Why does Scotland have its own singles chart.

Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
Forum Member
✭✭
In recent months i have noticed it has become more prevalent and im wondering why i mean its still just a branch of the UK singles chart so what is the point of it it just seems pointless.

Comments

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,215
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Perhaps we should have an England, Ireland and Wales chart then:)
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    We have our own singles chart here in Ireland but I always follow the UK charts. It's easier for posting info on here.
  • Hav_mor91Hav_mor91 Posts: 17,183
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think Wales etc does but doesn't make as much of a point which makes sense as a whole the scottish charts only matter in the confines of the UK charts so why mention it as though its its own equally important and seperate chart when its pretty pointless.
  • ScottishWoodyScottishWoody Posts: 23,237
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've always wondered, when I download a song, how does it know I'm from Scotland? Obviously knowing I'm from the UK is easy enough because I download from iTunes UK or HMV Digital, but then how does it know? IP address?
  • newplanetnewplanet Posts: 398
    Forum Member
    Hav_mor91 wrote: »
    I think Wales etc does but doesn't make as much of a point which makes sense as a whole the scottish charts only matter in the confines of the UK charts so why mention it as though its its own equally important and seperate chart when its pretty pointless.

Why *not* mention it though? If someone somewhere is interested in a Scottish chart then who is anyone else to say there shouldn't be one?

That said, I live in Scotland and I am not in the slightest bit interested in a Scottish chart.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    newplanet wrote: »
    Why *not* mention it though? If someone somewhere is interested in a Scottish chart then who is anyone else to say there shouldn't be one?

That said, I live in Scotland and I am not in the slightest bit interested in a Scottish chart.

I'm not saying there shouldn't be one Wales as far as im aware has one what im failing to understand is the sudden interest in it and seeing it as a seperate chart when its part of the UK one and has no real significance other than adding to the Uk chart as a whole.
    Forum Member
    I'm not saying there shouldn't be one Wales as far as im aware has one what im failing to understand is the sudden interest in it and seeing it as a seperate chart when its part of the UK one and has no real significance other than adding to the Uk chart as a whole.

Scotland is a significant market segment, surely?

It *is* a seperate chart and it *is* significant if someone is interested enough in the difference between buyers in Scotland and buyers elsewhere in the UK.

It is probably of more interest to record companies but, like I say, I am not sure the ordinary Scottish person on the street is all that much interested in it to be perfectly honest.
  • shackfanshackfan Posts: 15,461
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its so Runrig could chart;)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Scotland is a significant market segment, surely?

It *is* a seperate chart and it *is* significant if someone is interested enough in the difference between buyers in Scotland and buyers elsewhere in the UK.

It is probably of more interest to record companies but, like I say, I am not sure the ordinary Scottish person on the street is all that much interested in it to be perfectly honest.

It's not a separate chart its sales as a whole count toward the UK charts so whats it matter if someone gets #1 in Scotland when it may not be #1 in the UK charts as a whole which is a significantly larger and more important market i just don't get the point in drawing attention to a chart which has nonother purpose than that of feeding into the UK market i can understand it from a point of general interest but not something of which to hold with much importance.
  • mgvsmithmgvsmith Posts: 16,457
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    In recent months i have noticed it has become more prevalent and im wondering why i mean its still just a branch of the UK singles chart so what is the point of it it just seems pointless.

Scotland has its own Parliament why shouldn't it have its own chart, just saying!

Note that Ireland has a population of 4.5m and Scotland is 5.2m, a demographic worth considering?
  • iseloidiseloid Posts: 9,392
    Forum Member
    The sales are often different. If the sales/positions were the same, there wouldn't be a regional chart.
  • ScenciaScencia Posts: 271
    Forum Member
    It's not a separate chart its sales as a whole count toward the UK charts so whats it matter if someone gets #1 in Scotland when it may not be #1 in the UK charts as a whole which is a significantly larger and more important market i just don't get the point in drawing attention to a chart which has nonother purpose than that of feeding into the UK market i can understand it from a point of general interest but not something of which to hold with much importance.

If its not a seperate chart then why title you thread as "Why does Scotland have its own singles chart ?"
    Also the geographical sales are of huge importance to the record company as it will play a significant part in promotional activity / advertising / initial shipping units etc of the product.
    Its no different from any Retail company wanting to know the sales trend of their product within the different areas of the UK. Its simple business sense to know detailed sales of a product so they can distribute appropriately.
    Forum Member
    It is a separate chart because it literally separates Scottish sales from everything else. Is the European chart not separate to the UK chart because it includes UK sales? Does that make the European chart "the more important" chart?

The UK record buying market is made up of several segments and each of them can be more/less/equally important to the "whole UK" market, depending on your product and your point of view.

In short, just because you don't see the point, doesn't mean that nobody else sees the point. To some, the Scottish market is equally important (it could be even more important) than the UK market as a whole, or any other market for that matter - for all the reasons that Scencia mentioned above.
  • RubricalRubrical Posts: 2,715
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Never aware of Scottish charts unless I go searching for it online. A population of 5 million and with sales being generally low I wouldn't have thought a Scottish chart would mean much!
    Forum Member
    Rubrical wrote: »
    Never aware of Scottish charts unless I go searching for it online. A population of 5 million and with sales being generally low I wouldn't have thought a Scottish chart would mean much!

It means much if you're a record producer, artist, label, marketing manager, etc.

If you live in Scotland and you're not a record producer, artist, label or marketing manager, it will possibly be of passing interest, but I still don't believe it's as well known as the OP is suggesting.

If you don't live in Scotland and you're not a record producer, artist, label or marketing manager, it will probably mean very little.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    It means much if you're a record producer, artist, label, marketing manager, etc.

If you live in Scotland and you're not a record producer, artist, label or marketing manager, it will possibly be of passing interest, but I still don't believe it's as well known as the OP is suggesting.

If you don't live in Scotland and you're not a record producer, artist, label or marketing manager, it will probably mean very little.

See your missing my point i said recently its always been there just in more recent months people have started to pay more attention to it and i just wondered why now all of a sudden and if people are paying more attention to it why not Wales or N'Irelands significantly smaller but plays a part to the UK chart as a whole too.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,425
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It would be interesting to see what the UK charts would look like without Scotland as well. Though personally, I'd be more interested in a London chart...

I presume the reason they have a separate chart is for political reasons (hence why it's being pushed more recently). In Belgium they have separate charts for the Flemish and Wallonian regions.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lumiere wrote: »
    It would be interesting to see what the UK charts would look like without Scotland as well. Though personally, I'd be more interested in a London chart...

I presume the reason they have a separate chart is for political reasons (hence why it's being pushed more recently). In Belgium they have separate charts for the Flemish and Wallonian regions.

That is what i generally assumed too with their push for independence i just wanted to see others views and see if there was perhaps another reason.
    Forum Member
    See your missing my point i said recently its always been there just in more recent months people have started to pay more attention to it and i just wondered why now all of a sudden and if people are paying more attention to it why not Wales or N'Irelands significantly smaller but plays a part to the UK chart as a whole too.

You asked why there is a Scottish chart at all. Then you asked why it was important. We answered.

And I've said more than once that I don't believe the Scottish chart is being paid any more attention than it has been before. What are you basing that assumption on?
    Forum Member
    That is what i generally assumed too with their push for independence i just wanted to see others views and see if there was perhaps another reason.

"Their" push for independence? Who is they, exactly?

There *are* other reasons the Scottish chart is important, yes. You seem not to want to listen to them, though.
  • madiain28madiain28 Posts: 1,027
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There has always been a Scottish chart I used to keep track of it in the early eighties. It's important for reasons already stated re selling promotion etc. it's like you wouldn't go to a vegetarian market with a meat stall. Just like why would record companies spend thousands of pounds promoting a band that's doesn't appeal to the entire uk but does sell well in Scotland. In the nineties TTF were a huge Scottish dance group but wider uk they didn't have huge hits. They then focused their promotion in The Scottish dance scene. Just like Jedward hardly make any impact on the UK charts however appear to be huge in Ireland so the record company wants to ensure they spend the time and money promoting were they will make return revenue. It's also hugely important for up and coming localised bands to know how well they are doing in their home Country. I am surprised London has not had its own chart as again both multiculturalist and local bands it would be interesting to see how the demographics change north to south etc.