" :D:D

Ah, Rita and Bet were great together.
  • hello.memberhello.member Posts: 7,635
    Forum Member
    "And you can put on all airs and graces -- you like you still only run a toffee shop" :D:D
    "I'm not listening to this!" :D:D Just been watching this again, I seriously love this scene every line is a gem!

"It was me birthday last month, go on have a guess how old"
    "Oh I couldn't.."
    "Go on"
    "65?"
    "62!"

:D

"Do us all a favour, get lost and take that vulgar ring with you" :D

"Silly really, we were friends a long time.."
    "We were, yes." :D

"So, you're divorced now.."
    "Yeah, Alec's probably shacked up with some desperate old hoofer now... or a singer." :D

"Any aftershave on your dressing table?" :p

GOLD. :D Did they make up after this?
  • sloe_ginsloe_gin Posts: 427
    Forum Member
    This is one of the campest things I have ever seen. My favourite bit is the wounded look in Bet's eyes as she grunts 'Id er made it pay'. I also love how she extents her claw and taunts Rita with the cocky retort 'that int a marble'.

Is Julie Goodyear wearing leopard print nail varnish!?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think this has to be one of my favourite corrie scenes ever, the writing is just fantastic :D

Part 1 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hG26rLkapYk

Part 2 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=LSd2O4Ncy1k&NR=1

She's such a cow in this scene but hilarious with it.

You don't get scenes like that in Corrie anymore.
  • actual_soapactual_soap Posts: 5,378
    Forum Member
    I absolutely love these scenes. So much history, they don't make them like that anymore
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I absolutely love these scenes. So much history, they don't make them like that anymore

Agreed.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Aren't Julie Goodyear and Babs Knox meant to be Divas in real life?
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    It's a great scene - just pure character and dialogue, rather than action, the kind of thing that's often sorely lacking from Corrie these days.
  • sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    With the excellence of both actors and writers in that era.. they didn't need the so called sensational S/L which you get now...
    Forum Member
    Bet by the end morphed into some drag act. In hindsight it was a mistake to bring her back, but we wouldn't have got this scene.

There was another one where she meets Bethany and is aghast that Sarah's her mum. :kitty:
  • nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Bet by the end morphed into some drag act. In hindsight it was a mistake to bring her back, but we wouldn't have got this scene.

There was another one where she meets Bethany and is aghast that Sarah's her mum. :kitty:

Imagine how she'd react to NuBethany :o
  • David the WavidDavid the Wavid Posts: 2,319
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    sorrento wrote: »
    With the excellence of both actors and writers in that era.. they didn't need the so called sensational S/L which you get now...

Meanwhile, on the other side of t'cobbles, Richard Hillman had just offed his ex-wife.
    Forum Member
    nick202 wrote: »
    Imagine how she'd react to NuBethany :o
    She'd give her a slap .;)
  • Ginger1Ginger1 Posts: 417
    Forum Member
    She'd give her a slap .;)

I cant get over how bet reminds me of blanche in that scene
    Forum Member
    Some kind soul on YouTube has uploaded the episode that comes after the OP's link.

"All she's managed to do is get up at 6 every morning and sort through a load of dirty old newspapers." :D:D
  • callumfreemancallumfreeman Posts: 12,399
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Some kind soul on YouTube has uploaded the episode that comes after the OP's link.

"All she's managed to do is get up at 6 every morning and sort through a load of dirty old newspapers." :D:D

Thanks for the link. I've always wanted to see more of Bet's brief 2002 return but have only been able to access 1 episode.
  • Foxster HotpotFoxster Hotpot Posts: 12,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I know its brilliant isnt it, the one after that "16th June 2002" is now also up as well. :D Its great to rewatch Bets brief 2002 return, most of it for the first time since it first went out. I dont think it was a mistake to bring her back actually, some of her scenes were great. Well written, well acted. Great era for the show.
  • LHolmesLHolmes Posts: 13,887
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It speaks volumes that even a past her best Bet is better than most of today's characters.
    Forum Member
    I know its brilliant isnt it, the one after that "16th June 2002" is now also up as well. :D Its great to rewatch Bets brief 2002 return, most of it for the first time since it first went out. I dont think it was a mistake to bring her back actually, some of her scenes were great. Well written, well acted. Great era for the show.
    The return was worth it for the scenes with Rita.

Liked how it wasn't all navel gazing with references to the past. The one where Bet tells Sunita about how she prefered the counter on the other side was well written.

And the acting wasn't dreadful like before. Only now looking back at it, I do miss Shelley and Geena working at the Rovers. The pub wasn't a family-run business like today.