Options

BBC iplayer not coping

paulkerpaulker Posts: 927
Forum Member
✭✭
Both i player and ITV are both having issues coping with the world cup. I have a fast fibre line and I still get buffering when watching football. If Im honest I occasionally get it watching other i player programmes but its much more frequent watching the world cup. Surely BBC etc should always have more than sufficient bandwidth to cope.
?

Are others suffering with this?

Comments

• Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Firstly the buffering may be caused by your router and wifi.

There is a lot of equipment between the multiple CDNs that the BBC uses
    And your TV PC tablet etc.... All if which has buffers and will affect the stream .

Although potentially the BBC could have problems , it dues provision a lot if bandwidth and can cope with peaks and load balancing better than most ....
    But at price .. The 2% of viewing done on line costs 12% of the BBC distribution cost .
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Im running a new macbook pro retina with an apple router on the 5ghz band. The throughput is very high. I get 37 meg on every speed test.
  • Options
    richardcdonrichardcdon Posts: 556
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ive been watching the football on iplayer and itv player and ive never had any probs im getting currently 12.5mb
  • Options
    packerbullypackerbully Posts: 2,812
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I am on a 8mb connection and had no issues with iPlayer for world cup.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    All very strange. Im not saying it happens often as it only buffers a few times during the whole game but it seems to do it more at key times. The streaming quality also suffers at these times.

I don't have any issue whatsoever with Netflix. The quality of Netflix is great and never wavers. Sky go is great most of the time but again its seems to be popular football matches that suffer. Im on Sky Fibre so maybe its sky servers that are an issue.
  • Options
    technologisttechnologist Posts: 13,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    paulker wrote: »
    Im running a new macbook pro retina with an apple router on the 5ghz band. The throughput is very high. I get 37 meg on every speed test.

But does this measure the difference in latency between adjacent packets ?

What does the BBC or you ISP,have to say ?