Original, Unaltered Cut Of Star Wars Trilogy To Be Released On Blu-ray By Disney

TardisSteveTardisSteve Posts: 8,077
Forum Member
http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/08/16/exclusive-original-unaltered-cut-of-star-wars-trilogy-to-be-rele/

i know this will be good news for the star wars fans who are not happy with the special editions, i like them personally but each to their own

Comments

• James2001James2001 Posts: 73,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Not suprised to hear this is finally happening now the issue's out of George Lucas's hands. Ironic really how someone who has in the past been a vocal proponant of film preservation has been actively supressing the original versions of the films for so long.
  • bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,737
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Is this possible? I have read that Fox own the all rights of IV. While they own distibution rights to V and VI to 2020.
  • JaiJaiJaiJai Posts: 541
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    bryemycaz wrote: »
    Is this possible? I have read that Fox own the all rights of IV. While they own distibution rights to V and VI to 2020.

Yep that's correct, unless Disney and Fox have come to some agreement I can't see this happening sadly, fingers crossed though!
  • dee123dee123 Posts: 46,260
    Forum Member
    JaiJai wrote: »
    Yep that's correct, unless Disney and Fox have come to some agreement I can't see this happening sadly, fingers crossed though!

Stranger things have happened. I never thought we'd see the Adam West Batman series on DVD, but finally Fox & WB have done a deal, so anything is possible.
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Money, be out just as the next one is released I would think. Don't mind the death star explosion being beefed up but that Han Solo scene in the bar, that's just criminal.
  • JasonJason Posts: 76,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    This was always going to happen once they got them away from Lucas - it's guaranteed money. They'll find a way to work it out with Fox.
  • Tony TigerTony Tiger Posts: 2,254
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If there were a version where you could individually tailor which changes you'd like to keep and which you'd get rid of, then I'd be interested. They weren't all so awful, after all, just a few notable terrible choices.
  • Slarti BartfastSlarti Bartfast Posts: 6,607
    Forum Member
    I think a happy medium would be to remove extra scenes but keep extra effects. so, no Greedo first or Jabba at Mos Eisley but shit will explode.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Blimey. At last. The fans will have to find something new to moan about.

Enter JJ Abrams...
  • Trevor_C7Trevor_C7 Posts: 184
    Forum Member
    Abrams has already ruined Star Trek. I expect him to do the same with Star Wars, although Lucas made a pretty good job of that himself with those God awful prequels.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    Trevor_C7 wrote: »
    Abrams has already ruined Star Trek. I expect him to do the same with Star Wars, although Lucas made a pretty good job of that himself with those God awful prequels.

The Star Trek films aren't bad films, they're just lacking the substance of the previous films and series. He won't have that issue with Star Wars, because there's very little substance there in the first place to be eroded...

To be honest, I don't think the original trilogy is the masterpiece everyone else considers it to be (Return of the Jedi is my personal favourite because it's the only one that makes you care about any of the characters), so I think there's a very strong chance he could improve it...
  • blueisthecolourblueisthecolour Posts: 20,125
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Star Trek films aren't bad films, they're just lacking the substance of the previous films and series. He won't have that issue with Star Wars, because there's very little substance there in the first place to be eroded...

To be honest, I don't think the original trilogy is the masterpiece everyone else considers it to be (Return of the Jedi is my personal favourite because it's the only one that makes you care about any of the characters), so I think there's a very strong chance he could improve it...

I'm not going to fall into the bear trap of commenting on the relative merits of Trek and Star Wars; but with regards to the new movies I will be interested to see how close (or not) JJ Abrams sticks to the existing world.

My main problem with the new Star Trek films was that although JJ threw in a lot of references to the established Trek universe, he fundamentally deviated from it. I don't mean just the 're-writing' history stuff, I mean that he changed a lot of important aspects of the Trek world and failed to keep it's over-riding philosophy. I mean, pretty much every Trek franchise has changed the universe and ideals to an extent (the difference between the original series and TNG was massive) so I accept the new film are just a continuation of that, but that doesn't mean I have to like it.

I'm not sure if Star Wars has a global philosophy the same way as Trek does, but it does have a vast amount of non-screen material that makes up it's own universe. And I understand that, unlike Trek, most of it is considered canon. Given that JJ will be looking at the wider audience rather than the hardcore fans I wonder how much of that material he will be happy to ignore, or even whether he will happy to alter parts of the on-screen world.
    Forum Member
    I'm not sure if Star Wars has a global philosophy the same way as Trek does, but it does have a vast amount of non-screen material that makes up it's own universe. And I understand that, unlike Trek, most of it is considered canon. Given that JJ will be looking at the wider audience rather than the hardcore fans I wonder how much of that material he will be happy to ignore, or even whether he will happy to alter parts of the on-screen world.

The main complaint about Trek seems to be that it's less philosophical and is now just a big shiny action film. (A complaint which I understand, but in the line of big shiny action movies, they are top notch.) Star Wars was always just a big shiny action film, which is why I think he'll do a lot better with Wars than Trek.

And from what I've heard J.J. is a big fan of Star Wars, so will presumably know lots about the extended universe, even if he chooses to ignore it...
  • Los_TributosLos_Tributos Posts: 2,100
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Trevor_C7 wrote: »

Yeah he's responsible for the two highest grossing Star Trek films, which also have the highest score on IMDB of the whole series.

Disney will be furious if he 'ruins' Star Wars in a similar way.
  • RebelScumRebelScum Posts: 16,008
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

There used to be several layers of Star Wars canon. However earlier this year the EU/canon issue was reviewed and an official announcement was made declaring that only the 6 movies and The Clone Wars TV show is now considered official canon, everything else, isn't. The collective non canon stuff has been been given the title of "Legends"', and essentially never happened. Going forward, the new films and the upcoming TV series Rebels will be included as official canon
  • balthasarbalthasar Posts: 2,824
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Well I guess someone is hoping to make a bit of money out of this "yours to treasure" collection of classic films, and then release the special editions as "yours to treasure" later.:D
  • idlewildeidlewilde Posts: 8,698
    Forum Member
    The one thing I do look forward to with JJ Abrams vision of Star Wars is how he seems to be staying close to the conceptual artwork of Ralph McQuarrie for the aesthetic. That is a good thing in my opinion.
  • Rich_LRich_L Posts: 6,110
    Forum Member
    WOW!! Any chance they could release this, say, in time for Christmas?

/cashcow
  • stvn758stvn758 Posts: 19,656
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hopefully the acting will be better, I assume JJ will supply a script as Lucas obviously didn't for the prequels. As for Star Trek, was looking forward to it and it turns out to be a Wrath Of Khan rehash, what a let down.
  • Gordie1Gordie1 Posts: 6,993
    Forum Member
    I'll be glad if this happens.

I don't mind a few things tweaked here and there, bloopers taken out, bad effects fixed wobble fixed etc, but all that cgi is awefull.

I cant even watch the prequels, the CGI was cartoonish then, now it just looks and embarrassing brown mess, it just looks so fake, the whole thing looks awefull.
    Forum Member
    stvn758 wrote: »
    Hopefully the acting will be better, I assume JJ will supply a script as Lucas obviously didn't for the prequels. As for Star Trek, was looking forward to it and it turns out to be a Wrath Of Khan rehash, what a let down.

Lucas' problem is that he's a tech-nerd, and likes all the SFX technology and the editing process, but doesn't like having to interact and work with actors, ie real people. That's why his direction of character dialogue and interaction is flat and wooden, and totally inane. Kershner especially at least managed to get the characters to act more naturally with each other in TESB. Lucas' direction was simply "Er, do it again, more intense"

I read that many of the prequel cast found it completely painful as a filmmaking process.
  • Johnny ClayJohnny Clay Posts: 5,326
    Forum Member
    Given that JJ will be looking at the wider audience rather than the hardcore fans.
    From what we've learnt so far, it's the hardcore fans who are being catered to the most, isn't it? The Falcon, Ford, Hamill etc all being dusted down and wheeled on set.

As for pleasing the wider audience we can presume Abrams does better here than previous attempts. Despite its high level of brand awareness, Abrams/Paramount couldn't propel Trek into the higher echelons of the franchise league. Neither made over $500m worldwide and a lot was expected of ST:ID. Abrams' mediocre M:I entry proved the lowest performer of the series as well. Regardless of all the fanboy fawning, he's got a lot to prove.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 411
    Forum Member
    idlewilde wrote: »
    The one thing I do look forward to with JJ Abrams vision of Star Wars is how he seems to be staying close to the conceptual artwork of Ralph McQuarrie for the aesthetic. That is a good thing in my opinion.

how do you know, we haven't seen any finished film yet??
    Forum Member
    dbob wrote: »

We've seen shots of stuff, and the commenter did use the term "he seems"...
    Forum Member
    dbob wrote: »

Just from the clips and stills of the X-Wing and the Snowtrooper / Stormtrooper helmets that have surfaced online. There was also this shot of a kind of overhead gate on a desert planet that is lifted straight out of McQuarrie's work.