Options

Are atheists the new Bible thumpers ?

Comments

• Options
    MonsterMunch99MonsterMunch99 Posts: 2,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I appreciate that there are stupid, ignorant people on both sides but how many "Religious" do you see that start threads about it? 9/10 threads on here are made by atheists to antagonise

There are plenty, and I can think of quite a few troll posters posting as believers simply to wind up atheists. Indeed, this very thread was posted to antagonise atheists, so it's swings and roundabouts really. As you say, there are idiots on both sides of the fence.
  • Options
    molliepopsmolliepops Posts: 26,828
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    That isn't remotely what I meant, as is obvious. I was speaking of people who claim that atheists are being rude and mean to religious people, if they feel that, they don't have to post on here, as none of us do, on any subject (and gave examples of where I feel that myself) and rudeness isn't confined to atheists. It clearly suits those religious people who post to post and those that don't, not to (as with many other subjects).

I was not agreeing with rudeness at all or advocating segregation. That comment was sheer nastiness. My main issue is with those who use it as a sectarian dig, disguised as observation.

You agreeing with that rather unpleasant spin and its comparison with racism also noted.
    Well I wasn't alone in reading it that way perhaps the wording could have been better ?
  • Options
    imrightokimrightok Posts: 8,492
    Forum Member
    There are plenty, and I can think of quite a few troll posters posting as believers simply to wind up atheists. Indeed, this very thread was posted to antagonise atheists, so it's swings and roundabouts really. As you say, there are idiots on both sides of the fence.

This thread was not started by a believer. And which posters pose as believers?
  • Options
    anne_666anne_666 Posts: 72,891
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    22 pages in and no sign of the OP since the thread started? mmmmm ;-) :D
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    molliepops wrote: »
    They along with everyone else have a right to their own moral codes, just because I don't agree with them doesn't mean they can't give their opinions. Carry on like that and no one will be able to dissent from the norm at the time. Thought police etc.

Why should anyone have to defend their belief ? I thought we lived in a tolerant society where all religions were allowed !

Why are you still not seeing the difference between reality and just what someone decides in the heads to be reality?

They can think whatever they wish, but if it has no grounding in reality then it's null and void. They can conduct themselves with any morals they wish to dream up but they DO NOT have any right to inflict that nonsense on others at any time.

This is typical religion it's anyway as long as we can just carry right on with our nonsense.

Religion: What is it that they just refuse to see? And more importantly why? And what help should be offered free of any charge to rectify it?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    contrarian wrote: »
    DS religion people never make a case for their belief all they seem to do is pore scorn on threads, posters and "atheists" in general

It would be great if at least one would actually defend what they say they believe in?

I demand to have your babies!

:D

But you will get the reply: 'Yes we dream up any old nonsense, irrationally think that it is real and then try and force everyone to that way of thinking. But we see no reason to back it up at all. Well in fact we have and already found that stands up like damp newspaper in a storm, and so waste everyone's time in silly little games on DS doing absolutely anything but backing up what we claim to be true.'

They can't cope with reality and so create a fantasy land and then force that onto others in every way they can. Very worrying for the health of the Nation.
  • Options
    bollywoodbollywood Posts: 67,769
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    Aggressive, provocative and negative spin and twist noted, complete with a mention of racism and in reply to a completely moderate post. Dear, dear. It really isn't just atheists who are rude and aggressive so thanks for the demonstration.

Well that's exactly what I thought the message of your post was, that these are majority atheist members so post elsewhere where you are comfortable.

I'm not the one who said that, you are, so I don't take responsibility for it.

You are the writer and the believers are the recipients.

It is hard to interpret it as reaching out to believers.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why are you still not seeing the difference between reality and just what someone decides in the heads to be reality?

They can think whatever they wish, but if it has no grounding in reality then it's null and void. They can conduct themselves with any morals they wish to dream up but they DO NOT have any right to inflict that nonsense on others at any time.

This is typical religion it's anyway as long as we can just carry right on with our nonsense.

Religion: What is it that they just refuse to see? And more importantly why? And what help should be offered free of any charge to rectify it?

I was an atheist for 48 years so please don't speak as if I am unaware of reality. I am the same person I was 4 years ago as I am now. If anything it has improved me as I am more tolerant than I was previously. And I need no rectifying the only people who need that are people who are unable to accept believers are just like them and not somehow warped.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 6,899
    Forum Member
    A crackpot idea where what someone dreams up in their head is reality and allows some of them to try and force everyone to follow that same loony ideal by influencing laws?

No obsession just a much needed need to not allow this to happen.

And why should normal people put up with it?

You clearly are a very rude person. Its like you have no regard for anyone other than yourself.

1. Believers are normal people.

2. Which believer is "forcing" people to follow that "same loony ideal"?

If any your friends were believers for example, would you be insulting him/her and telling them that they are not normal?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    A prime example of the sort of unnecessary rudeness that always derails what could be otherwise really engaging debates. Implying people of faith are abnormal is the sort of personal attacks I'd expect to be outlawed on a forum like this. Anyone with the proper maturity should be able to debate and rant about religion until their heart is content without spewing out baiting and unhelpful comments like this.

He's just a bully.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    I was an atheist for 48 years so please don't speak as if I am unaware of reality. I am the same person I was 4 years ago as I am now. If anything it has improved me as I am more tolerant than I was previously. And I need no rectifying the only people who need that are people who are unable to accept believers are just like them and not somehow warped.

No they are not like me at all. They think nonsense is real. How can you say that that is normal and an OK way to be? Especially when it leads to them trying to force that illogical, irrational, non-reality on everyone.

"I was an atheist for 48 years" What went very wrong?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    No they are not like me at all. They think nonsense is real. How can you say that that is normal and an OK way to be? Especially when it leads to them trying to force that illogical, irrational, non-reality on everyone.

"I was an atheist for 48 years" What went very wrong?

What went very wrong was I started debating religion on DS and had to look for my own answers because I didn't recognise the nastiness I saw from some of the atheists as anything I had ever felt abut religion or people with faith so well done you are pushing people to look so deeply into things they actually find they do have a faith after all.

I am more "normal" now than I was before my depression has lifted I managed to find it in myself to improve myself by losing weight and am now able to help others too.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    You clearly are a very rude person. Its like you have no regard for anyone other than yourself.

1. Believers are normal people.

2. Which believer is "forcing" people to follow that "same loony ideal"?

If any your friends were believers for example, would you be insulting him/her and telling them that they are not normal?

There you go posting rubbish as if it where fact and not providing any evidence to back it up.

"Believers are normal people" No they are people who imagine things that are not real, to be real. That is far from a normal rational thought process. (Now see, that is a fact and you just call it rude as you don't want to face any fact. You have nothing to back up what you claim or else you would have posted it. I bet your failings is also my fault as well - this utter nonsense just doesn't know when to stop!)

"Which believer is "forcing" people to follow that "same loony ideal"?" - Now see I have covered this at least a couple of time in this very thread as indeed many others have and yet this is still asked again and again. Don't you watch the news at all, ever?

But to address your first question: No I have no regard for people who can't face reality, refuse to get help and then try to argue that they are normal. I have no time for such nonsense. Their world is so irrational that they can't even see the problem.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    There you go posting rubbish as if it where fact and not providing any evidence to back it up.

"Believers are normal people" No they are people who imagine things that are not real, to be real. That is far from a normal rational thought process. (Now see, that is a fact and you just call it rude as you don't want to face any fact. You have nothing to back up what you claim or else you would have posted it. I bet your failings is also my fault as well - this utter nonsense just doesn't know when to stop!)

"Which believer is "forcing" people to follow that "same loony ideal"?" - Now see I have covered this at least a couple of time in this very thread as indeed many others have and yet this is still asked again and again. Don't you watch the news at all, ever?

But to address your first question: No I have no regard for people who can't face reality, refuse to get help and then try to argue that they are normal. I have no time for such nonsense. Their world is so irrational that they can't even see the problem.

I really do feel sorry for people who have to put up with your rudeness and ignorance outside of DS.
  • Options
    SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭
    So you don't think A-level students should study evolution because it's pointless?

EDIT: never mind, later posts answered my question.
    Why not just remove your irrelevant comment ?
    But no, a basic understanding of natural selection is not university research
    I never said that it would be
    and it would be expected before starting any biology-based university course.
    Agreed
    What do you mean by "the standard of A-levels these days"? Are they not up to scratch?
    I mean that it's common knowledge that in recent years they have been seriously dumbed down.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    What went very wrong was I started debating religion on DS and had to look for my own answers because I didn't recognise the nastiness I saw from some of the atheists as anything I had ever felt abut religion or people with faith so well done you are pushing people to look so deeply into things they actually find they do have a faith after all.

I am more "normal" now than I was before my depression has lifted I managed to find it in myself to improve myself by losing weight and am now able to help others too.

AH! We might be getting somewhere: you went looking for answers to what exactly and what were the answers you found and please supply the supporting evidence.

No? oh dear, here we go again.......................... THIS is why we never get anywhere as the religious have nothing.

" they actually find they do have a faith after all." Well I'll check down the back of the bed but I don't think I left mine there. - yet more meaningless rhetoric that only makes any sense to irrational thinkers in the first place as it doesn't to rational thinkers. "Have a faith" - "Find a faith" - try standard English not mystic meaningless soundbites. All can be replaced with "Freely chose to delude themselves by avoiding rational thinking".
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Deleted
  • Options
    Forum Member

And In which way are you normal?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    Ramo1234 wrote: »
    I really do feel sorry for people who have to put up with your rudeness and ignorance outside of DS.

If only you spent time on providing evidence to back up your bogus claims and less on avoiding addressing my post and attacking me instead.

But I do fully understand that as you have nothing of any validity to add, that is all that is left for you to do.

Tell us oh wise one: What is it that I'm ignorant of? You have supplied and backed up nothing so what is it that you feel I need to know that I don't?

Now do not address my valid point here and just scream that I'm rude without backing that up either.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    imrightok wrote: »
    And In which way are you normal?

My what an ambiguous post. Please try narrowing down a bit then an answer can be given.

But I'll have a stab at it anyway: I don't live in a fantasy land thinking that non-factual things are real. Something is or it is not, it's not decided by me. I can cope with that.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    If only you spent time on providing evidence to back up your bogus claims and less on avoiding addressing my post and attacking me instead.

But I do fully understand that as you have nothing of any validity to add, that is all that is left for you to do.

Tell us oh wise one: What is it that I'm ignorant of? You have supplied and backed up nothing so what is it that you feel I need to know that I don't?

Now do not address my valid point here and just scream that I'm rude without backing that up either.

"less on avoiding addressing my post and attacking me instead" - Oh the irony, you've been attacking everybody who disagrees with you and who believes in God. Take your own advice.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    My what an ambiguous post. Please try narrowing down a bit then an answer can be given.

But I'll have a stab at it anyway: I don't live in a fantasy land thinking that non-factual things are real. Something is or it is not, it's not decided by me. I can cope with that.

So at one time according to your definition of normal ,Britain was full of abnormal people?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    AH! We might be getting somewhere: you went looking for answers to what exactly and what were the answers you found and please supply the supporting evidence.

No? oh dear, here we go again.......................... THIS is why we never get anywhere as the religious have nothing.

" they actually find they do have a faith after all." Well I'll check down the back of the bed but I don't think I left mine there. - yet more meaningless rhetoric that only makes any sense to irrational thinkers in the first place as it doesn't to rational thinkers. "Have a faith" - "Find a faith" - try standard English not mystic meaningless soundbites. All can be replaced with "Freely chose to delude themselves by avoiding rational thinking".

I have already stated in this thread why I don't answer such questions when it becomes normal for all DS members to reveal their innermost thoughts and feelings with no one making fun of them I might join in until then it's my privacy to have my own private thoughts and experiences kept to myself. A few members do know what I have gone through over the years I shared with people I really trust. People who are rude and name call etc I tend not to reveal much to - odd that you would I am sure imagine you may be one of my trusted circle with your winning ways and lovely turn of phrase about believers.
  • Options
    Penny CrayonPenny Crayon Posts: 36,158
    Forum Member
    Goodness me.

I only peeped in for a liitle look.

There are some angry people on here aren't there? Seems to me that having 'something' in your life be it made up/imagined/fantasy or even real makes for a calmer, more reasonable and all round 'nicer' poster. Those who believe in NOTHIng seem to have a lot of spite and hate bubbling up inside them.

Seems although religion has a lot to answer for with regard to disputes and fighting throughout the world it really can't be all bad.

WOW:o
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member
    Goodness me.

I only peeped in for a liitle look.

There are some angry people on here aren't there? Seems to me that having 'something' in your life be it made up/imagined/fantasy or even real makes for a calmer, more reasonable and all round 'nicer' poster. Those who believe in NOTHIng seem to have a lot of spite and hate bubbling up inside them.

Seems although religion has a lot to answer for with regard to disputes and fighting throughout the world it really can't be all bad.

WOW:o

Pretty sure I've never come across anyone who doesn't have something in their life, or who believes in nothing.