Options

1Direction Fans - Are Union J Better Than 1Direction

13»

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,143
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Except One Direction have never been an 'original creation' boybands like them have been and gone years before they were even around.

And I don't see how UJ are cloning them but D3 aren't, it's D3 who cover their songs, quote their lyrics on twitter and who coped 1D doing the inbetweeners dance plus they all dress similar with similar haircuts/style. What's different about D3? They can play the guitar? Because so can 1D and UJ.

This. One Direction are just a modern Backstreet Boys or N'sync with less catchy songs (imo).

I do like them but I tire of people calling them "original" and slagging off every other boy band for "copying" them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 30,169
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mmeister2 wrote: »
    This. One Direction are just a modern Backstreet Boys or N'sync with less catchy songs (imo).

except the Backstreet Boys and N'sync could also dance

1D are more like Boyzone formed more for their looks than vocal/dancing talent
  • Options
    String9String9 Posts: 12,508
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Except One Direction have never been an 'original creation' boybands like them have been and gone years before they were even around.

And I don't see how UJ are cloning them but D3 aren't, it's D3 who cover their songs, quote their lyrics on twitter and who coped 1D doing the inbetweeners dance plus they all dress similar with similar haircuts/style. What's different about D3? They can play the guitar? Because so can 1D and UJ.

But then, the one who supposedly looks like Harry Styles was included to make them look more like 1D.

Yes there were boybands like 1D, but imo in the 60s and 70s. Their unique selling point is the fact that they're British/irish and they embrace everything British. They haven't gone for the 90s boyband (Backstreet boys, Nsync, 5ive NKOTB) sound and style.

The theme for the first album Up All Night was about 5 college preppies, while the new album celebrates being british, the 5 red london phone boxes are now part of their set design.

It would be interesting to see what UJ come up with, because at this moment, I don't get it. They do have their work cut out for them, considering how successful 1D have become in such a short period. Most artists can only dream of ending the year with a sold out concert at Madison Square Garden.:cool:
  • Options
    commentcomment Posts: 920
    Forum Member
    ✭✭

Covering a One Direction song doesn't make them more similar. All Time Low and McFly have covered Rihanna's Umbrella, does that make them similar to Rhianna? I didn't realise the Inbetweeners dance was now the copyright of One Directions?

I like Union J but they are definitely more like One Direction than District3.
  • Options
    oxygenjjoxygenjj Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    comment wrote: »
    Covering a One Direction song doesn't make them more similar. All Time Low and McFly have covered Rihanna's Umbrella, does that make them similar to Rhianna? I didn't realise the Inbetweeners dance was now the copyright of One Directions?

And it's been reported they might sing together in the final
  • Options
    daniellejaynedaniellejayne Posts: 2,462
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

No because they didn't sing a direct copy. I'm not saying it's copyrighted to 1D but considering their fans pick apart every little thing UJ do to somehow claim they're copying One Direction I'm surprised they didn't pick up all the similarities D3 share with 1D.
    And last point, how?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    String9 wrote: »
    But then, the one who supposedly looks like Harry Styles was included to make them look more like 1D.

Yes there were boybands like 1D, but imo in the 60s and 70s. Their unique selling point is the fact that they're British/irish and they embrace everything British. They haven't gone for the 90s boyband (Backstreet boys, Nsync, 5ive NKOTB) sound and style.

The theme for the first album Up All Night was about 5 college preppies, while the new album celebrates being british, the 5 red london phone boxes are now part of their set design.

It would be interesting to see what UJ come up with, because at this moment, I don't get it. They do have their work cut out for them, considering how successful 1D have become in such a short period. Most artists can only dream of ending the year with a sold out concert at Madison Square Garden.:cool:

The fact is their music is nothing original or unique, it's been done over and over. I'm not saying it's a bad thing at all because the boyband formula obviously works and it something works perfectly fine why change it? but when their fans try call them original etc... just no they're really not.

I'm a fan of Union J but I can admit to seeing similarities between them and One Direction, their styling is definitely one but Union j haven't even started making music yet so it's difficult to compare that, but to say they're cloning them is just stupid, all boy bands are going to have similarities it doesn't mean any of them are 'copying' each other.

Oh and George looks nothing like Harry, it's actually mostly 1D fans saying he does though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,691
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

In just the same way I dont get Union J, I dont get 1D. They are a bunch of pretty boys, average singers singing average songs. In just the same way that they have replaced similar manufactured bands in a couple of years they will be replaced by another band just like them that the kids will scream at. Music will carry on no better or worse for them not being around.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    No because they didn't sing a direct copy.

And last point, how?

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/A8kbadkCYAIIbVr.jpg ;)

I don't think anything anyone says will change your mind considering you are obviously a huge Union J fan. I feel deja vu every time I see their X Factor performance, too similar. The standing on boxes, jumping off boxes, everything!! The fact that only two sing. 1D all sing now but during X Factor it was basically the Liam and Harry show, like it's the Jaymi and Josh show with Union J.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

I don't think anything anyone says will change your mind considering you are obviously a huge Union J fan. I feel deja vu every time I see their X Factor performance, just like 1D. The standing on boxes, jumping off boxes, everything!! The fact that only two sing. (1D all sing now but during X Factor it was basically the Liam and Harry show)

I edited my last post.

AND OMG THEY BOTH WEAR CLOTHES! SHOCK.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,057
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One is a clone of the other. 1D was the original creation, and I think that is where UJ's biggest problem is and the reason most 1D fans preferred district 3.

That's so true. Most of the 1D fans I've come across on twitter don't like UJ too as they think there too similar to 1D.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 75
    Forum Member
    I prefer One Direction by miles. It's hard to like Union J when all I think when watching them is how the others are terrible compared to Jaymi. When people say Union J can sing better, it's only really Jaymi I would say was better.

THIS!!
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I edited my last post.

AND OMG THEY BOTH WEAR CLOTHES! SHOCK.

Funny how you say this when Union J's style is compared but you compared District 3's style to 1D and even compared a dance move...
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Funny how you say this when Union J's style is compared but you compared District 3's style to 1D and even compared a dance move...

When I compared styles I was comparing all 3 of the bands, i compared the dance move to show how stupid it looks when directioners are comparing every little aspect of what UJ do to claim they're copying them.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 5,671
    Forum Member

D3 are nothing like 1D imo, and tbh I haven't watched many of their stuff but even then I know D3 are easily the best out of the three, they are capable of so much more (harmonies, dance moves, stunt tricks, instruments...and the are fun and entertaining!). One thing I don't like about UJ is they rely too much on Jaymi. I prefer a band where all members can sing and harmonise well rather than lead singer + backing singers.
  • Options
    abrightyzabrightyz Posts: 24,559
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    LoveBug_x wrote: »
    1D aren't sex symbols apart from Zayn? hahaha what?!
    Okay then :P

i know, dear... lolz!!:p
  • Options
    xeoxeo Posts: 6,429
    Forum Member

I don't think anything anyone says will change your mind considering you are obviously a huge Union J fan. I feel deja vu every time I see their X Factor performance, too similar. The standing on boxes, jumping off boxes, everything!! The fact that only two sing. 1D all sing now but during X Factor it was basically the Liam and Harry show, like it's the Jaymi and Josh show with Union J.

Omg they both wore suits to a premiere event :eek::eek:
    George and Louis wore a striped t-shirt :eek::eek:
    They both wear onesies :eek:

They all sing, the only one who doesn't get solos is JJ but he's still a vital part of the group.

Union J already have a relatively big fanbase for a group so early in the career and I'm sure 1D aren't suffering from it, there's room for both of them. It's not like people can't be fans of more than one artist/band.

UJ do have chemistry together, you just need to watch their Twitcams for proof of that. Just because they aren't being forced on us like 1D was in 2010 it doesn't mean they're the lesser group.

I like 1D too by the way, both their albums are great.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    One is a clone of the other. 1D was the original creation, and I think that is where UJ's biggest problem is and the reason most 1D fans preferred district 3.

^^THIS.;)

i prefer district 3 as they have a style of their own that is different from MY 1D!!:D:cool:

so i can like them in my and their own terms...:sleep::sleep:
  • Options
    BluestoneBluestone Posts: 2,253
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    diamond1 wrote: »
    except the Backstreet Boys and N'sync could also dance

1D are more like Boyzone formed more for their looks than vocal/dancing talent

Sorry? Boyzone were formed for their looks? I dont understand.:confused:
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

take it from me who actually like 1D...;)

to others, a child may look like any other child... but to a mum who loves him, she knows the "little things" that set him apart from all other boys of the same age and wearing the same uniform...:sleep::sleep:
  • Options
    Dreammaster695Dreammaster695 Posts: 1,353
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    he probally dances to westlife...
  • Options
    oxygenjjoxygenjj Posts: 18,290
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    _elly001 wrote: »
    This should be an interesting thread...

Could say this thread is trending on this forum :eek: