Options

Programs that have been pulled for legal reasons

Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
Forum Member
✭✭
Can we think of ten programs that have been pulled for legal reasons?
(ignoring "+1 channels" that simply don't have the rights)

Comments

• Options
    Eater SundaeEater Sundae Posts: 10,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Wasn't TW3 taken off air in the lead up to the general election in the early 60s (63?)
  • Options
    ElanorElanor Posts: 13,326
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Keiō Line wrote: »

I'm confused. What does that mean?
  • Options
    Archie DukeArchie Duke Posts: 1,610
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There are a few examples of programmes being made but not shown due to taste issues.

The War Game [1965 ] was thought too gruesome, and Brimstone and Treacle was pulled after BBC execs. thought a man having sex with a girl in a coma was a bit gross.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 279
    Forum Member
    That Keith Lemon documentary on Michael Carroll was delayed a long time because of his court case.
  • Options
    Wallasey SaintWallasey Saint Posts: 7,627
    Forum Member
    Elanor wrote: »
    I'm confused. What does that mean?

Broadcaster who has lost the rights to broadcast a programme.

Not cancelled but The Apprentice series 6 was delayed from it's usual Febuary-May slot because of the General Election, because of Lord Sugar ties for the then Labour Government.
  • Options
    A.D.PA.D.P Posts: 10,383
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Going back some time there was a repeat of a Mike Yarwood show in the schedules, a sudden deflection was called and it couldn't be shown.

Then at 10 pm as the pools closed they showed it, as the show we couldn't show and that led up to the overnight election show.
  • Options
    RandysbackRandysback Posts: 3,404
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    An episode of silent witness was pulled because it had similarities to the Rochdale grooming gangs.
  • Options
    Tony_BrooksTony_Brooks Posts: 485
    Forum Member
    No idea whether it is for legal reasons or not but it isn't uncommon for a scheduled programme not to be shown but a different one is. A very recent celebrity Mastermind for example.
  • Options
    chemical2009bchemical2009b Posts: 5,250
    Forum Member
    It took two or three years for a Never Mind The Buzzcocks featuring Russell Brand to be shown due to Sachsgate.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    It took two or three years for a Never Mind The Buzzcocks featuring Russell Brand to be shown due to Sachsgate.

The delay wasn't anywhere near enough, Buzzcocks isn't funny and Brand is nothing
  • Options
    IzzySIzzyS Posts: 11,045
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    That documentary about a council estate in/near Glasgow (The Estate or some such?) was pulled for a few months over a legal issue with one of the people featured in it.
  • Options
    Jason CJason C Posts: 31,336
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The obvious one I can think of was the Charles Ingram edition of Millionaire, although clips were of course shown in the edition of Tonight which revealed the full story.

Wasn't there also an edition of Deal Or No Deal that got pulled due to some problem with the contestant? I seem to recall people mentioning that somebody just disappeared from the wings without any explanation.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    IzzyS wrote: »
    That documentary about a council estate in/near Glasgow (The Estate or some such?) was pulled for a few months over a legal issue with one of the people featured in it.

Surely not! Pulled by the rozzers?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Can we think of ten programs that have been pulled for legal reasons?

ITV+1 shows being pulled for Legal reasons.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,043
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »
    The obvious one I can think of was the Charles Ingram edition of Millionaire, although clips were of course shown in the edition of Tonight which revealed the full story.

I didnt mind what Charles did. That guy who kept talking who kept saying dont you dare was a tad annoying.
  • Options
    Mr Master XMr Master X Posts: 746
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Jason C wrote: »

Wasn't there also an edition of Deal Or No Deal that got pulled due to some problem with the contestant? I seem to recall people mentioning that somebody just disappeared from the wings without any explanation.

LOL That's weird. Still thought that episode were the contestants wife just fainted was strange too. Of course, they had to skip time and it killed any illusion of the show being live/continuous show with no takes.

^Speaking of Noel gone wrong, I can always remember an episode of Noel's Saturday show (House Party?) and that were the kid asks questions or whatever about how much the parents know about them and vice -versa and all the kid did was talk potty mouth to them (words I probably can't post here) and the dad was a right aggressive git and it was almost like a fight was going to break out. In the end they just had to take them off. Now THAT was live.
  • Options
    bryemycazbryemycaz Posts: 11,738
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Mind the Baby Mr Bean was pulled as it was to be shown on the weekend that James Bulger went missing. Then after the subsequent events, it was shown a year later.

Same with the Bottom Episode S'Out that was due to be shown in 1992 but after the murder of Rachel Nickell on Wimbeldon Common (where the episode was set). It was actually released on BBC Video with the rest of series 2 first. The finally shown on TV in 1995.
  • Options
    TootlesTheTaxiTootlesTheTaxi Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    There's an episode of Judge John Deed that can never be repeated due to biased and inaccurate information about the MMR jab. I think it's available on DVD though.
    There was also an episode of 15 to 1 never shown because a contestant couldn't be shown for legal reasons. S/He won and reached the grand final which they edited him/her out of, but the normal episode was replaced by the episode where Bill McKaig got the perfect score.
  • Options
    Sweet7Sweet7 Posts: 599
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    The Simpsons episode 'The City of New York vs. Homer Simpson' was pulled in the UK for a good number of years after the September 11 attacks. I believe only Sky aired it and Channel 4/BBC are yet to do so.
  • Options
    Jack_ClintonJack_Clinton Posts: 2,495
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There was an ITV programme called Torn about a missing child being reunited with his family after 10 years.

ITV nearly did not show following Madeline McCann's disappearance.
  • Options
    degsyhufcdegsyhufc Posts: 59,251
    Forum Member
    That's not really for legal reasons though. It's just the broadcaster's perogative.

Wasn't the panorama or newsnight pulled because of legal reasons during Savile/McAlpine stuff?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    There was also an episode of 15 to 1 never shown because a contestant couldn't be shown for legal reasons. S/He won and reached the grand final which they edited him/her out of, but the normal episode was replaced by the episode where Bill McKaig got the perfect score.

WHAT?????

Surely not.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    was there a panorama progtram that could not be show in the NE because of an election?

I think it was even pulled in Scotland because it could have been picked up in the area
  • Options
    TootlesTheTaxiTootlesTheTaxi Posts: 219
    Forum Member
    WHAT?????

Surely not.

I think I may have worded that wrong. The mystery contestant didn't win the grand final, just their own episode and reached the final. There's a bit of information about how the grand final was edited here. http://web.archive.org/web/20041220140358/http://www.quizplayers.com/quizplayers/fifteen_to_one/series_29_gf.html
  • Options
    Fred E StarFred E Star Posts: 1,693
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Happy as Larry!
    IzzyS wrote: »