Options

Alexandra Burke "Let it Go" Premieres" WORLDWIDE SMASH!!

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 11,275
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Makson wrote: »
    As an Alex fan, I just don't think this is the direction she should be going in. She is one of the most talented artists to emerge from the uk but she is being wasted on such cheap, generic material.
    In years to come, Elephant and Let It Go will sound horribly dated on a greatest hits album for instance. Alex should be building her legacy but these dance tracks are setting her back.
    But I guess if she really wants to do a euro-dance album then get it out of the way now. I just hope her third album will be deeper and have a more timeless feel to it.

Well said. She seems to be selling her soul (there's a pun there) for a high chart position and a few sales instead of building a credible discography. This could be any old Euro-dance tune from any number of generic anonymous faceless act.

She has a great voice and can do better. Two poor songs in a row now in my opinion.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,060
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I like it, but it's not as good as All Night Long or Start Without You. I still haven't heard Elephant:o
  • Options
    BoxfreshBoxfresh Posts: 2,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jackbell wrote: »
    Well said. She seems to be selling her soul (there's a pun there) for a high chart position and a few sales instead of building a credible discography. This could be any old Euro-dance tune from any number of generic anonymous faceless act.

She has a great voice and can do better. Two poor songs in a row now in my opinion.

I think that's harsh. Among her peers in the UK, Alex seems to be the only one interested in trying to evolve into an "artist".

Regardless of what you think of Elephant or Let It Go, both songs are pretty much cut from the same cloth. Alex isn't paying lip service to doing the dance genre for this album. She's actually doing it. Elephant did OK, but didn't set the world on fire. The usual response would be to release something completely diffrerent, and hope it does better. Alex hasn'st taken the easy option. She's chosen a direction, and stuck to it.

You simply do not see this level of cohesiveness in pop artists anymore. Artists switch genres and styles completely between singles now, to try and predict what the public wants. Pixie Lott will drop an Amy Winehouse style retro tune like Mama Do one minute, then put out a song that Britney Spears would release. Jessie J will come out with a Rhianna type song, then later switch to a Katy Perry type song to keep up with what the public want.

Alex is rolling the dice, choosiong a direction, and sticking with it. She's doing what she wants, and not trying to second guess the public. In this day and age for a popstar of her type, it's a brave thing to do, and very admirable.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just heard it now. Nothing special really.

What's the fuss?
  • Options
    big danbig dan Posts: 7,878
    Forum Member
    Suprised at some of the hysterically positive reactions to this song to be honest. If I was a big fan of Alex I would be wanting to hear singles that stood out from the crowd and did her talent justice, not some generic club banger that any old DJ could have released with an unknown singer. Even as far as mainstream dance tracks go it's not even on par with the best of it's kind - Love Takes Over and even Leona's Collide crap all over it imo.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,550
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alex does ballads better.
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    JPordan wrote:
    As much as I like it... Didnt everyone say elephant was gonna be a smash hit number 1? :) Honestly not being horrible!:D

It was a hit, but when Capital and Radio 1 don't play you, you'll never be #1. Find me a #1 that wasn't playlisted by either. And that is your answer.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 673
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its a fierce single which I think everyone is being drawn in by but it doesn't sound that special :S I think all her other singles have been better =P

This girl has lots of soul in her voice and shes losing it by trying to do all these club bangers. It begs the question of whether she is selling out to stay in this business as club bangers is what is setting the charts on fire at the moment :(

For the record though, I am an Alex fan, love broken heels, the silence and all night long :P
  • Options
    iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    Nemokins wrote: »
    Its a fierce single which I think everyone is being drawn in by but it doesn't sound that special :S I think all her other singles have been better =P

This girl has lots of soul in her voice and shes losing it by trying to do all these club bangers. It begs the question of whether she is selling out to stay in this business as club bangers is what is setting the charts on fire at the moment :(

For the record though, I am an Alex fan, love broken heels, the silence and all night long :P

She's being smart. Not selling out. She's never released soul records, she's always been pop. Same for Whitney, her biggest success was adapting gospel vocals without the church feel on pop/light r&b records. She isn't losing her voice either, but it's the music she wants to do. Not trend jumping. She said the album was soul anthem influenced but more modern. Let's see what she has first before freaking out :)
  • Options
    Carly_ThompsonCarly_Thompson Posts: 2,345
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Alexandra always wanted to do this type of music I think. When she first won I did think she was being forced into the dance direction so that she wouldn't clash with Leona, but as time has gone on I've realised Alex just loves being energetic on stage and doing her uptempo music. I love her vocals on this song. They're fierce and aggressive but laid back too. With Alex's type of voice, it wouldn't really work if she made uptempo's like Titanium or Collide as her voice is quite deep, so she suits this type of song even though it doesn't show off her full potential.

I still hope Alex has a big hit with a ballad at some point as her voice is amazing on those. I loved her performances of The Silence.
  • Options
    bazztheman93bazztheman93 Posts: 4,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Look Guys when Alex and when many other artists release ballads, mainly except Adele, people say they are boring, when Alex did release a great ballad, her fans didn't all buy it, it is her lowest charting single at 15. And all saying this dance/pop is just a cop out is laughable. I would much rather listen to a club pop song than a ballad during the summer. Its a summer tune and I love it.
  • Options
    LMLM Posts: 63,510
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    I've come to expect that from the majority of this forum - whenever a chart-hogging popstar releases a new song, loads of users here go crazy about it as if it's one of the best songs ever made, yet most of the time the song in question turns out to be just another average, typical chart-aimed pop/dance song.

I don't hear anything about this particular song that makes it any different, but then again it's by an X Factor singer, so folk here were inevitably going to go mad about it no matter what.

This:D:D:D:):):)
  • Options
    twingletwingle Posts: 19,322
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kutox wrote: »
    I've come to expect that from the majority of this forum - whenever a chart-hogging popstar releases a new song, loads of users here go crazy about it as if it's one of the best songs ever made, yet most of the time the song in question turns out to be just another average, typical chart-aimed pop/dance song.

I don't hear anything about this particular song that makes it any different, but then again it's by an X Factor singer, so folk here were inevitably going to go mad about it no matter what.

But it works the other way too. So many music snobs refuse to like anything (no matter how good) that has come from an X factor act.

For the record I am indifferent to Alex but like this song which is catchy and there is no reason for it not to chart high
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Boxfresh wrote: »
    Artists switch genres and styles completely between singles now, to try and predict what the public wants. Pixie Lott will drop an Amy Winehouse style retro tune like Mama Do one minute, then put out a song that Britney Spears would release. Jessie J will come out with a Rhianna type song, then later switch to a Katy Perry type song to keep up with what the public want.

This sounds like what Alexandra is doing too. Giving the public an anonymous generic simple dance tune that repeats itself over and over until we get it.

As I say, she can do better. :)
  • Options
    mattthemolemattthemole Posts: 373
    Forum Member
    I like it, but like other people have commented, it sounds very generic-dance-song-esque..

She can do better. I'm sure the song will grow on me though...
  • Options
    MartimaterMartimater Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    No doubt this is going to provoke a reaction from the 'stans', but doesn't it seem Alexandra is trying too hard to stay in the limelight? Either that or she's carving out a future career as a drag queen.
  • Options
    BoxfreshBoxfresh Posts: 2,764
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    edit.
  • Options
    JustArunJustArun Posts: 8,941
    Forum Member
    Martimater wrote: »
    No doubt this is going to provoke a reaction from the 'stans', but doesn't it seem Alexandra is trying too hard to stay in the limelight? Either that or she's carving out a future career as a drag queen.

Was this really necessary?
  • Options
    xmel05xmel05 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    I was looking forward to Alex's new material but I have to admit that I am disappointed up to now.

If she released the material this time last year it would be alright but I am getting sick to death of this type of music. We need good old R&B music from her.
  • Options
    MartimaterMartimater Posts: 337
    Forum Member
    JustArun wrote: »
    Was this really necessary?

Have you see her arms? She could challenge Rambo to wrestle with them. Alexandra, Alexandra. Sigh.
  • Options
    bazztheman93bazztheman93 Posts: 4,511
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    xmel05 wrote: »
    I was looking forward to Alex's new material but I have to admit that I am disappointed up to now.

If she released the material this time last year it would be alright but I am getting sick to death of this type of music. We need good old R&B music from her.

RnB Music isn;t even selling well in the states anymore, for the time being it just isn't selling, and its sad but all record companies now care about is sales, and top 10 singles and albums. The single is POP/RnB but i just don't see RnB music alone selling very well. I love the genre, however there have been great RnB albums in recent times but have failed to sell.
  • Options
    FanFromHollandFanFromHolland Posts: 5,987
    Forum Member
    I think this has the potential to do well worldwide, but with the right promo and money and team behind her

otherwise it'll not chart as well as it should
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Martimater wrote: »

LOL Dot Com. :)
  • Options
    Rob200696Rob200696 Posts: 1,767
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    aslong as it had the right promotion and radio support it will be Number 1!
  • Options
    FabalaFabala Posts: 1,058
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Rob200696 wrote: »
    aslong as it had the right promotion and radio support it will be Number 1!

Id bet a considerable amount of money that it won't be number 1. And when that happens, you'll all come out and blame the radio support. Rather than the song being piss poor.