Atheists reading the Bible

Comments

• CasdorCasdor Posts: 1,014
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I thought the atheist Bible was actually the website of the Amazing Randi and the JFEF forum. Perhaps it's the Richard Dawkin's best seller or the Chris Hitchen's books. I just think atheists have their own so-called Bible's to read.
  • crosscutcrosscut Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    wh666-666 wrote: »
    God told us to be fruitful and multiply....

Just like santa told kids to be good.
    Or Hermione Granger said Oculus Reparo.

In my opinion, if you "pay attention" to anything in the bible, you're a bit of a nut job.
  • KarlSomethingKarlSomething Posts: 3,529
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    We say God created us. Then we figure out we weren't created at all. Why isn't that the end of the story?

Hundreds of generations with indoctrination. It's why religion targets children (or at least why religions that target children are the biggest ones). Get them before they know any better.
  • Stiffy78Stiffy78 Posts: 26,260
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Casdor wrote: »
    I thought the atheist Bible was actually the website of the Amazing Randi and the JFEF forum. Perhaps it's the Richard Dawkin's best seller or the Chris Hitchen's books. I just think atheists have their own so-called Bible's to read.

Hilarious and very original. Congratulations.
  • crosscutcrosscut Posts: 202
    Forum Member
    It's why religion targets children (or at least why religions that target children are the biggest ones). Get them before they know any better.

So true. It's child abuse.
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,830
    Forum Member
    rivethead wrote: »
    I have to disagree with your definitions here Richard :D

Humans are indeed a product of natural selection itself, but humans selecting traits in organisms to propagate throughout subsequent generations isn't natural selection. Remember, natural selection isn't purpose driven, whereas ours is. It is artificial selection, or selective breeding. It's an entire field of biology!

:D I know; I was being a bit mischevious, I should apologise to havana actually. Sorry havana. :)
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read science books so it certainly is not strange for an atheist to read the bible. It is just expanding your mind and educating yoruself in the beliefs of others, even if you critically evaluate those beliefs. Without education we would still be cave men. I am planning on reading the Qur'an. So many people live by its word, it makes sense for me to what to know what it is all about. It's all very interesting really, whether you beleive in or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I read science books so it certainly is not strange for an atheist to read the bible. It is just expanding your mind and educating yoruself in the beliefs of others, even if you critically evaluate those beliefs. Without education we would still be cave men. I am planning on reading the Qur'an. So many people live by its word, it makes sense for me to what to know what it is all about. It's all very interesting really, whether you beleive in or not.

Well said ladymoanalot.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    crosscut wrote: »

In my opinion, if you "pay attention" to anything in the bible, you're a bit of a nut job.

That's pretty harsh....I was not well versed on the Bible in childhood and certainly haven't picked one up in years but I do know atheists and agnostics alike who do find value in the teachings of Jesus....they don't regard him as a Messiah or in a mythical sense but they can read the Sermon on the Mount and more of his teachings and find something in them they both respect and admire....I view Jesus as a great teacher...whether he is mythical or was a real person...
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,518
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I would also suggest the Tibetian Book of the Dead and the Kaballah...they both have a great deal to offer regardless of your beliefs and of course....The Gnostic Gospels which I find give more of a 3D view of Jesus than the Bible..they seem to go much deeper..
  • Richard46Richard46 Posts: 59,830
    Forum Member
    Mojorisin' wrote: »
    That's pretty harsh....I was not well versed on the Bible in childhood and certainly haven't picked one up in years but I do know atheists and agnostics alike who do find value in the teachings of Jesus....they don't regard him as a Messiah or in a mythical sense but they can read the Sermon on the Mount and more of his teachings and find something in them they both respect and admire....I view Jesus as a great teacher...whether he is mythical or was a real person...

For once I have to agree with you. Barring the stuff about salvation only through him and his father etc much of what Christ is reported to have said can be seen as fine humanist ethics and aspirations.
  • HogzillaHogzilla Posts: 24,116
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Mojorisin' wrote: »

I prefer Dumbledore. Better still, Gandalf. He has some cracking wisdom. Even as a fictional character, there's not a great deal of value in the NT - and what little there is, hugely contradicts every word of the OT so that invalidates it. I think people overstate its value as 'wisdom' or a blueprint of how to live your life.
  • wh666-666wh666-666 Posts: 1,562
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

As mojo said, maybe that's a bit harsh ...

However, you quoted me and think you may have thought Im christian, I was raised as one, but reject the faith and have no belief in it at all.
  • SULLASULLA Posts: 149,789
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭✭

That's must include both believers and non-believers then:)
  • MamboJimboMamboJimbo Posts: 4,382
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SULLA wrote: »
    That's must include both believers and non-believers then:)
    No, because non-believers don't pay attention to it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    MamboJimbo wrote: »
    No, because non-believers don't pay attention to it.

I do even though I don't believe it is based on actual events.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    I do even though I don't believe it is based on actual events.
    More fool you.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    More fool you.

More fool you if you don't. You don't think it's had and continues to have a huge impact on our society?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Stiffy78 wrote: »
    More fool you if you don't. You don't think it's had and continues to have a huge impact on our society?
    I couldn't give two shiny ones about its alleged impact.

I'm only concerned with whether it's true or not.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

How come?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭

Alleged impact? I'm sure you've heard of discriminatory Christian faith schools that we all have to pay for and of unelected Bishops in the Lords for starters?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    How come?
    Aren't you interested in whether things are true or not?
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aren't you interested in whether things are true or not?

Not really. I am a God believer, but do not think the goings on in the bible were true. Can we not all enjoy a bit of fiction?

It's history anyway, we will never know if it was true or not but some folk enjoy it and find it intriguing whilst others for whatever reason do understand it to be true and get some kind of peace from it.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not really. I am a God believer, but do not think the goings on in the bible were true. Can we not all enjoy a bit of fiction?

That seems to suggest that whatever you believe is fiction - i.e. that you know that what you believe is untrue.
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    That seems to suggest that whatever you believe is fiction - i.e. that you know that what you believe is untrue.

I think it highly likely the Bible is fiction. I do believe in higher power though.