Options

Failed or Forgotten Drama Series

Comments

• Options
    puppetangelpuppetangel Posts: 2,892
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Duty free - remember the conga episode - but thats technically a comedy.

House of Elliot was good.

Peak Practice - with the original cast.

Ballykissangel - before the 2 leads left.
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,920
    Forum Member
    Monarch of the Glen. I know it only finished a few years ago but I still really miss it :o Although it was never quite as good when Archie, Lexie and Duncan left.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Anyone else remember a series called Harry, starring the late Michael Elphick? It was launched in Autumn 1993, and scheduled on Saturday nights straight after Casualty, but got dismal ratings.

I remember the BBC getting their knickers in a twist about how badly it was doing, and going into promotion overdrive; they even resorted to 'credits squeeze' at the end of Casualty to remind viewers that Harry was on next - the first time I can remember credit squeeze being used on a terrestrial channel.

Harry survived for one more series in 1994, but was moved to the less conspicuous Wednesday 9.30 slot.
  • Options
    FizzbinFizzbin Posts: 36,827
    Forum Member
    Another BBC drama that vanished was 'Moon and Son'. Only lasted a year yet was heavily promoted at the time.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 89
    Forum Member
    Does anyone remember Bob and Rose? It was on ITV I think and it had Alan Davies and Leslie Sharp in it.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,557
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MAKING OUT - great stuff - DVD PLEASE!!!!!

WIDOWS/SHES OUT "Oh My God It's Dolly"

CATS EYES/GENTLE TOUCH - Jill Gascigone with big hair and Leslie Ash before she turned into a money grabbing silly bint

SECRET ARMY - used to fancy the blonde one
    WISH ME LUCK - used to fancy then actor who played Luc

PROSPECTS with the late Gary Olsen - funny seeing the Isle of Dog then and now

MAELSTROEM - Norweigan drama with the dolls!!! This used to scare the cr-ap out of me even now on DVD!!
  • Options
    Oblido2007Oblido2007 Posts: 1,470
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're not thinking of 'Carry On Cabby' are you ? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carry_On_Cabby

Nope I wasn't thinking of 'Carry On Cabby'.

Here was what I was thinking of, and it was called 'Rides'...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rides_%28TV_series%29
  • Options
    ProVistaProVista Posts: 1,152
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Boys from the Bush: a series about a British expat in Melbourne, his Australian business partner, his nephew who was over from Britain, and his bratty daughter.

Snap! I have very fond memories of this show and I am fairly sure it was never repeated.

My other favourite was a BBC dramatisation of Gormanghast. I have it on video and I watch it from time to time, it is very bizarre and I am not totally sure what the heck is going on, but every now and again I feel the need to rewatch it.
  • Options
    Chisato GeesteChisato Geeste Posts: 20,654
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Down To Earth. The first few series anyway before all the original characters left.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,667
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Some of my favourites of days gone by:

Sunburn

I loved the first few series of Sunburn but I found myself not too keen on the latter episodes.
  • Options
    Say_It_LoudSay_It_Loud Posts: 6,283
    Forum Member
    Making Waves

Lavish ITV drama set aboard a Royal Navy frigate (HMS Suffolk). The series flopped, and the plug was pulled, so to speak, after just 3 episodes during 2004.

Does anyone know if the 3 cancelled episodes have ever been shown?
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,303
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There wa a show on years ago, an American series I think that was on late night on ITV and it was called Yellowthread Street. That was awesome...

Party Animals... Should never have been axed...

I would've said Love Soup, but bang is suddenly appeared again.
  • Options
    FM LoverFM Lover Posts: 50,839
    Forum Member

WIDOWS/SHES OUT "Oh My God It's Dolly"

CATS EYES/GENTLE TOUCH - Jill Gascigone with big hair and Leslie Ash before she turned into a money grabbing silly bint

I loved Widows and the follow up, I even have to admit going out and buying Gerard Kenny's Hits CD to get the theme tune to Widows II which was called "No Man's Land"

As For CATS Eyes. Loved that too, especially Leslie Ash in her XR3 !
  • Options
    Jay_1983Jay_1983 Posts: 1,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The Shed drama 'Bombshell' with Zoe Lucker was fantastic. It was never shown in the UK, unfortunately, but was released (for some reason) in Australia straight to DVD.

It's actually really good, on par with the earlier series of Bad Girls.

I can't understand why ITV have never shown this. There must be a reason.

As for forgotten drama series, I really liked The Lakes on BBC1 some years back.
  • Options
    Toby LatimerToby Latimer Posts: 4,095
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oblido2007 wrote: »
    Nope I wasn't thinking of 'Carry On Cabby'.

Here was what I was thinking of, and it was called 'Rides'...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rides_%28TV_series%29
    Well done for finding it , it's one that passed me by.
  • Options
    nick202nick202 Posts: 9,919
    Forum Member
    Jay_1983 wrote: »
    I can't understand why ITV have never shown this. There must be a reason.

As for forgotten drama series, I really liked The Lakes on BBC1 some years back.
    The Lakes is currently being repeated on ITV3 on Wednesdays at 9pm.
  • Options
    horsepillshorsepills Posts: 512
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Spender, featuring Jimmy Nail!

and

The Paradise Club, starring Leslie Grantham!
  • Options
    SecretLifeoBeesSecretLifeoBees Posts: 50,920
    Forum Member
    Down To Earth. The first few series anyway before all the original characters left.

I gave up on it once Pauline Quirke left, can't stand Angela Griffin so didn't bother watching it anymore.

That reminds me Cutting It was quite popular back in the day.
  • Options
    norbitonitenorbitonite Posts: 8,678
    Forum Member
    A Horseman Riding By and To Serve Them All My Days.

Both Sunday evening serials and both, I think, adaptations of books (Horseman certainly was).
  • Options
    AneechikAneechik Posts: 20,208
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Tinsel Town

It was a drama series on BBC Choice and BBC2 in 2001 about clubbers and ran for two series. They only ever showed the second series on BBC Choice though, and never released more than the first series on video and neither on DVD. It's largely unknown, which is a shame as it was one of the most daring shows ever made by the BBC.
  • Options
    Agent KrycekAgent Krycek Posts: 39,269
    Forum Member
    Totem_Bern wrote: »
    There wa a show on years ago, an American series I think that was on late night on ITV and it was called Yellowthread Street. That was awesome...

I think Yellowthread Street was British, but set in Hong Kong, seem to remember a McGann brother being in it
  • Options
    mb@2daymb@2day Posts: 10,788
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Failed - Hold the Front Page , local rag nonsense/fun with David Warner.

Long forgotten. Gangsters , so so series made from a brilliant play.

Did it ever exist ?, ITV drama series about the Miners Strike . Can't find any reference to it and doubt the whole series was aired.
  • Options
    revolver44revolver44 Posts: 22,766
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Sine On Harvey Moon

Dick Turpin
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 33,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mortimer's Law (1998) BBC crime/drama

Rachel Mortimer (Amanda Root), a clever, successful London barrister avails herself of the opportunity to travel to Wales to defend a case. There she again meets the local coroner Pugh (Windsor Davies), her old friend and mentor who taught her the law many years previously. Unknown to her Pugh is near death and secretly wants her to take over his job and tries very subtley to persuade her. In court Rachel wins her case and destroys the career of constable Gwil Humphries (Nicholas McGaughey) in the process. Many weeks later when Rachel returns to Wales for Pugh's funeral she applies for the vacant coroner's job and is accepted. Pugh left his house and housekeeper Mrs. Morgan (Gwenyth Petty) to Rachel in his will and Gwil, in an attempt to rebuild his shattered career, becomes her coroner's officer.

Was a great series and won a Bafta for best original music too. Was filmed in my area in the mid wales but character accents had south wales accent..... only 6 episodes - had great potential I though.
  • Options
    SloopySloopy Posts: 65,209
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    FM Lover wrote: »
    Bugs & Crime Traveller were both OK IMHO.
    Both good Saturday night entertainment shows relyig on former soap stars for actors in the shape of
    Michael French, Craig McLachlan, Jayne ? & Jessie ?

Can't recall their surnames.

Bugs was a brilliant series.

The final episodes did go a bit silly though, and then Craig McLachlan left.

Crime Traveller got quite a bit of stick but I thought it wasn't bad at all!!