UK Secretary of State: "Immigrants must learn English and respect our way of life"

Comments

• louise1966louise1966 Posts: 4,012
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I concur 100% with the OP.
  • TomWhittonTomWhitton Posts: 1,465
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    benmar wrote: »
    Have you ever walked down the mall, past whitehall to Buckingham palace? Have you ever picnicked on Green Park or went and watched the trooping of the colours? Our way of life is everything of this kind which distinguishes us from other cultures.

Blimey, I don't do any of those things. That must mean that, despite living here my whole life, I'm unBritish.
  • AxtolAxtol Posts: 8,480
    Forum Member
    Andrew1954 wrote: »
    A bit of right wing populism is bound to appeal to certain voters.

In growing up in Britain he seems to have missed the bit about freedom not to conform being part of British culture.

I'm also intrigued that immigrants uniquely are expected to respect our laws. It might be good if people in general respected our laws. Wouldn't it?

He's only asking them to respect it not conform to it it's silly to call it "right wing populism" when he's only saying what every other country in the world expects of immigrants which is respect this culture and you can stay. Nowhere did I see him calling for them to conform.
  • HowardessexHowardessex Posts: 2,072
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ethel_Fred wrote: »
    Is there any evidence that IMMIGRANTS aren't generally learning English etc.

Where have you been for the last twenty years ?.
  • jjwalesjjwales Posts: 48,572
    Forum Member

Presumably here in the UK, observing that immigrants generally do learn English.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sun Tzu. wrote: »
    If you live in the United Kingdom, you should be able to speak English and actually integrate. Unless you want ghettos to go up and immigrants not to be able to speak English.
    We already have ghettos , Sharia no go areas , and immigrants unable to speak English , some of them have been here twenty plus years .
  • razorboyrazorboy Posts: 5,831
    Forum Member
    You can not make something compulsory that is not so for non immigrants, that is surely impossible. Is Cricket part of our way of life, or drinking tea, or love for the monarchy or whatever

What happens when British culture changes, e,g. becoming more secular, accepting of homosexuality, divorce, legalising abortion etc.

We do not all think the same whether it is in terms of politics, morality, culture etc. It makes it hard to expect others to adopt to "our way" when the fair question is "which way"
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Bacon&Eggs wrote: »
    Freedom of Speech.
    Support for the idea of Society.
    Equality of the sexes, sexuality, race.
    The strong supporting the weak.
    Secular Education..
    The current government don't believe in any of that, so why should immigrants?
  • Ethel_FredEthel_Fred Posts: 34,127
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In areas with large numbers of immigrants observing that most of them speak English
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27459468

I'm fully behind him on Immigrants being able to communicate with everyone else in learning English.

"Respect our way of life" is an interesting phrase to use. In his use of it he appears to be saying our way of life in this land is about respecting British laws, and not making use of Sharia Law. Which I also agree with and have no problem supporting. It's just that I have seen that phrase used before in more right and far right wing based opinions and politics and wonder if he used it coincidentally or if it was purposely used to either redefine the phrase in a more widely acceptable setting or whether he wants to attract voters from that area of the spectrum.

Anyway it's interesting for this to come out at this time (although Keith Vaz doesn't seem to think so - in the article he suggests this is nothing new).

All in all I agree with him - also I think he's saying what a lot of people want and think but I don't know if others will see this as some sort of ruse or simply not believe anything a Tory MP says (or whether the aspect of him being Asian has any relevance?).

To what degree - we already have a requirement that immigrants learn English - but only from certain sources - so a person with a degree in English would not qualify to stay in the country if that degree was not from a recognised source.

As for respect for UK culture - what like those who call for the English Common Law system to be replaced with Sharia have respect do they?
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    To what degree - we already have a requirement that immigrants learn English - but only from certain sources - so a person with a degree in English would not qualify to stay in the country if that degree was not from a recognised source.

As for respect for UK culture - what like those who call for the English Common Law system to be replaced with Sharia have respect do they?

I suggest you read the link I posted in comment #24
  • TelevisionUserTelevisionUser Posts: 41,417
    Forum Member
    UK Secretary of State: "Immigrants must learn English and respect our way of life"

Sajid Javid does have a point, he's an example himself of how things can work out and, crucially, he hasn't used any scaremongering or pejorative language (please take note, Nigel F̷Garage).
  • paulschapmanpaulschapman Posts: 35,536
    Forum Member
    paul2307 wrote: »
    I suggest you read the link I posted in comment #24

That is a lot cheaper than going the legit way. >:(
  • paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    That is a lot cheaper than going the legit way. >:(

If true disgraceful but it does seem to be the way many companies who run government contracts behave
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    In areas with large numbers of immigrants observing that most of them speak English

Why didn't you respond to post # 15 and # 17 ? . You think you have an answer for everything , but very unconvincing .
  • StykerStyker Posts: 49,857
    Forum Member
    Oh here we go, the man who ditches his religion, shaves his hair off (oh I wonder why? - NOT) and imo seems to be embarassed of his roots is as good as telling immigrants to either fit in or ship out?!

I think if he doesn't want to alienate ethnic minority voters, he should button it but if he wants to lose them, keep on talking!

The kind of immigrants he seems to be referring to is the very first generations who came here from anywhere between the late 1940's to early 70's who didn't learn english. What he leaves out though, is they were not expected to learn english!

Both Tory and Labour governemts just wanted immigrants to fill the labour shortages and nothing else was expected off them, so Sajid Javed and Nadhim Zahawi who said on Any Questions a few weeks ago "Oh I love red wine" - remember that before getting on your high horse on this one! >:(
  • LyricalisLyricalis Posts: 57,958
    Forum Member
    Bacon&Eggs wrote: »
    Freedom of Speech.
    Secular Education.

I'm talking idealistically of course but if you agree with those things as principals, why would you compromise them by inviting people to live here who stand opposed to those principals. That's a policy for separation not inclusion.

Any collective belief in a set of principals which we can ask new citizens to conform to is one thing. The attack on those principals is another imo. I agree with your points absolutely.

Are those your idea of what our way or life is or his?

They certainly don't appear to be supported by many Tory policies.
  • 3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Is there any evidence that IMMIGRANTS aren't generally learning English etc.

The answer to that would largely depend on where you live.
  • Big Boy BarryBig Boy Barry Posts: 35,389
    Forum Member
    Freedom of Speech.
    Secular Education.

Most of that isn't even the Tory way of life.
  • exlordlucanexlordlucan Posts: 35,375
    Forum Member
    Styker wrote: »

The kind of immigrants he seems to be referring to is the very first generations who came here from anywhere between the late 1940's to early 70's who didn't learn english. What he leaves out though, is they were not expected to learn english!

I think you'll find that most of them did/could speak English because they were mainly from commonwealth countries who came here to help fill the workforce and especially public services.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't really agree with much of that.

Some people may not be able to learn the language.

If immigration policies favour people that find it difficult to learn the native language - why would there be any surprise if there's more people not able to do so?

May not be able to learn the language?

Why on earth not?

Too thick? Too lazy?
    Forum Member
    I think you'll find that most of them did/could speak English because they were mainly from commonwealth countries who came here to help fill the workforce and especially public services.

No many didn't, especially the ones from the indian sub continent. They may have spoken limited english but many couldn't speak any english when they first came here.

When they bought their wives here, they are the ones who often did not end up learning english. They where too busy raising their families and being housewives. Thats not me being sexist, that is what happened in most cases with the wives of men who came from the indian sub continent. I think this is who Javid is referring too and I wonder if his own mum speaks fluent english and even if she does, what about other relatives of his who came here from Pakistan.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Styker wrote: »
    No many didn't, especially the ones from the indian sub continent. They may have spoken limited english but many couldn't speak any english when they first came here.

When they bought their wives here, they are the ones who often did not end up learning english. They where too busy raising their families and being housewives. Thats not me being sexist, that is what happened in most cases with the wives of men who came from the indian sub continent. I think this is who Javid is referring too and I wonder if his own mum speaks fluent english and even if she does, what about other relatives of his who came here from Pakistan.

They could have learned along with their children who learnt English at school.

Why anyone would want to live somewhere and not learn to speak the language is beyond me and why their children (now more than likely grown up) wouldn't want them to learn either is pretty selfish.

I think that keeping someone that isolated is about control as much as anything.
  • nethwennethwen Posts: 23,374
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    2+2=5 wrote: »
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-27459468

I'm fully behind him on Immigrants being able to communicate with everyone else in learning English.

"Respect our way of life" is an interesting phrase to use. In his use of it he appears to be saying our way of life in this land is about respecting British laws, and not making use of Sharia Law. Which I also agree with and have no problem supporting. It's just that I have seen that phrase used before in more right and far right wing based opinions and politics and wonder if he used it coincidentally or if it was purposely used to either redefine the phrase in a more widely acceptable setting or whether he wants to attract voters from that area of the spectrum.

Anyway it's interesting for this to come out at this time (although Keith Vaz doesn't seem to think so - in the article he suggests this is nothing new).

All in all I agree with him - also I think he's saying what a lot of people want and think but I don't know if others will see this as some sort of ruse or simply not believe anything a Tory MP says (or whether the aspect of him being Asian has any relevance?).

Indeed.

They're imitating Nigel farage on this imho.

I think the Tories et al are panicking myself.
    Forum Member
    They could have learned along with their children who learnt English at school.

Why anyone would want to live somewhere and not learn to speak the language is beyond me and why their children (now more than likely grown up) wouldn't want them to learn either is pretty selfish.

I think that keeping someone that isolated is about control as much as anything.

Get real! People lead busy lives and they couldn't can't pop down to the nearest college to learn a foreign language just like that and I doubt very much the courses were on offer from the late 40's to early 70's for them to learn anyway!

Asian people often relied on their kids to speak for them as they grew up though, thats the way it was and most of the older asian people, if they can't speak fluent english now are not going to try and learn now, no matter how much Governments/media/press and people try and move the goal posts on this and demand it from them!

Britons really lead the way in speaking fluent spanish when they move out there don't they?!