CONFIRMED - Emmerdales Val Pollard HIV story (Spoilers)

Mr Alex TMr Alex T Posts: 154
Forum Member
[news]- Emmerdale: Chris Chittell on Val's HIV test result, Eric fallout
- Val and Eric get their HIV test results
- Val faces another difficult day[/news]

What a brave move by the writers of this show, in shock!

Mark Fowler and Malachy Fisher from Eastenders and Hollyoaks are the only other soaps to have given this to a long term character as far as I know!

Anyone genuinely shocked?

Comments

• HavingALaughHavingALaugh Posts: 442
    Forum Member
    Yeah, didn't think they would do this
  • sorrentosorrento Posts: 1,857
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Surprise.surprise...I wouldn't have expected anything else.
  • EastEnders2014EastEnders2014 Posts: 99
    Forum Member
    Its great of them to do this. As the writer said. The world has moved on since Mark Fowler had it.
  • norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,672
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the socking huge great spoiler in the thread title!
  • Joline44Joline44 Posts: 939
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    What the hell! Spoiler much?? >:(
  • brbbrb Posts: 27,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Whilst I'm happy that Emmerdale are tackling an issue like this - especially with an older lady, I HATE their decision to give this SL to Val. It just doesn't suite the character and it really will impact a great, great character :(
  • thejoyof_patthejoyof_pat Posts: 30,699
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Spoiling it! you *******!! >:(>:(
  • HoffmisterHoffmister Posts: 11,998
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I was looking forward to watching the story unravel..but well...um
  • Mr Alex TMr Alex T Posts: 154
    Forum Member
    Sorry DS and users. I didn't realise there was an interview about it and I was aware it was public knowledge now after the interview by the Eric Pollard actor...

However there is no need for swearing or name calling is there? No matter how important you think you are to break the rules.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 55
    Forum Member
    Not been watching Emmers for quite a while but this has caught my interest, how did it all come about?
    Forum Member
    helkays wrote: »
    Not been watching Emmers for quite a while but this has caught my interest, how did it all come about?

Eric and Val Pollard had split up after problems deciding over Amy Wyatt and Kyle future.

She left them both to go to Spain with her son Paul Lambert. She had a fling with Ian.

Much later in time (now) he came saying he had contracted HIV and that his wife would only take him back if he confessed to Val she may have it.

Val has spent weeks avoiding a test and has refused to tell her husband Eric, their marriage is falling apart. So Eric sleeps with Diane Sugden (Val's sister) and now they all think they have it. Diane has lied to the GP and has taken medicine to top HIV even though she doesn't know if she actually has it. This could have serious consequences.

Val will soon take the test and discover she has it... Eric doesn't, meaning Diane doesn't either.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Alex T wrote: »
    Sorry DS and users. I didn't realise there was an interview about it and I was aware it was public knowledge now after the interview by the Eric Pollard actor...

However there is no need for swearing or name calling is there? No matter how important you think you are to break the rules.

I apologise for what I said and upsetting you but in my defence it's really part of my character to be very expressive with my language. If you've ever been to the west coast of Scotland you'd understand :) and sometimes I do forget that I should hold back with people.
    Forum Member
    I apologise for what I said and upsetting you but in my defence it's really part of my character to be very expressive with my language. If you've ever been to the west coast of Scotland you'd understand :) and sometimes I do forget that I should hold back with people.

I didn't want an apology. I'm not going to make a issue out of it I was just saying. DS have already edited my thread anyway so I presume this thread was ok to stay where it was.

Again I am sorry for ruining peoples viewing.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mr Alex T wrote: »
    I didn't want an apology. I'm not going to make a issue out of it I was just saying. DS have already edited my thread anyway so I presume this thread was ok to stay where it was.

Again I am sorry for ruining peoples viewing.

Alright.
  • AuntieSoapAuntieSoap Posts: 2,074
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Ruined the impact of the diagnosis for me. Thanks!
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,163
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I'm pleased for Val, she needed something to take her mind off Amy.

So in that respect, this has come along at just the right time for her.
  • narobi83narobi83 Posts: 425
    Forum Member
    I know soaps have artistic licence but would they be able to give Eric the all clear at this point? I thought it had to be 3 months since last contact before you could be tested. I realise dragging it out wouldn't be very interesting but I'd have liked to see him worry over his result and how he's cope needing to wait.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm pleased for Val, she needed something to take her mind off Amy.

So in that respect, this has come along at just the right time for her.

:D:D:D:D

I love a silver lining me. :kitty:
  • elliecatelliecat Posts: 9,890
    Forum Member
    The title should have been in Spoilers. I don't read Spoilers for Emmerdale or interviews and it has just been ruined for me.
  • vaslav37vaslav37 Posts: 69,447
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I hope the show gets it facts straight about HIV- it is not a disease that kills anymore, people can live normal lives these days especially here in the West.
  • OldnjadedOldnjaded Posts: 89,126
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    vaslav37 wrote: »
    I hope the show gets it facts straight about HIV- it is not a disease that kills anymore, people can live normal lives these days especially here in the West.

I imagine it will go the same way as David Platt's epilepsy - once the drama of the reveal is over, they'll give her drugs to control it and it'll will never be mentioned again.:D
  • Daisy LoooDaisy Looo Posts: 80
    Forum Member
    Thanks for the spoiler!!!!!
  • Aura101Aura101 Posts: 8,327
    Forum Member
    Its a story about HIV, not some sensationalist whodunnit, and people were whining about spoilers like their life has come to a miserable end.
    You'll get over it .
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,359
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could potentially be an extremely powerful story line. Poor Val.