would you kill a baby

2»

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    big dan wrote: »
    In response, no I wouldn't, as others have said it isn't worth the risk changing time.

I don't think anyone can, it's set in stone imo. If you were to go back, your efforts would be thwarted in some way or your actions would be part of the story, recorded or not.
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    How about going even further back and killing the baby Jesus - then we'd still all be Jewish!
  • SystemSystem Posts: 2,096,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    adopter wrote: »
    How about going even further back and killing the baby Jesus - then we'd still all be Jewish!

Even Muslims? :confused:
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    Worse??

Global pain & misery, 70,000,000.00 dead and half the word's cities reduced to rubble.

How could it have been worse?

Big nuke fest, billions dead, global pain and misery. The entire world reduced to a lifeless radioactive lump of rock?

There's plenty of ways it could've been worse. Maybe without the Second World War, the Cold war could've turned out to be a rather Hot war. Or maybe it wouldn't, but I think it's naive to suggest that just removing Hitler from the picture would have prevented a war of that scale from occurring.
  • netcurtainsnetcurtains Posts: 23,494
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I couldn't kill a baby.
    It took more than one person to cause what happened. If it hadn't have been Adolf at the helm, it would have been someone else. Plenty of Jew haters around then, not just Hitler.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,970
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yep I would do it in an instant
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 133
    Forum Member
    No I wouldn't.

As other posters have pointed out to kill Hitler would lead to such a fundamental change in the time-line that there is no way we can predict what would happen. Better the “devil you know” and all that.

However my understanding on one of the current theories of time travel (and Multiverse) is that if we develop the ability to go back in time and I go back and kill him a new time-line will be created and will "branch" out along side the original time-line so although I will live in the new time-line for the rest of you nothing would have changed and events would unfold as they had done so before. Pretty handy as it gets around the whole "Grandfather Paradox". :)
  • nanscombenanscombe Posts: 16,588
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    neon tiger wrote: »
    No I would get someone to convert him to Judaism:)

Hitler in charge of Israel, now there's a grim thought. :eek:

He'd probably force all of those with a different religion into enclaves, treat them abominably possibly going as far as killing many of them.

... Oh, hang on. Is there any evidence for re-incarnation?
  • stateofgameplaystateofgameplay Posts: 3,578
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    If you could go back in time to 1890 when hitler was a baby all cute and everything , would you kill him knowing all the lives he would take in the future

I dont think i could

bit random but it made me think

Someone needs to learn some Quantum mechanics and realise that as much as you'd stop THAT hitler, you wouldn't stop them all, in the metaverse... ;)
  • NathalieRNathalieR Posts: 16,004
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Definitely not!
  • Pisces CloudPisces Cloud Posts: 30,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No, I couldn't kill a baby either. I might attempt to remove him though and place him with someone else. I think it would be very difficult to just not do anything.
  • HelboreHelbore Posts: 16,069
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    cosmo wrote: »
    Worse??

Global pain & misery, 70,000,000.00 dead and half the word's cities reduced to rubble.

How could it have been worse?

Hitler wasn't the only Nazi in Germany, nor did he start the movement. If Hitler didn't start WW2, it's very likely that someone else would have - and that someone might have been a better Supreme Commander than Hitler.

The German army was terrifying during WW2. It had some amazing commanders, well-implemented modern strategies and top of the line equipment. But Hitler is noted for making bad calls himself. With someone else at the top, we might have not had Germany deciding to break their non-aggression pact with Russia and no second front opening up. Consequently, we might have lost the war. That, I would think, would have been far worse.

Too much stock is given to Hitler for starting WW2. It wasn't just him who was a nasty, twisted little piece of dirt. No guarantee that - if Hitler had not been there - we would have got a nicer, friendlier Nazi in his place.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Yes, quite happily.

My grandad was one of the british soldiers marched through belsen after the yanks liberated it, at the end of the war. To bear witness.

I'd kill Adolf slowly, too. Although you'd have to finish off the overbearing mother in case she went and replaced him.:D

Trouble is... No Hitler = no Israel.

That said, my father was one of the British soldiers still fighting til 1947 and had to help 'build' Israel whilst being shot at by Israeli terrorists who considered he wasn't building it fast enough. This seems to be a piece of WW2 history kept quiet as it's embarrassing that the jewish people were trying to murder British soldiers.

And I'm on the Palestinians' side in that one. So it's a complex question.
  • Dai13371Dai13371 Posts: 8,071
    Forum Member
    If you could go back in time to 1890 when hitler was a baby all cute and everything , would you kill him knowing all the lives he would take in the future

I dont think i could

I'd go back and tell them that the Treaty Of Versailles was far too damaging for Germany and was liable not to please a few future politicians. Not getting locked up in asylum as some sort of nutcase notwithstanding of course.
  • jarrjarr Posts: 396
    Forum Member
    Would I be using a de lorean or the Tardis?
  • Bom Diddly WoBom Diddly Wo Posts: 14,094
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I would only kill a baby in self defense.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jarr wrote: »

Tardis. Way less obtrusive in Austria at that date.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I dont think i could

Why on earth would he need to be murdered? Causality suggests that doing a few things differently throughout his childhood would result in a different "end product".
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 25,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jarr wrote: »

As cool as the Delorean looks, we've seen how problematic it can be finding plutonium...so Tardis all the way.
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,239
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Who knows. What happened, happened.

Would the world be a better place if Hitler wasn't born? I have no idea!

Would the world be a better or worse place if the Nazis had won WWII? Again, I, or anyone else for that matter, has any idea.
  • adopteradopter Posts: 11,937
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Gilbertoo wrote: »
    Why on earth would he need to be murdered? Causality suggests that doing a few things differently may throughout his childhood would result in a different "end product".

Clearly because then the ethical dilemma wouldn't be such an ethical dilemma.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    If I could go back and stop Hitler I wouldn't - any alteration to history would be catastrophic.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, because then some of my favourite films and computer games would never have been made :D
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,273
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No.
    If it wasn't for the lessons learnt through that tragic time in history we'd be governed by the BNP today and on our way to our own holocaust.

What I'm trying to say is that if it wasn't for Hitler someone else would have done the same or similer at some point. Hitler wasn't unique in his ideas.