Options

Why is the weakest link still being shown?

computermastercomputermaster Posts: 4,019
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Surely i can't be the only one wondering why this abomination of a program is still on our screens. The contestants hardly win any money and that ginger tart being nasty to everyone got old more than five years ago. Surely they can find someting better than this rubbish.

Comments

• Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree.

This and Deal or no Deal are well past their sell by dates
  • Options
    LoonLoon Posts: 3,282
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Agree.

This and Deal or no Deal are well past their sell by dates

With you on TWL but leave DOND alone! Tis sacred!
  • Options
    BirthdayGirlBirthdayGirl Posts: 64,286
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Loon wrote: »
    With you on TWL but leave DOND alone! Tis sacred!

Hmmm...:p
  • Options
    Glenn AGlenn A Posts: 23,877
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Lazy scheduling, same as DOND is on way too much. The BBC surely could think of something else in this slot.
  • Options
    SillyBillyGoatSillyBillyGoat Posts: 22,266
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it :)

As for "that ginger tart being nasty" - you sound FAR worse than her ;) Do you have proof that she's a tart, hmm?

It's an act and part of the show, the contestants know what to expect.
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I love it :)

As for "that ginger tart being nasty" - you sound FAR worse than her ;) Do you have proof that she's a tart, hmm?

It's an act and part of the show, the contestants know what to expect.

Whenever I have seen or read interviews with people who have appeared on the programme they all say how nice she was with them off screen, some people cannot recognise when someone is playing a part (I bet there are plenty who appear really nice on screen but who are real #######s off camera!).

What are the viewing figures, if people watch and like the programme then why take it off?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 611
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    My grandparents still watch this daily. I honestly have no idea how. It 'got old' about 8 years ago!
  • Options
    mountymounty Posts: 19,155
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I agree the Weakest Link's format and Robo's nasty routine are well and truly past it

The show has already been axed in the US, Germany and Australia. Time to ditch it here and bring in something new please beeb!
  • Options
    billlythekidbilllythekid Posts: 5,080
    Forum Member
    I like a bit of Weakest Link whilst having dinner i like answering the questions its a tiresome format i agree but at the moment its the only quiz show on TV at tea time:)
  • Options
    zoepaulpennyzoepaulpenny Posts: 15,951
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    lost interest in this game many years ago, it's like bread stale very stale..
  • Options
    North DownsNorth Downs Posts: 2,471
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mounty wrote: »
    I agree the Weakest Link's format and Robo's nasty routine are well and truly past it

The show has already been axed in the US, Germany and Australia. Time to ditch it here and bring in something new please beeb!

Well past it's sell by date. Does anyone know how long it's beeen on, seems like forever.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 315
    Forum Member
    I enjoy it because of the large number of questions to answer. Far better than the shows which have one question every five minutes and spend all the remaining time artificially building up suspense.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Surely i can't be the only one wondering why this abomination of a program is still on our screens. The contestants hardly win any money and that ginger tart being nasty to everyone got old more than five years ago. Surely they can find someting better than this rubbish.

Because it still gets good ratings despite the show being in repeats for nearly half the year.

If people stoped watching then it would be axed.
    IN the last year only The Chase managed to get close to it and even then The Weakest link was in its 3rd month of constant repeats.
    It handly beats Alan Titchmarsh, The Hairy Bakers, Come Dine with me and Neighbours.

mounty wrote: »

Those were primetime versions not daytime.
  • Options
    jake lylejake lyle Posts: 6,146
    Forum Member
    Little man wrote: »
    I enjoy it because of the large number of questions to answer.

Agreed, I think thats its main appeal.
  • Options
    shaggy_xshaggy_x Posts: 3,599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Didnt Anne present the USA version of the Weakest Link? I think the first season was well talked about over there because of her act, but did she achieve any 'long lasting fame' in the USA as a result ? I always hated the 'school teacher' role and black costume she wore/wears on the show. Her 'act' for some strange reason remind me of a bondage session with her being 'the man' . Uncomfortable thought and for which reason I can't watch the show for more than 5 mins at a time.
  • Options
    davrosdodebirddavrosdodebird Posts: 8,692
    Forum Member
    I can see how the format is stale, but The Weakest link is addictive viewing for me, most of all because I like answering the questions. However, my viewership of Deal has wavered recently. It is a far more interesting game when they do one of their Theme Weeks :)
  • Options
    DavetheScotDavetheScot Posts: 16,623
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    jake lyle wrote: »
    Because it still gets good ratings despite the show being in repeats for nearly half the year.

That's what it comes down to, I guess. I like it anyway, and since due to it's timeslot I only catch it when I'm off work, it doesn't matter to me if it's repeats a lot of the time.
  • Options
    epsomepsom Posts: 4,684
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The OP is a prart. Guess I can say that as he started the name calling! He has a problem with his spelling as well!
  • Options
    VennegoorVennegoor Posts: 14,648
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    epsom wrote: »
    The OP is a prart. Guess I can say that as he started the name calling! He has a problem with his spelling as well!

Oh the irony! :D

I've got sick of this show too, but really would be more favourable towards it if it wasn't so bloody long. Lop 15 minutes off each episode and they'd be fine.
  • Options
    elnombreelnombre Posts: 3,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    As long as people still watch them, they'll keep showing them regardless of how low the quality. Call it 'Simpsons syndrome'.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 12,395
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Agree with the OP. The show like Anne's act got tired a long, long time ago.
  • Options
    shrekshrek Posts: 835
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Horrible program hosted by a horrible person

It was past its best years ago. I try and avoid watching it but always get the last few minutes when I turn over for BBC news
  • Options
    performingmonkperformingmonk Posts: 20,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's cheap to produce and gets viewers. So, as far as the BBC are concerned, the reasons to axe it total absolute zero!

Last of the Summer Wine lasted so long for similar reasons. The last few years it got more expensive to make (due to insurance of older actors, cost of location shooting etc.) so, what do you know, it gets the chop...

The BBC are more likely to axe 99% of it's other programming than touch The Weakest Link.
  • Options
    dudiusdudius Posts: 469
    Forum Member
    I only watch the last 5 minutes now (before turning over to Eggheads), but I agree it needs something doing.
    I've long been in favour of ditching the voting aspect, and simply getting rid of the "true" weakest link each round.
    Would make for a much better, and consistent, quiz programme ...
  • Options
    vampirekvampirek Posts: 4,022
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's cheap to produce and gets viewers. So, as far as the BBC are concerned, the reasons to axe it total absolute zero!

Last of the Summer Wine lasted so long for similar reasons. The last few years it got more expensive to make (due to insurance of older actors, cost of location shooting etc.) so, what do you know, it gets the chop...

The BBC are more likely to axe 99% of it's other programming than touch The Weakest Link.

...and hence the reason The Weakest Link replaced Neighbours. BBC were spot on with that judgment it seems. Keeping the cheap option with a better audience and opting out of the overpriced, near death Neighbours.