Options

Hollyoaks general discussion (Part 15)

SupportSupport Posts: 70,835
Administrator
ameew wrote: »
I thought the Kane family was brilliant last night and Martha is one of my favorite characters now. Nice to see a more mature character being used.

I agree that SLs are too drawn out. Lost interest in Walker,Ally and who killed Lynsey now.

Scott and Annalise's break up was far too rushed.

I'm keeping an open mind about a posible Rhys/Cindy affair. At least four of the best characters/actors would be used and I always preferred Tony/Jacqui to Jacqui/Rhys.
    Admin Notice: This thread is a continuation of: http://forums.digitalspy.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1679175

Comments

• Options
      dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
      Forum Member
      Storylines seems to be rushed nowadays that or padded out & dragging on. :( No happy medium.

It wasn't that long ago that Ste was going to stop Amy leaving with the kids. This time around he's not going to stop her???

:confused: How many are actually his? I always get confused.
    • Options
      lulu glulu g Posts: 52,649
      Forum Member
      dee123 wrote: »
      Storylines seems to be rushed nowadays that or padded out & dragging on. :( No happy medium.

It wasn't that long ago that Ste was going to stop Amy leaving with the kids. This time around he's not going to stop her???

:confused: How many are actually his? I always get confused.
      He is only Lucas's biological father, but he's acted like a father to both.
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 217
      Forum Member
      I always try and find the good in Hollyoaks, i try not to complain about it too much because for the majority of the time, i enjoy what they do. But i am genuinely in the mindset at the moment that if i miss an episode, then oh well.

Brendan (IMO) is a shadow of his former self. He was amazing last year, especially through the Ste storyline and when he was taking on Silas. Now, he's just paling in comparison. I like Walker with him but then im genuinely confused by that relationship. I might have missed an episode or two that explained it but why has Walker gone from being sneaky towards Brendan, to kissing him, back to being sneaky, to helping him and then being sneaky?

I personally, and i hope i dont get flamed for this, was pleased that Lynsey left when she did because she was just beginning to irritate me. I loved her exit; it shocked me completely but i feel like what has come after has been terrible. I get that they wanted to maybe give the Savage's something meatier but having Will as the main suspect has fallen flat completely, judging by the reactions on here and on other sites. He/Texas/Ash and Dodger just couldnt carry the storyline.

Ally is confusing me as well. I dont trust him and whilst im normally all for mysterious characters, they seem to not know what they are doing with him. He's gone from being as interesting as a plank of wood to having this "woman helping" take on life, but obviously has a dark secret because of when he paid that stripper to keep his secret. I wouldnt mind his character if they were revealing little things about him here and there but to have him going from detesting Will to believing him 100% because Ash says he is innocent is just odd to me.

Why they continue to feature all of the teens i will never know. I have to admit, i enjoyed this years Abersoch week, and i finally found a moment in time where Maddie didnt irritate me. They have a couple of teens that could be interesting. Keep Maddie/Esther/George/Sinead/Bart and Ruby, get rid of Neil, Jono and Tilly and show them as singular characters that dont rely on Maddie to give them storylines. Oh and please, keep Phoebe, Lacey and Callum away from that group!

Im loving the Kane's though. I have found them all to be convincing, i feel sorry for them and i think that Martha has been a brilliant addition to the show. I genuinely care what happens to them and it is nice to see them working as a family unit to get over her alcoholism. No massive dramatic twists, just pure character development.

I dont even want to comment on Amy's exit. I think its such a shame that someone who has been there for that long and featured in one of the shows most remembered storylines has such a low key exit.

And if Cindy and Rhys have an affair, i think i may have to stop watching for a short while. I like both characters but what purpose does it serve to have Rhys cheating on Jaqui after everything they went through? It serves no purpose at all.

RANT OVER, i feel better haha.
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 955
      Forum Member
      ✭✭
      Without meaning to sound too negative, I do believe that HO is in serious trouble, and could potentially be axed next year. It will definitely get through 2012, but if it continues in the same way next year, then it could be the end, as people will just stop watching altogether. Kind of similar to how Brookside ended really. HO hasn't been going as long as Brookie, but it has aired more episodes (Brookie never had 5 episodes a week). I think what might happen is that ES will be replaced, and if nothing on the show changes to keep people watching, then it'll probably be axed then
    • Options
      dee123dee123 Posts: 46,271
      Forum Member
      lulu g wrote: »
      He is only Lucas's biological father, but he's acted like a father to both.

:) Thanks.
    • Options
      LittleGirlOf7LittleGirlOf7 Posts: 9,344
      Forum Member
      I'd agree that there is an issue with pacing in Hollyoaks. A battle to align separate storylines so they reach certain points is always the biggest headache - and often where they have to compromise - on any soap. With Hollyoaks they've given themselves the extra pressure of insisting on weekly block storylining and hitting Fridays as dramatic end points. They're mixing formats as that only really works with set part dramas rather than rolling dramas like a soap. As a result, the screen time given to some storylines is compressed and consentrated while still stretched out too thin. Loads of action then too much silence. To make it even harder they also have Hollyoaks Later, which is separate from the main show but at the same time completely tied to it through the storyline. It's all extra work but not quite being applied efficiantly as there's no opportunity to step back and restart the momentum from scratch.

Despite the above being an underlying problem for the show, the content itself is still of a pretty good standard. There's good acting, there's good writing, there're good uses of camerawork, music and editing styles within the episodes.

Actual enjoyment of the show is dependant on your own expectations. It was amusing to read people almost exploding in dispair about how unrealistic Silas' escape from the hospital was. Yet everyone loved him talking to Lynsey's ghost in the mortuary without even a murmer of, 'That would never happen in real life! Tut!' :p
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,859
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      HO do seem to be all over the place atm. Some SLs have too much secrecy about them. Which is all very well for a while but both Walker and Ally are an enigma that change in every episode.

Talking of change, they have changed too many characters from being bitchy to nice (Ruby) from villian to vulnerable (Brendan) from lad about town to uncaring casanova (Riley) from straight to gay (Doug). Most of the remaining cast are hardly seen at all apart from the ever present McQueens.

There are so many SLs that need to be concluded for the sake of justice and our sanity (Especially Mercedes and Mitzeee. Somehow I can't see Mercedes paying for what she has done as she is such a big character in the show)

Couples get together off screen, others get together on screen and then are mostly ignored in their relationships.

HO don't seem to be able to find a happy medium with the length of the SLs. It just gives the impression that they come up with an idea and go with it and rush the writing to create more drama, or drag it out.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      I'd agree that there is an issue with pacing in Hollyoaks. A battle to align separate storylines so they reach certain points is always the biggest headache - and often where they have to compromise - on any soap. With Hollyoaks they've given themselves the extra pressure of insisting on weekly block storylining and hitting Fridays as dramatic end points. They're mixing formats as that only really works with set part dramas rather than rolling dramas like a soap. As a result, the screen time given to some storylines is compressed and consentrated while still stretched out too thin. Loads of action then too much silence. To make it even harder they also have Hollyoaks Later, which is separate from the main show but at the same time completely tied to it through the storyline. It's all extra work but not quite being applied efficiantly as there's no opportunity to step back and restart the momentum from scratch.

Despite the above being an underlying problem for the show, the content itself is still of a pretty good standard. There's good acting, there's good writing, there're good uses of camerawork, music and editing styles within the episodes.

Actual enjoyment of the show is dependant on your own expectations. It was amusing to read people almost exploding in dispair about how unrealistic Silas' escape from the hospital was. Yet everyone loved him talking to Lynsey's ghost in the mortuary without even a murmer of, 'That would never happen in real life! Tut!' :p
      BIB - There were murmurs.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      BIB - There were murmurs.

I obviously missed them. I saw general good reception for the 'ghost' Lynsey scene. My point was more that artistic licence within the show is accepted sometimes but not always.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      I obviously missed them. I saw general good reception for the 'ghost' Lynsey scene. My point was more that artistic licence within the show is accepted sometimes but not always.
      Yes, that's true. Then again, it's to be expected that people might be prepared to allow a degree of artistic licence, but not without limit.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      Yes, that's true. Then again, it's to be expected that people might be prepared to allow a degree of artistic licence, but not without limit.

That's funnily what I find to be the juxtaposition, though (< a shameless excuse to use the word 'juxtapostion').

Minor strays from reality - how Silas was allowed to escape from hospital and get to Texas - recieve a stream of derision, while wild running into pure fantasy - Lynsey's ghost talking to Silas - are accepted more readily in the context of it being a TV show.

Take the special christmas episode with Doug at the end of last year. The biggest issue that most people seemed to have was that he had a christmas dinner so soon after attempting suicide. That Steph returned in the form of an angel and told him how he could find the song she recorded for Frankie didnt apparently hit the 'reality' nerve as much.

While I'm on it, I think there's a difference between attempting suicide and seriously thinking about it doing it. As far as I can tell, Doug didn't actually jump from the bridge so technically did not 'attempt' suicide. Doug went to the bridge and sat on the rail, but beyond that point the episode was a fantasy bubble separate from the main show. On the occasions he's mentioned it - to Ste and Lynsey - he's only spoken about being on the bridge, but nothing about actually jumping. He seriously thought about doing it but didn't go through with an actual attempt.
    • Options
      cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
      Forum Member
      While I'm on it, I think there's a difference between attempting suicide and seriously thinking about it doing it. As far as I can tell, Doug didn't actually jump from the bridge so technically did not 'attempt' suicide. Doug went to the bridge and sat on the rail, but beyond that point the episode was a fantasy bubble separate from the main show. On the occasions he's mentioned it - to Ste and Lynsey - he's only spoken about being on the bridge, but nothing about actually jumping. He seriously thought about doing it but didn't go through with an actual attempt.

He did jump. He was pulled out and revived by paramedics.
    • Options
      Forum Member

That was within the 'bubble'. Everything beyond the point of him sitting on the rail to the end of the episode didn't actually happen.
    • Options
      surfiesurfie Posts: 5,754
      Forum Member
      npd6900 wrote: »
      Without meaning to sound too negative, I do believe that HO is in serious trouble, and could potentially be axed next year. It will definitely get through 2012, but if it continues in the same way next year, then it could be the end, as people will just stop watching altogether. Kind of similar to how Brookside ended really. HO hasn't been going as long as Brookie, but it has aired more episodes (Brookie never had 5 episodes a week). I think what might happen is that ES will be replaced, and if nothing on the show changes to keep people watching, then it'll probably be axed then

Part of Hollyoaks problems is the quick turn around of series producers., each with their own ideas. Also there is the amount of time needed to turn things around under that person if they are appointed. Even then what's the assurance the new person would work out.
    • Options
      Bluebird69Bluebird69 Posts: 5,570
      Forum Member
      That was within the 'bubble'. Everything beyond the point of him sitting on the rail to the end of the episode didn't actually happen.

Surely Doug did actually jump? :confused: I was pretty convinced that it happened.
      I thought the fantasy 'bubble' of Angel Steph's appearance, the alternative reality, etc, was what happened while he was in the between-life-and-death stage and being revived by the paramedics?
    • Options
      LemonadeManLemonadeMan Posts: 81,710
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭

No, he jumped, the 'bubble' happened, ended, then he was revived and ran through the village, soaking wet, and invited everyone to dinner.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      If anyone from the BB thread is passing by, can someone explain to me why Brendan fans are so incensed at the news that he's going to be featuring in a two-hander?

Your favourite character (presumably?) featuring in every scene of the episode? Isn't that a good thing? :confused:

It is for me, anyway, as I think Brendan awesome (and Emmett Scanlan a wonderful actor) and I think it's fantastic news! :D:D:D

(ps I am being a bit tongue-in-cheek, no need to explain the reason for your annoyance ;) )
    • Options
      Forum Member
      Bluebird69 wrote: »
      Surely Doug did actually jump? :confused: I was pretty convinced that it happened.
      I thought the fantasy 'bubble' of Angel Steph's appearance, the alternative reality, etc, was what happened while he was in the between-life-and-death stage and being revived by the paramedics?
      No, he jumped, the 'bubble' happened, ended, then he was revived and ran through the village, soaking wet, and invited everyone to dinner.

When he's talked about it since, he's only ever said about going to and being on the bridge. He's never spoken about actually jumping or being rescued and revived.

My understanding is that, bar the beginning, the episode was separate from the 'reality' of the storyline.
    • Options
      vkmaxvkmax Posts: 3,093
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      I'm a bit peeved that Amy is so willingly just going to move away after one small drunk embarrassment after the big show over her moving away with the kids last year.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      When he's talked about it since, he's only ever said about going to and being on the bridge. He's never spoken about actually jumping or being rescued and revived.

My understanding is that, bar the beginning, the episode was separate from the 'reality' of the storyline.

He may not have spoken of it to anyone (because it was a self-contained episode, and it doesn't appear to be important in HOs world that any of his friends knew what he was going through). But we saw what happened onscreen clearly enough, so - it happened! :p
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 110
      Forum Member
      A spoiler I saw in a soap mag, not the most interesting storyline but I'm happy about it :D
      Meanwhile....There is chemistry between Sinead and Callum.

Like I said not the most interesting but I can pray they split Sinead and Bart up, I dislike Bart and prefer Sinead away from him, will make her more bearable :p
    • Options
      enudzioenudzio Posts: 2,932
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      does anyone else think that once Ruby returns she will get together with Neill?
    • Options
      cyrilandshirleycyrilandshirley Posts: 48,569
      Forum Member

Thanks LemonadeMan. I was starting to wonder if I'd been watching the same programme. The guy definitely jumped.
    • Options
      [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,859
      Forum Member
      ✭✭✭
      vkmax wrote: »
      I'm a bit peeved that Amy is so willingly just going to move away after one small drunk embarrassment after the big show over her moving away with the kids last year.

I can't blame Ashley if she chose to leave, she has had hardly any time on screen. I imagine that with her relationship with Ally she expected more air time.

The writers had to come up with something quickly as they have done with Scott. At least they are leaving the door open.
    • Options
      Forum Member
      Back to the whole ribboned bullet thing. Rightly pointed out in the previous thread (can't bring the quote over), the person who left it for Cheryl would have to know she's staying at Tony and Cindy's flat rather than at her place at No.2.

I think Walker put it there to keep up the idea that Sampson murdered Lynsey and is threatening Cheryl. I don't think Walker killed Lynsey and think he knows it wasn't Sampson either but he seems very keen to have Brendan think it is. Why, though, we'll have to wait and see.
      The deli gets vandalised next week after apparently being left unlocked by Leanne as the door isn't broken into. But there's a suggestion it isn't as it seems. Maybe it's to give the impression Ste is in danger because of his connection to Brendan.

Bluebird69 wrote: »
      He may not have spoken of it to anyone (because it was a self-contained episode, and it doesn't appear to be important in HOs world that any of his friends knew what he was going through). But we saw what happened onscreen clearly enough, so - it happened! :p

So who rescued him? :p

Ok, if it's confirmed he jumped I'll take it like a real woman and concede I was wrong. :)
    This discussion has been closed.