Options

Drunk radio presenter

Comments

• Options
    Station IDStation ID Posts: 7,411
    Forum Member
    Also once when I was much younger and given ny first shot at being duty manager i went out for a few drinks and ended up bladdered and therefor missed all of the duty phone calls early in the morning because there ws s problem.

Did I get sacked ? No although up to the vocal would no doubt have me doing hard labour in a prison camp.

Did it stop this company promoting me full time into a more senior managment role? No

Did I get the worst bollicking of my life and think I would be sacked, Yes

Did it harm my radio career at all? No
  • Options
    MSBMSB Posts: 1,408
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not in this case.I don't think so....its not wishing people out of jobs,sometimes they do the damage themselves.I'm just saying after the lack of respect she showed the radio station,why should she be trusted and privileged with a transmitter again? Just saying.

So it's gone from wanting her sacked to never letting her on the air ever again. For a lapse like this? Hardly Ross/Brand is it?

She will be back on the air, hopefully sooner than later, becaue somebody recognises she committed a mistake, not because some online hater with an agenda wants her forever jobless.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 408
    Forum Member
    Why? It was the most cringe making radio show I have ever heard,she SHOULD be ashamedYou going to slap her on the back and say well done?
    Next you'll be saying ''oh it was off peak''

You really are something aren't you. She did that show for like 8 years, lost her show. Was really upset then had a 'few drinks'. She was clearly emotional. She is a person. You should be ashamed of yourself for not considering anything other than your inflated ego. It must be hard sat on a pc insulting everyone. I am sure you have never done anything wrong in your job, which by the way will be nothing radio.
  • Options
    Mapperley RidgeMapperley Ridge Posts: 9,922
    Forum Member
    Not in this case.I don't think so....its not wishing people out of jobs,sometimes they do the damage themselves.I'm just saying after the lack of respect she showed the radio station,why should she be trusted and privileged with a transmitter again? Just saying.

It's exactly that. You've called for her never to work in radio again, without actually taking into account the circumstances or a whole host of other factors.

On your judgement, why should Danny Baker or Chris Moyles ever be trusted with a microphone after their carefully calculated and partly scripted tirades?

By their very nature, radio presenters are emotional folk who occasionally allow their egos to get the better of them. But one thing you can say about Baker, Moyles and White is this : they have personality. That's why they're hired and rehired.
  • Options
    up to the vocalup to the vocal Posts: 2,502
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sean Park wrote: »
    You really are something aren't you. She did that show for like 8 years, lost her show. Was really upset then had a 'few drinks'. She was clearly emotional. She is a person. You should be ashamed of yourself for not considering anything other than your inflated ego. It must be hard sat on a pc insulting everyone. I am sure you have never done anything wrong in your job, which by the way will be nothing radio.

This is nothing to do with me having an ego,I'm just passionate about good radio,She had 'a few drinks' but was quite plainly bladdered.You just do not go on the air in that state. It's just not done.You just don't do it,She did it and now look at her.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's exactly that. You've called for her never to work in radio again, without actually taking into account the circumstances or a whole host of other factors.

On your judgement, why should Danny Baker or Chris Moyles ever be trusted with a microphone after their carefully calculated and partly scripted tirades?

By their very nature, radio presenters are emotional folk who occasionally allow their egos to get the better of them. But one thing you can say about Baker, Moyles and White is this : they have personality. That's why they're hired and rehired.

indeed Baker and Moyles seem to have got away with it,due to their elevated 'saint like' status. As for Paula. I'm not so sure.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    OK sure, right now she's "damaged goods", a liability. And probably kicking herself. But to suggest she should never be allowed on air ever again is just nuts.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    indeed Baker and Moyles seem to have got away with it,due to their elevated 'saint like' status. As for Paula. I'm not so sure.

No, they've screwed up and moved on.
  • Options
    loveshropshireloveshropshire Posts: 153
    Forum Member
    No one was harmed, she did not cause offence by swearing or saying controversial things...

Yes, it's not a great thing to do and be remembered for but she'd obviously done a little too much celebrating after knowing it was her final lunctime show. All presenters make some mistakes, in fact some so tired or 'out of it' that they do a terrible show by talking nonsense but don't get sacked for it... Just have a really good bit of harsh truth from the controller afterwards in their after show sessions...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    So being 'drunk on air' once in eight years is acceptable is it?:rolleyes:

It shouldn't mean that she never works again no. Why should any mistake mean that you never ever go on air again?

Most of us have been on air after having a couple of drinks once or been so hungover that we can't do as good a job as we should.

She made a mistake, should certainly have been pulled off air quickly and I wouldn't fancy her chances of keeping her new Saturday show but that should be it.

As I said before as a boss I would hire her in the future if she's actually a good presenter (which she is). Of course if she does it again in the future she'll be out of the door and probably would struggle to find a job.

So should Scott Mills or Chris Evans still be working on the radio? Both of them have been hammered while on air.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No one was harmed, she did not cause offence by swearing or saying controversial things...

Yes, it's not a great thing to do and be remembered for but she'd obviously done a little too much celebrating after knowing it was her final lunctime show. All presenters make some mistakes, in fact some so tired or 'out of it' that they do a terrible show by talking nonsense but don't get sacked for it... Just have a really good bit of harsh truth from the controller afterwards in their after show sessions...

I don't think she was celebrating,,,,
  • Options
    Forum Member

That's not what he said. Of course it isn't acceptable. But nor is it necessarily an automatic sackable offence.

I can understand your frustration about losing out on whatever gig you didn't get, but acting like a troll in a forum isn't going to do you any favours.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I don't think she was celebrating,,,,

Well, celebrating the memories. Not the fact she's leaving the slot.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Station ID wrote: »
    It shouldn't mean that she never works again no. Why should any mistake mean that you never ever go on air again?

Most of us have been on air after having a couple of drinks once or been so hungover that we can't do as good a job as we should.

She made a mistake, should certainly have been pulled off air quickly and I wouldn't fancy her chances of keeping her new Saturday show but that should be it.

As I said before as a boss I would hire her in the future if she's actually a good presenter (which she is). Of course if she does it again in the future she'll be out of the door and probably would struggle to find a job.

So should Scott Mills or Chris Evans still be working on the radio? Both of them have been hammered while on air.

But I bet Evans and Mills did nt start screeching like a cat.I actually stood next a broadcasting legend who reeked of scotch,but went on to give their usual performance.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Nobody on here said it was acceptable (where did you get that from?), merely she made a rare mistake, something you would have punished her for life.

Just hope the same doesn't happen to you when you make a gaffe on-air.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    But I bet Evans and Mills did nt start screeching like a cat.I actually stood next a broadcasting legend who reeked of scotch,but went on to give their usual performance.

Someone actually allowed you near a broadcasting legend?
  • Options
    Forum Member

So if Paula hadn't screeched like a cat she can keep her job and it would have been ok?

Funny how those goalposts of yours seem to keep moving.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    MSB wrote: »
    Nobody on here said it was acceptable (where did you get that from?), merely she made a rare mistake, something you would have punished her for life.

Just hope the same doesn't happen to you when you make a gaffe on-air.

It won't. Nobody will be hiring him anytime soon.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That's not what he said. Of course it isn't acceptable. But nor is it necessarily an automatic sackable offence.

I can understand your frustration about losing out on whatever gig you didn't get, but acting like a troll in a forum isn't going to do you any favours.
    'turned up drunk for one show ou of eight years'. Direct quote/
    And talking of trolls.you are doing a very good impersonation of one by taking apart every single thing I say.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    [/B]

It won't. Nobody will be hiring him anytime soon.

Nice, Cheers Mate, You really are a nasty bit of,,,,oh just complete the Eddie Mair catchphrase.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Someone actually allowed you near a broadcasting legend?

Why the pot shots? You nasty vindictive.insecure person.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 86
    Forum Member
    Mapperly, which on-line stations were you referring to, which are cringe-worthy? Some are damn good- and some not, I agree.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    And talking of trolls.you are doing a very good impersonation of one by taking apart every single thing I say.

Well I see nothing wrong with the quote there. It's not like she is the lunchtime tipple show every week afterall. She did one fairly big mistake on her last show after 8 years on the station, after knowing that it was her last one. At least she still turned up to do the show, even whilst being in that state. Yes, what she did does not represent the station well or sound good to her name but it is not a "sackable" offense, just something to be pulled up about and move on. She still kept some dignity by not offending anyone listening with strong views or language. There's a lesson there though to know your limits. We all make mistakes.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Nice, Cheers Mate, You really are a nasty bit of,,,,oh just complete the Eddie Mair catchphrase.

Now who's run out of argument...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Once out of eight years. One mistake out of eight years.

We all make mistakes. Therefore we all should be sacked.