The Professionals

Comments

• macca@90macca@90 Posts: 1,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I heard that too. Also he was training with the SAS for a while but they didn't let him join due to his showbiz background or something like that :confused:
  • SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes, apparently he went through all the SAS training and passed but they didn't want to take on a famous face because it might have generated unwanted publicity.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BR pre-order up:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professionals-Mk-I-Blu-ray/dp/B00HZH8RVA
    Long-awaited, long-overdue: The Professionals as you have never seen them before.

Bodie and Doyle need little by way of introduction but if the series had at all escaped you since its debut in 1977, their boss George Cowley, head of CI5 couldn't put it more succinctly than his opening gambit "anarchy, acts of terror, crimes against the public. To combat it I've got special men experts from the army, the police, from every service. These are The Professionals".

Featuring the perfect ensemble cast of Martin Shaw, Gordon Jackson (completely against type here) and the much-missed Lewis Collins, the series ran for 57 action-packed episodes and made an immediate impact on British and then international audiences which has sustained 35 years. But the series has never looked this good. Painstakingly restored from the camera-original negatives the series could have been made yesterday. No matter how many times you have seen The Professionals, this is a new experience, like seeing it for the first time.

[] Brand new high definition restorations of the first thirteen episodes from the camera-original negatives
    [] Brand new 5.1 tracks from original sound elements
    [] Remastered original as-broadcast mono tracks
    [] Remastered music-only tracks featuring Laurie Johnson's original scores
    [] HD photo galleries featuring hundreds of rare and previously unseen images
    [] Reinstated original main and end titles
    [] Exclusive book and programme notes authored by tv historian Andrew Pixley which documents the complete history of the production of these first thirteen episodes
    [] Without Walls documentary from 1996 featuring interviews with the creative driving force behind the series
    [] PDF material featuring scripts, rare paperwork
    [] Footage archive featuring additional material, raw titles, advert break bumpers and more
    [] English HOH subtitles

Pleased I sold my complete boxset last year for £400!
  • VincentHVincentH Posts: 363
    Forum Member
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFnghdWKIOQ

Does look very good! Wonder if they can do the same for shows like The Sweeney and Minder?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Straker wrote: »
    BR pre-order up:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professionals-Mk-I-Blu-ray/dp/B00HZH8RVA

Pleased I sold my complete boxset last year for £400!

This does look very good indeed. Definitely a must-have for all Pros fans.
  • Z StardustZ Stardust Posts: 430
    Forum Member
    VincentH wrote: »

Does look very good! Wonder if they can do the same for shows like The Sweeney and Minder?

The first series of The Sweeney is available on Blu Ray as is the pilot "Regan", I don't own either yet though.

Will definitely be buying The Professionals one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sloopy wrote: »
    This does look very good indeed. Definitely a must-have for all Pros fans.

Shame there are no commentaries. I was hoping they`d gotten Collins at least to put some down before his sad passing. No surprise that Shaw isn`t contributing but in the absence of either perhaps they could have gotten uber-fan Dave Rogers to do some?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Shame there are no commentaries. I was hoping they`d gotten Collins at least to put some down before his sad passing. No surprise that Shaw isn`t contributing but in the absence of either perhaps they could have gotten uber-fan Dave Rogers to do some?

It depends on when the package was put together, but Lewis Collins may not have been well enough to take part anyway, particularly considering he was keeping his condition private.

Sadly Professionals box sets are often lacking in contributions from any actors who took part in the series.

Martin Shaw will probably be thinking: "Not another bloody re-release!" :D
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member
    VincentH wrote: »

Get yer trousers on.:D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000V6AEPO/ref=cm_cd_asin_lnk

It's already been done - every episode in lovely remastered clarity plus both films and lots of extras.

Edit: seems to be priced at £300.:o I'm sure I got mine for about £50...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It depends on when the package was put together, but Lewis Collins may not have been well enough to take part anyway, particularly considering he was keeping his condition private.

Network have been working on it for some considerable time. I would have thought Lewis could have used the money as well. If he was reduced to appearing on Bob Mills` terrible chat show I can only assume any extra income would have helped.
    Get yer trousers on.:D

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000V6AEPO/ref=cm_cd_asin_lnk

It's already been done - every episode in lovely remastered clarity plus both films and lots of extras.

Edit: seems to be priced at £300.:o I'm sure I got mine for about £50...

That`s DVD, not blu-ray.
  • Trsvis_BickleTrsvis_Bickle Posts: 9,202
    Forum Member

That`s DVD, not blu-ray.

Ah, sorry. Missed the distinction. I have only ever owned a DVD player. You do seem to get automatically shafted by going for Blu-ray.
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I loved that episode when the man went on a murderous rampage after a medical blunder caused the death of his wife in childbirth.

Is it true that Lewis Collins disliked the series and only agreed to it because he had nothing else and thought there'd be just one season?
  • Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I loved that episode when the man went on a murderous rampage after a medical blunder caused the death of his wife in childbirth.

Is it true that Lewis Collins disliked the series and only agreed to it because he had nothing else and thought there'd be just one season?

The Madness of Mickey Hamilton. Great episode.

Martin Shaw has never hidden his contempt for The Professionals, so I think you're probably thinking of him rather than Lewis, although if you watch any of the last episodes (currently on ITV4) he looks as bored as hell as well!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 124
    Forum Member
    I like watching the shows again, but they make me start watching eBay again for Ford Capri's :)
  • Phoenix LazarusPhoenix Lazarus Posts: 17,306
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Martin Shaw has never hidden his contempt for The Professionals, so I think you're probably thinking of him rather than Lewis

Correct, I did mean Martin Shaw not Lewis Collins!:blush:
  • darnall42darnall42 Posts: 4,080
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think I can answer that one, it was shot in 16mm hence the prints are far from brlliant maybe BBC Resources should remaster it
    Network DVD are currently remastering the show from the original negatives and series 1 is due for a release on blu ray this year :)
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Fishface wrote: »
    I think it's filmed in 'not so super' 16mm film to be more accurate. The granada versions have been remastered as far as I can tell from general observation.

Martin Shaw had a bit of get up and go in those days. :D

16mm film always looks a bit yukky on modern TV systems, but the prints currently being shown on ITV4 (3?) look yonks old and are showing their age - colour balance drifting toward yellow is a common prob.
    The Professionals is still my favourite 'thick ear' action/espionage series - the relationship between Bodie & Doyle is great and often forms a major part of the story. Cowley (the always-excellent Gordon Jackson) puts the cherry on the cake, he bawls them out and then invites them to the pub for a fine Malt.
  • Andy2Andy2 Posts: 11,949
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    darnall42 wrote: »
    Network DVD are currently remastering the show from the original negatives and series 1 is due for a release on blu ray this year :)

Wow, might get! I'm surprised it's on BD, as 16mm film is only just a match for standard definition TV. Sounds like a bit of a waste...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Madness of Mickey Hamilton. Great episode.

Martin Shaw has never hidden his contempt for The Professionals, so I think you're probably thinking of him rather than Lewis, although if you watch any of the last episodes (currently on ITV4) he looks as bored as hell as well!

The entire four years were presumably a tremendous struggle for Martin Shaw! - but it does seem they were both equally glad to get out by the time their contracts were up.
  • Mel GMel G Posts: 5,253
    Forum Member
    Had a massive crush on Martin Shaw during his Professionals days and really enjoying catching the odd episode on itv4 (although watch them with an ironic smirk these days rather than a besotted grin). Will perhaps put the remastered versions on my next Christmas list so I can re-live my youth!

I've still got all my Professionals posters and magazines up in the loft, although I think the chances of getting Martin Shaw to autograph them are slimmer than an anorexic supermodel........
  • Fred FlintstoneFred Flintstone Posts: 795
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The entire four years were presumably a tremendous struggle for Martin Shaw! - but it does seem they were both equally glad to get out by the time their contracts were up.

Why was that?
  • Ray_SmithRay_Smith Posts: 1,372
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Martin Shaw played a secondary character in the Golden Voyage of Sinbad film (1973)

https://cdn.argentaimages.com/images/detail/EDS1350315049IMJXQT.jpg

so I don't understand why he's so prissy or dismissive about The Professionals. He should be grateful the show made him famous and (I assume) reasonably well-paid.

By the way, I recommend The Golden Voyage of Sinbad. It's cheesy but fun. :)

The Blu-ray remastered versions of the show look amazing. Similar to The Prisoner tv show remastered Bluray.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Ray_Smith wrote: »
    Martin Shaw played a secondary character in the Golden Voyage of Sinbad film (1973)

https://cdn.argentaimages.com/images/detail/EDS1350315049IMJXQT.jpg

so I don't understand why he's so prissy or dismissive about The Professionals. He should be grateful the show made him famous and (I assume) reasonably well-paid.

The Professionals may have been a bit daft occasionally but it was just a programme of its time. People know Martin has done a ton of other work since then.

By barring the repeats for years he drew further attention to it, plus he made it all about 'him' - there were many other people involved with the show who could have probably done with a few extra quid from the royalties!
  • Gregory ShapeGregory Shape Posts: 2,595
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Professionals may have been a bit daft occasionally but it was just a programme of its time. People know Martin has done a ton of other work since then.

By barring the repeats for years he drew further attention to it, plus he made it all about 'him' - there were many other people involved with the show who could have probably done with a few extra quid from the royalties!

Rumour has it that he finally relented and allowed repeats to be shown after he discovered that Gordon Jackson's widow was struggling for money.
  • millysshawmillysshaw Posts: 2,464
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mel G wrote: »
    Had a massive crush on Martin Shaw during his Professionals days and really enjoying catching the odd episode on itv4 (although watch them with an ironic smirk these days rather than a besotted grin). Will perhaps put the remastered versions on my next Christmas list so I can re-live my youth!

I've still got all my Professionals posters and magazines up in the loft, although I think the chances of getting Martin Shaw to autograph them are slimmer than an anorexic supermodel........

Snap all though it was Lewis Collins for me, used to belong to his fan club.