Options

The Prime Minister's assertion that Britain is a Christian country

contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Dave reckons this is a Christian country:confused:

"More than 50 writers, scientists, broadcasters and academics have signed an open letter expressing concern at the 'negative consequences' of the Prime Minister's assertion in a country where most people do not describe themselves as Christian.
Signatories of the letter, published in The Daily Telegraph, include the authors Philip Pullman and Sir Terry Pratchett; broadcasters Dan Snow and Nick Ross, the philosopher AC Grayling; and the human rights activist Peter Tatchell.
It follows the article last week for the Church Times by Mr Cameron - who in the past has been reluctant to discuss religious matters - in which he wrote of his own faith and his desire to infuse politics with Christian ideals and values"

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2609213/The-Prime-Ministers-assertion-Britain-Christian-country-risks-dividing-society-claim-50-liberals-including-Sir-Terry-Pratchett-Dan-Snow.html#ixzz2zVeR2Y76

Comments

• Options
    cantoscantos Posts: 7,368
    Forum Member
    We are a Christian based Soceity, but not a Christian country.
  • Options
    The WizardThe Wizard Posts: 11,071
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Personally I think politics and heads of state should stay out of religion altogether.

If it wasn't for mixing politics and religion we wouldn't have stupid trading laws on Sundays and religious holidays. Not everyone is religious and wants dictating to what they can and can't do because of Christian beliefs.
  • Options
    Jesse PinkmanJesse Pinkman Posts: 5,794
    Forum Member
    MPs as with anyone else are free (and always should be in a democracy) to put forward any point they like; but of course they will be expected to back up that point and religion is no different to anything else.

So what is needed is to fast track away from this idea that religion is exempt from all and any questioning and if found to be lacking, dismissed as an invalid argument.

I freely choose to think that blue elephants fly around my rose bushes and that is why gay people should not be allowed to marry and that I should be allowed to change the law to force everyone to my way of thinking. ;rolleyes;
  • Options
    annette kurtenannette kurten Posts: 39,543
    Forum Member
    should anyone that blind and deaf be running a country?
  • Options
    contrariancontrarian Posts: 1,475
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I wonder if the average vicar, priest or minister with a congregation of around 5% of the town/village that they work in would agree?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 8,916
    Forum Member
    If he thinks that the UK is a Christian country, then perhaps the government should re-evaluate their welfare reforms.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Didncha just know this news would end up on DS?
    Please remember Dave's adoring supporters are blue-rinse old ladies trying to follow the hymns and keep their teeth in.
  • Options
    droogiefretdroogiefret Posts: 24,117
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    He obviously thinks it's a vote catcher, else he wouldn't be saying it. There's something reassuring about it to many people I am sure. Imagine the effect if he said the opposite - that we are not a Christian country.
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Britain is historically a Christian country so in that respect he's right, but currently we most certainly aren't and I think politicians should strive to keep their religion out of politics.
  • Options
    Hayley_babyHayley_baby Posts: 15,825
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its definitely more secular but if you ask some people they do say its a christian country.
  • Options
    FizixFizix Posts: 16,932
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Well culturally we are. We just aren't particularly religious in this country, but that doesn't mean that as a country that particular religion doesn't have some kind of significance. I say this as someone who is not at all religious.
  • Options
    CravenHavenCravenHaven Posts: 13,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    He probably means it's a christian country as opposed to a muslim country. Trying to associate himself with the nationalistic bandwagon without having the balls to ride inside it, so to speak.
  • Options
    James FrederickJames Frederick Posts: 53,184
    Forum Member
    He probably means it's a christian country as opposed to a muslim country. Trying to associate himself with the nationalistic bandwagon without having the balls to ride inside it, so to speak.

On that though how many of the people who bang on about how we are a Christian Country and not a Muslim one are regular Church goers and follow the Bible?
  • Options
    Keiō LineKeiō Line Posts: 12,979
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

I don't think he is. There is definitely anti secularist agenda within the all the main parties.
  • Options
    batgirlbatgirl Posts: 42,248
    Forum Member
    I think he's trying to win back the votes lost to gay marriage.
  • Options
    kimindexkimindex Posts: 68,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I think he might be trying to appease potential UKIP voters.
  • Options
    3Sheets2TheWind3Sheets2TheWind Posts: 3,028
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I would say it is something along those lines.

I doubt that David Cameron is naïve enough to think that churches were full yesterday (or would be on any Sunday), but he also knows that a lot of the multicultural stuff makes a quite a few people feel uncomfortable.

This is just a way of trying to counteract some of that.
  • Options
    fleabeefleabee Posts: 1,852
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It's a Christian Country as far as I am concerned. *Sitting here on my EASTER hols*
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    kimindex wrote: »
    I think he might be trying to reassure potential UKIP voters.

Too late!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    fleabee wrote: »
    It's a Christian Country as far as I am concerned. *Sitting here on my EASTER hols*

But it's still the Easter holidays whether you're religious or not because that's what were told and religious laws dictate when people can work and when we can go shopping and when we should all take a holiday etc.

I bet the majority of people in this country only bother to uphold Christian beliefs because they give people the most time off work. Take away Christmas and Easter holidays and I bet the majority of people wouldn't bother with religion.
  • Options
    getzlsgetzls Posts: 4,007
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We are a Christian Country but not everyone is a Christian.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    getzls wrote: »
    We are a Christian Country but not everyone is a Christian.

How do you define a "Christian country"?
  • Options
    jackthomjackthom Posts: 6,640
    Forum Member

Naaah! Today is Moonday which convinces me this is a Pagan Country.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    ,,,,and on THURSDAY do we all become Norse?

(beaten to it by jackthom)
  • Options
    TheSilentFezTheSilentFez Posts: 11,103
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Oh dear. Just had a look at the comments on the DM article. Seems many people disagree with a lot of the sentiments on this thread....quite vehemently.
    "Never heard of these three jokers, but how did the one with the knighthood get his knighthood"