Program volume levels.

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4
Forum Member
Has anyone else noticed that many of the chanels have been playing with there volume levels lately.

Most of the UK channels and many of the sky movie chanels have been showing the programs at much reduced volume levels but the ad's and the infills at a higher level.

For normal viewing I would not have to take my TV much above 20 on the volume scale, yet I have just had to watch colateral on Sky Movies at 40. Same the other day with UK gold and Real time.

I thought there was a regulation about this as one of the chanels got fined recently for doing this.

Having to dive for the remote during add breaks and at the end of films is annoying me abit, especially watching late at night when the rest of the family is in bed.

SteveR

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8
    Forum Member
    I haven't noticed. Adverts are always compressed and increased so they sit just under the limit of 6ppm, and general programmes float about in the 3-6ppm range.

Saying that, I only watch the terrestrial broadcasters, who are regulated by OFCOM, so they would have to conform to the QC guidelines - which don't permit such vast volume ranges as your specifying, which would result in being fined.

Remember also that movies, in their natue, use a more diverse sound range then standard TV programmes, so they will always sound quieter when going to a loud ad break.

Although saying all that, Sky might just be wanting more people to buy new tv sets because of blown speakers.. you never know!
  • Presenter100Presenter100 Posts: 796
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It is just the compression applied to the ads by the advertisers. There is little compression appled to programmes, if they did you would hear too much noise from the mics, and it is also very tiring on the ears. Also, it only really works well on music, so speach content would sound very produced and studio based when it's not supposed to be.

In an ideal world they would reduce it on the ads, thats never gunna happen, so just either turn the volume down on the ads like the majority of people or get sky+ and ff the ads! I do!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 524
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have noticed this in the last 2-3 weeks.

First of all I thought it was my amp until I realised that all other sources hadn't changed. On my Denon I usually have things set to around -30db but recently it has been about -25db on all channels via the Astra 2 satellite (all normal channels).

So yes, there is a diffrence and I'm glad that somebody else has picked up on it!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,193
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Also worth a mention that if you are watching HD with 5.1 sound, then this will appear quieter through normal stereo monitoring.

I usually have to up the 'volume' when watching HD channels compared to SD ones.

:)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 96
    Forum Member
    Comedy Central Extra is terrible for this....
    Everytime a break comes up it's a scramble for the remote to turn the volume down before it rattles the windows,

The volume level of the programming is painfully low
  • Rugby RoseRugby Rose Posts: 13,228
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Happened to me on Sci Fi the other day trying to watch the film with Kevin Bacon in. It was painfully quiet, had to put the volume right up and when the ads came on I near flew off the sofa. Ridiculous.
  • John RobinsonJohn Robinson Posts: 2,718
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I don't think this is anything new. I have found adverts to be generally louder than the intervening programmes for years. Of course, it could have become even worse recently; I don't watch adverts these days.