Samsung Galaxy Ace 2

TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
Forum Member
✭✭✭
Hi, anyone vouch for this handset?

Paid £160 sim free and not got it yet, but it's for someone who's not bothered about a powerful phone but wanted a good camera, could screen, and HD video recording.

Was it worth it?!

Comments

• kidspudkidspud Posts: 18,341
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    TheVoid wrote: »

Paid £160 sim free and not got it yet, but it's for someone who's not bothered about a powerful phone but wanted a good camera, could screen, and HD video recording.

Was it worth it?!

Cannot comment on the price, but for a low cost handset it is not bad. Been using one since last November and have been fairly happy with it.

I don't know if I would recommend upgrading it to jelly bean. I did mine and it felt like a backward step (in speed of the phone) and didn't really bring any benefit that I felt was worth it. Others say the JB update has worked well on their phone.

Get an SD card as inboard storage is small.

As an all round phone, I'd give it about 3/5.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,889
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I own one & they're ok but was not aware they shot HD video but then I don't use phones for camera or video I'm an internet man. Be aware there is no zoom function. Buy nice enough phone, but still a bit pricey like most mid range phones
  • TheVoidTheVoid Posts: 3,086
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I own one & they're ok but was not aware they shot HD video but then I don't use phones for camera or video I'm an internet man. Be aware there is no zoom function. Buy nice enough phone, but still a bit pricey like most mid range phones

Yeah it has 1280x720 (720p HD) (30 fps).

You can get it cheaper but not unlocked.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I have this phone. It's a decent all round phone but there's no zoom on the camera so watch out for that if you take photos on it. I didn't know about that when I bought the phone. It's my first smartphone and it does what I want to do and does it fairly well. Angry Birds plays well on it :p I have a 32GB SD card in it and you really need one.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I have this phone. It's a decent all round phone but there's no zoom on the camera so watch out for that if you take photos on it. I didn't know about that when I bought the phone. It's my first smartphone and it does what I want to do and does it fairly well. Angry Birds plays well on it :p I have a 32GB SD card in it and you really need one.

I'm guessing you could get an app to add this feature?
  • jezzerjezzer Posts: 705
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Its not the phone that has zoom its the software,Where are you getting it from? Mine is from carphone warehouse shipped with jeallybean no problems with it,And as its got jeallybean the camera function has zoom in it. Gingerbread didn't come with a zoom function.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    jezzer wrote: »
    Its not the phone that has zoom its the software,Where are you getting it from? Mine is from carphone warehouse shipped with jeallybean no problems with it,And as its got jeallybean the camera function has zoom in it. Gingerbread didn't come with a zoom function.

Getting it from Amazon so think it comes with Gingerbread.

Was going to update it to Jellybean, but apparently it runs really slow and laggy with JB installed?

How do you zoom? Via the volume controls?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Hi

Yes to zoom you use the volume keys a slider appears saying x4.

Jeallybean is fine but like i said it came out of the box with it,There has been a update for it to make apps etc run more smoother.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Hi

Yes to zoom you use the volume keys a slider appears saying x4.

Jeallybean is fine but like i said it came out of the box with it,There has been a update for it to make apps etc run more smoother.

Ah right. Suprised it came out the box like that. Did you then have an over the air update?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes the update came out maybe a month ago and it was over the air.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,379
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Was it worth it?!

I paid £140 for a mint used s3 mini! I would have shopped around if I were you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I paid £140 for a mint used s3 mini! I would have shopped around if I were you.

Wanted brand new so that there was a warrenty.
  • cnbcwatchercnbcwatcher Posts: 56,681
    Forum Member
    I'm guessing you could get an app to add this feature?

Maybe you can, but I never looked into it.

Maybe it works better if it comes with the OS installed out of the box rather than upgrading it from an older version. It's the same with a Mac or Windows PC. A new machine with a clean install of the latest version of OSX or Windows seems to work better than one that was upgraded from an older version to a new version. I've noticed that before.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Yes i agree with you cnbcwatcher i think if it comes with jeallybean the phone runs better than if you are doing the upgrade yourself.