When will BT, Sky and others turn off their ADSL service?

joshua_welbyjoshua_welby Posts: 9,027
Forum Member
Like the title when will BT, Sky and others turn off their ADSL service and just concentrate on fibre?

Comments

• CELT1987CELT1987 Posts: 12,358
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Won't happen for a long while. ADSL is still used by a lot of people.
  • mac2708mac2708 Posts: 3,349
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It could be quite some time yet.
    There are over 1,000 exchanges still at the "under evaluation" stage for fibre.
    Not everyone wants/is concerned about/wants to pay for fibre.

Although I can get 'up to' 76Mb a village only a mile away can get only just over 1Mb
  • Richard_TRichard_T Posts: 5,166
    Forum Member
    When will adsl be turned off? there are still a handful of people still on dial up.
  • CricketbladeCricketblade Posts: 2,218
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not until 100% of people can get Fiber speeds by whatever means. A long time and amount of money yet
  • noise747noise747 Posts: 30,843
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some people will not change to FTTC even if it is available. I know someone who is on talk Talk simply broadband. about £3 a month, they get a pretty decent speed of around 12Mb/s, they see no need to spend another tenner a month to get more speed that they don't use.

I expect there are a fair few people who thinks the same.

So if they want to force people onto FTTC and close down ADSL, they would need to lower the price. If i was closer to the exchange, I may have stayed on ADSL. Not really bothered about this 30Mb/s thing to be honest, I just wanted something a bit more stable and a little faster for netflix.

Also FTTC is not everywhere, we still got parts of the city that have not been connected..

As someone else said, some people are still on dial up.
  • eyponeypon Posts: 345
    Forum Member
    2025 maybe ?

depends if theres money to replace the service or not.
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    Technically FTTC is a nightmare in that way too. Even the biggest type of fibre cabinet can only support 288.

Once it is full they have to add another fibre cabinet! There are some normal cabinets that have 1000 customers connected to them, you'd need 4 fibre cabinets next to it. What a joke!

So they need to find a better way, this won't work as a complete replacement for ADSL2
  • CaxtonCaxton Posts: 28,881
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    noise747 wrote: »
    Some people will not change to FTTC even if it is available. I know someone who is on talk Talk simply broadband. about £3 a month, they get a pretty decent speed of around 12Mb/s, they see no need to spend another tenner a month to get more speed that they don't use.

I expect there are a fair few people who thinks the same.

So if they want to force people onto FTTC and close down ADSL, they would need to lower the price. If i was closer to the exchange, I may have stayed on ADSL. Not really bothered about this 30Mb/s thing to be honest, I just wanted something a bit more stable and a little faster for netflix.

Also FTTC is not everywhere, we still got parts of the city that have not been connected..

As someone else said, some people are still on dial up.

Quite so. I am with BT and fed by conventional cables, I get around 15.5 mbps download and 1 mbps upload and in no hurry to get fibre even if it was available to me.
  • mersey70mersey70 Posts: 5,049
    Forum Member
    Caxton wrote: »
    Quite so. I am with BT and fed by conventional cables, I get around 15.5 mbps download and 1 mbps upload and in no hurry to get fibre even if it was available to me.

Indeed, our current (Sky) broadband service more than covers our needs at the moment so there's no incentive for us to switch to fibre, not while there's such a huge differential in price (£7.50 compared to £20 a month).

I'm sure in time we'll move to fibre but don't anticipate doing so anytime soon.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Caxton wrote: »
    mersey70 wrote: »
    Indeed, our current (Sky) broadband service more than covers our needs at the moment so there's no incentive for us to switch to fibre, not while there's such a huge differential in price (£7.50 compared to £20 a month).

I'm sure in time we'll move to fibre but don't anticipate doing so anytime soon.

I get 10Mb/s downlaod, and just under 2 upload, getting fibre would save me a little bit of money each month, but only if I went with Talk Talk, the others would be a bit more. but my reasons for staying with my provider is no doubt different to most peoples.
  • mrMickmrMick Posts: 1,437
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    When fibre access is as universal as ADSL currently is, and they stop selling ADSL services. So quite some time off yet then.
  • IcaraaIcaraa Posts: 6,068
    Forum Member
    mrMick wrote: »
    When fibre access is as universal as ADSL currently is, and they stop selling ADSL services. So quite some time off yet then.

And when they sort out the issues I've mentioned in my post too.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mrMick wrote: »

I think I will be a old man by then. They may start it in areas which have got fibre based broadband, turning of the ADSL, but then they would have to do something about the cost.
    One way would be to reduce the speed for people who don't want to pay the higher price.
  • seanfseanf Posts: 3,092
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Like the title when will BT, Sky and others turn off their ADSL service and just concentrate on fibre?

when fibre becomes as common and as necessary as broadband was when people stopped using dial-up.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    seanf wrote: »
    when fibre becomes as common and as necessary as broadband was when people stopped using dial-up.

and some people are still using dial up
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    and some people are still using dial up

The last figures I saw from 2012 or 2013 showed 1% of households on dial up and the numbers falling. With the upgrade of the 3g networks and now 4g there should be no real need for dial up.
  • gillyallangillyallan Posts: 31,722
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I get 20 / 1 on adsl and feel everything is fast enough. No reason for me to give them more money.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    neo_wales wrote: »
    The last figures I saw from 2012 or 2013 showed 1% of households on dial up and the numbers falling. With the upgrade of the 3g networks and now 4g there should be no real need for dial up.

Unless there is no other way. the one household i know of that uses dial up do so because that is all they can get. they are lucky if they get a mobile signal at all where they live never mind 3G and i can't see 4G coming here for a while never mind where they are.

I thought the service i have got would expand there, but they seemed to have stopped, which is a shame. There is some talk about Government funded Fibre based broadband,, but to be honest I can't see that happening. so yes they do need dial up, not that they use it that much.

The other household I know that uses dial up does so because of their choice, they only use it for emails and have been doing so for years, I had to find another provider as Bt stopped doing dial up. I do think now that with Talk Talk offering ADSL so cheaply they should think about doing that. they could then use skype to talk to their son, daughter-in-law and their grand kids. I should them how skype worked on my mobile phone once and allowed them to see video of their grandkids. the look on their faces.
    So I think When I am next on Holiday from work I will have a discussion with them.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »
    I get 20 / 1 on adsl and feel everything is fast enough. No reason for me to give them more money.

That is it if it does the job you want then fine. A mate of mine thinks the same and he is a gamer. He said the only time he would go for Fibre based broadband is if the price came down to ADSL level or pretty close to it.

I get about 10Mb/s with the service I have got and it is enough to be honest, but I do get what people have said that I am paying more for my service than I would if I went for a certain provider Fibre product. All the others would cost me slightly more.
    but it is not just about cost, it is about freedom as well, no filters or blocking on the provider I use.
  • 1andrew11andrew1 Posts: 4,088
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    . I do think now that with Talk Talk offering ADSL so cheaply they should think about doing that...So I think When I am next on Holiday from work I will have a discussion with them.
    You are becoming one of TalkTalk's top recommenders. If you continue, their CEO Dido Harding may have to pop by and shake your hand and your photo will be on their website. :)
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »
    You are becoming one of TalkTalk's top recommenders. If you continue, their CEO Dido Harding may have to pop by and shake your hand and your photo will be on their website. :)

it is scary, I hate the company, but I can see where it may come in useful. there is no way these people are going to pay £10,£15, £20 a month for broadband, but TT is only just over £3 a month, they can pay that and if they pay for their line rental yearly it will be less than what they are paying now.

They could do what I have done, but the cost of installation is far too much for them, they would save money if they stayed on the 5Mb/s package, get rid of home phone and get a VoIP. but they would have no phone for emergency if the had no power.

So Tallk Talk would be the cheapest and where they live, they should at least get a good 10Mb/s which will work with Skype.

They already got a pretty decent laptop, their son sent them the money to buy one last year, they got a desktop, but it is getting old, we had to replace the modem on it not so long ago. We got a USB one for the laptop, i can not believe how small they are now.

I am not so blind after all like some people seem to think i am.
  • simon194simon194 Posts: 1,888
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the service i have got would expand there, but they seemed to have stopped, which is a shame. There is some talk about Government funded Fibre based broadband,, but to be honest I can't see that happening. so yes they do need dial up, not that they use it that much.

The BDUK projects should guarantee everyone has a minimum of 2 Mbps by 2017(?) so dial-up will disappear completely eventually.
  • neo_walesneo_wales Posts: 13,625
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1andrew1 wrote: »

He does change his views from time to time, recently he said he only needed a 500gb drive, I said get a 2TB as they are cheap, "NO" he said but guess what...he got a 2TB. He hated tablets, slagged them off for months then went and got one, same with his smartphone.

I suspect his talk talk attitude is changing because his mates and a friend are getting good service and he's laying the foundations for his move to TT FTTC :D It is the logical move the the chap.
  • The SackThe Sack Posts: 10,410
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gillyallan wrote: »

1 up would do my head in, i appreciate the faster upload of FTTC than the download to be honest.
  • mooxmoox Posts: 18,880
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Probably never. I understand that if 21CN fully takes hold and handles the PSTN as planned, there'd be no real need to turn off ADSL while copper phone lines are in use, as the exchange equipment can handle ADSL and phone in one box (like Sky and TalkTalk already do it) so the cost savings would be minimal.

There was even talk at one time of a "broadband dialtone" where the service would be automatically active on every phone line, you could just plug in a modem and sign up to a provider - no physical work required (except to move to equipment owned by someone else, like Sky/TalkTalk)

That said, BT are in the process of decommissioning their oldest ADSL network where 21CN equipment has been installed in the exchange - as the point of 21CN was to save costs by shutting down older networks. They can still offer ADSL and ADSL2+ on the 21CN of course.

I guess the only way ADSL will go away is if they roll out fibre to the cabinet / premises to everyone, and to ensure that there is enough capacity to take current and future demand.