Person of Interest - UK Premiere - Starts 14th August 10pm Channel 5 [NO SPOILERS]

Comments

• mickmarsmickmars Posts: 7,438
    Forum Member
    The premise sounded interesting, but this is total crap. I've had enough already.

same here...fizzled out rather quickly for me
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 7,488
    Forum Member
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Breaking Bad is the best drama since The Wire, it is slow-paced but ramps up the drama towards the end of each season (a bit like Dexter) and the acting is brilliant.

It's a bit more realistic than the likes of Person of interest and Homeland.

I'd probably enjoy it if I stuck with it, but the first two episodes are average, and the clips I've seen of other episodes weren't exactly amazing.

I don't really care about realism. if I wanted realism I'd be watching documentaries or some forms of reality TV instead of drama. (Also, how many chemistry teachers do you know have become a drug dealer/producer to help pay for their cancer treatment and to fund their families future?)
  • SquiggleSquiggle Posts: 2,547
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    doom&gloom wrote: »
    Breaking Bad is the best drama since The Wire, it is slow-paced but ramps up the drama towards the end of each season (a bit like Dexter) and the acting is brilliant.

It's a bit more realistic than the likes of Person of interest and Homeland.

Breaking Bad a bit more realistic? Wow! :eek: You really do like it. :p
  • simonnsimonn Posts: 536
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Underwhelmed would be my verdict. Had high hopes, a friend has seen the whole of the first series and says it's brilliant, plus I like Michael Emerson/JJ Abrams from Lost. I think the two things that I didn't like were (a) no time to breathe, just straight in there, but seemed VERY rushed and (b) it seems like it's going to be self contained episodes with perhaps a secondary story arc. If I want brilliant wrapped up in 40/60 minutes TV I'll rewatch Spooks! Also, seems like they're may only be two recurring characters (apart from bodyguards), and that's a bit thin for me, unless they're brilliantly fleshed out and portrayed. So three things then...still, will watch next week, and see if it can hook me, certainly hasn't yet.
  • WSAGWSAG Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    Bit of a clunky opener, but given how quickly shows get pulled these days its no wonder they try to cram as much in a pilot as possible. Certainly improved towards the end and will give then ext few eps a try.

Did like the "just a man in a suit" line though.....
  • BigOrangeBigOrange Posts: 59,672
    Forum Member
    If you missed it last night, there's repeats on 5USA at the following times: Tonight 10pm, Friday 11.10pm, Sunday 5pm.

Or you can watch whenever here: http://www.channel5.com/shows/person-of-interest/episodes/episode-1-458
  • StansfieldStansfield Posts: 6,097
    Forum Member
    colinb wrote: »
    I stuck with this despite finding the dialogue between the 2 central characters a bit odd at first, was hooked by ep 10 and watched the 2nd half of the season in 3 days. Can't wait for S2 :D
    If I'm not hooked by episode 3, I'm out.

For me, an OK start....But I hope Jim Caviezel lightens up a bit.

Shades of the The Equalizer, I thought, watching this too.

And pleased Natalie Zea was BAD...was hoping she would be in it more.
  • StrakerStraker Posts: 79,653
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It’s just Burn Notice or Human Target with a few extra bells and whistles. Watchable without being in any way memorable or special. I’m surprised Caviezel signed on for this.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member
    I've seen all of this show and definitely think it's worth sticking with. When I watched the first episode I remember thinking it was a bit too serious for my tastes but the 1x02 an 1x03 are better - and once the characters settle in they're good together. Like Stansfield, I was hooked by 1x10 but was already enjoying it to a lesser extent before then.
    Forum Member
    Straker wrote: »
    It’s just Burn Notice or Human Target with a few extra bells and whistles. Watchable without being in any way memorable or special. I’m surprised Caviezel signed on for this.
    Just look at the list of producing credits, enough to make pretty much any actor, sign up before they've even heard the premise...
    • Jonathan Nolan (co-writer of The Dark Knight, created the short story upon which Momento was based)
    • JJ Abrams (co-creator/exec producer of Lost, Fringe, Director of Star Trek (2009), Cloverfield, Misssion: Impossible 3, Super8)
    • Bryan Burk (producer of Star Trek (2009), Cloverfield, Super8)
    • Richard J Lewis (co-executive producer of CSI)
    • Stephen Semel (assistant editor of Apocalypse Now and Back To The Future)
  • lea27lea27 Posts: 11,426
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Never heard of Breaking Bad? Any good? Has it been shown in the UK already?
    Forum Member
    lea27 wrote: »

The first two series were shown, but due to poor ratings it was dropped. (Don't bring it up, apparently C5 violated human ratings when it bombed and they stripped it before not picking up the third, fourth or fifth series). You can watch it on Netflix and DVD though...
  • MoreTearsMoreTears Posts: 7,025
    Forum Member
    lea27 wrote: »

It is the best show on TV. The first two seasons aired in the UK, but it never attracted a large enough British audience for subsequent seasons to be bought given the price the production company sells the show for. UK fans either download, watch the DVD's, or watch on Netflix.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just look at the list of producing credits, enough to make pretty much any actor, sign up before they've even heard the premise...

Those names might look pretty in the credits but it’s the scripts where the show will live or die. This was so pedestrian, so seen-it-all before which is why I’m surprised that Caviezil thought it was worth committing himself to the grind of making 23 episodes a year for several years if it continues.

It seems Five has learned nothing from the debacle of FlashForward where they bombard you with hype, trails, IPPs, stings and ads only to reveal the actual show and for it to turn out to be a bit “meh”....
    Forum Member
    Those names might look pretty in the credits but it’s the scripts where the show will live or die. This was so pedestrian, so seen-it-all before which is why I’m surprised that Caviezil thought it was worth committing himself to the grind of making 23 episodes a year for several years if it continues.

It seems Five has learned nothing from the debacle of FlashForward where they bombard you with hype, trails, IPPs, stings and ads only to reveal the actual show and for it to turn out to be a bit “meh”....

I agree with you that Person Of Interest isn't much more than "watchable," but there is no call to compare it to FlashForward, a risky, high-concept show canned after one season. As a procedural, POI is quite "safe" and is practically guaranteed a long run. Channel 5's interest makes complete sense, since they like the US procedurals like the CSI's, the Law & Order's and The Mentalist. Those types of shows are Channel 5's bread and butter.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 95
    Forum Member

Comparing it to "FlashForward" is unfair and inaccurate. "Person of Interest" was the biggest (and most watched - with consistently high ratings) new show of the 2011-2012 season in the US. I'm surprised it took as long as it did to end up on UK TV.

If anything they might have learned from "FlashForward" and waited to see how successful things are in the US before buying them.

It makes sense that Five would advertise "Person of Interest" a lot as I imagine they paid a lot of money for it. And they're probably pleased they got the show and no-one else did.
    Forum Member
    Channel 5 learnt from FlashForward. You'll notice they held off on making acquisitions this year until they were proven to be successful and practically garunteed a second season. The only new show C5 brought this year before it aired in the US was Dallas, but that was a big name short series that wouldn't have really mattered if it bombed.
  • Mickey_TMickey_T Posts: 4,962
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Watched it and found it a bit 'meh'. It just rushed headlong into the guy getting this new 'job' but I'm hoping there might be some more background in future episodes.

It's on earlier at 9pm next week so I'll carry on watching and see if it holds my interest for a few episodes.
  • TWSTWS Posts: 9,307
    Forum Member
    Mickey_T wrote: »
    Watched it and found it a bit 'meh'. It just rushed headlong into the guy getting this new 'job' but I'm hoping there might be some more background in future episodes.

It's on earlier at 9pm next week so I'll carry on watching and see if it holds my interest for a few episodes.

yeah you start learning a lot of background its quite enjoyable imo takes a few eps to get into it though
    Forum Member
    Mickey_T wrote: »

His background won't be dealt with for a while. It pretty well takes the full season to get a picture of what his life used to be like.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Just Tracy wrote: »
    Comparing it to "FlashForward" is unfair and inaccurate. "Person of Interest" was the biggest (and most watched - with consistently high ratings) new show of the 2011-2012 season in the US. I'm surprised it took as long as it did to end up on UK TV.

If anything they might have learned from "FlashForward" and waited to see how successful things are in the US before buying them.

It makes sense that Five would advertise "Person of Interest" a lot as I imagine they paid a lot of money for it. And they're probably pleased they got the show and no-one else did.

MoreTears wrote: »
    I agree with you that Person Of Interest isn't much more than "watchable," but there is no call to compare it to FlashForward, a risky, high-concept show canned after one season. As a procedural, POI is quite "safe" and is practically guaranteed a long run. Channel 5's interest makes complete sense, since they like the US procedurals like the CSI's, the Law & Order's and The Mentalist. Those types of shows are Channel 5's bread and butter.

Please pay more attention - I wasn’t comparing the content of POI to FF, merely the way Five bombards the viewer with hype when the shows themselves are not worthy of it. They over-market the thing to the point where the viewer is sick of it before it’s begun. Some shows can stand up to this - The Walking Dead for example which is consistently excellent and worthy of being advertised as widely as possible but with average shows like POI and the abysmal FF the marketing just creates hopelessly high expectations that the shows themselves cannot meet. Viewers are instantly disappointed that it’s not groundbreaking, incredibly original programming and as a result judge it more harshly than they would had the marketing been less aggressive. That’s what I mean by Five not having learned the lessons of FF.
  • Doghouse RileyDoghouse Riley Posts: 32,491
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I think this is "a series to far" for me.

Of American TV series, I'll watch, Cold Case"(but only the really "old" cases), Finder, Fairly Legal, Castle, Body of Proof and Prime Suspect.

They've got to be "believable" particularly the action scenes and this wasn't. Nor was the premise of detecting future crimes by social security numbers.
  • zwixxxzwixxx Posts: 10,295
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    They've got to be "believable" particularly the action scenes and this wasn't. Nor was the premise of detecting future crimes by social security numbers.

imho it's worth sticking around to see what is really going on.
    Forum Member
    Please pay more attention - I wasn’t comparing the content of POI to FF, merely the way Five bombards the viewer with hype when the shows themselves are not worthy of it. They over-market the thing to the point where the viewer is sick of it before it’s begun. Some shows can stand up to this - The Walking Dead for example which is consistently excellent and worthy of being advertised as widely as possible but with average shows like POI and the abysmal FF the marketing just creates hopelessly high expectations that the shows themselves cannot meet. Viewers are instantly disappointed that it’s not groundbreaking, incredibly original programming and as a result judge it more harshly than they would had the marketing been less aggressive. That’s what I mean by Five not having learned the lessons of FF.

You're judging a 50 episode TV serious based on 42 minutes. I don't really think that's fair.

And I rather enjoyed FF, until it was cancelled, so your comment about viewers being disappointed with the show is an inaccurate assessment.

Also, C5 are a business, they earn more money when more people watch, do you honestly expect them not to try their hardest to attract viewers? That's batshit crazy and you know it. A word of advice, when your business rests on popularity, you can never have enough marketing...
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    You're judging a 50 episode TV serious based on 42 minutes. I don't really think that's fair.

I was right about FF after only seeing the first ep. Had “cancellation” written all over it from the start. Point to me.
    And I rather enjoyed FF, until it was cancelled, so your comment about viewers being disappointed with the show is an inaccurate assessment.

You’re right....It wasn’t just viewers - EVERYBODY was disappointed with FF. A quote from Joseph “Showkiller” Fiennes’ mum: “It was shit and he was shit in it”. :D
    Also, C5 are a business, they earn more money when more people watch, do you honestly expect them not to try their hardest to attract viewers? That's batshit crazy and you know it. A word of advice, when your business rests on popularity, you can never have enough marketing...

Rilly? Case in point, CSI season finale last night. Bear in mind that POI directly followed on from it but still the hype machine was in overdrive: Five logo had been turned into a promo with Caviezel against a big “5” logo, there were trails in all the ad breaks and just in case you weren’t sick of it already there were IPPs overlaid onto CSI including one right at the end onto the tense climax of the episode ruining the final scenes (a horrible practice Five have imported from the States to really nail home the contempt they have for the viewer). And just to underline how stupid they think viewers are it was also trailed at the end of the ep as well.

So yeah, there is such a thing as too much ****ing marketing.... :rolleyes: