Options

Things Tesco doesn't make an own brand of..

Comments

• Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,478
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Marmite.
    They do but it's called yeast extract.
  • Options
    skipjack79skipjack79 Posts: 3,250
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do but it's called yeast extract.

Indeed. I'm a big Marmite fan, but have never felt brave enough to pay the 20p or so less and try the SmartPrice Yeast Extract stuff. If anyone has tried it, I wouldn't mind hearing a brief review :D
  • Options
    digimon900digimon900 Posts: 4,249
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I just wish that it was possible to get a British Supermarket with British Goods here... I so miss Golden Syrup (which is considered illegal in some states)
  • Options
    phylo_roadkingphylo_roadking Posts: 21,339
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Aircraft Carriers.

Even the MOD sells those!
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    Own brand goods are usually goods that are made by another company and then get labelled differently. Quite often these companies also service more than one retailer and may even have their 'own' brand so to speak. Also, occasionally a company may have a batch that doesn't meet their particular quality control standards (the food is fine, but the quality may be slightly below par for whatever reason) or the cans are dented in a large number. It makes economical sense to sell those batches onto someone and they simply get relabelled.

Tescos don't sell own brand (or any brand for that matter) human brains. That's why you never see zombies in Tesco, other than the ones sat behind the tills. They do their shopping elsewhere.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Iqoniq wrote: »
    Own brand goods are usually goods that are made by another company and then get labelled differently.

When we lived in London my wife (now ex) used to work in a commercial bakery, she would sit in a line unwrapping Tescos 4 pack blueberry muffins, and 6 pack sultana scones, they went down a line where they were re-wrapped and re-dated with "No Frills" branding for Kwik Save...
    Unsliced Waitrose Bread was put through a slicer and re-labelled for Somerfield...
  • Options
    IqoniqIqoniq Posts: 6,299
    Forum Member
    digimon900 wrote: »
    When we lived in London my wife (now ex) used to work in a commercial bakery, she would sit in a line unwrapping Tescos 4 pack blueberry muffins, and 6 pack sultana scones, they went down a line where they were re-wrapped and re-dated with "No Frills" branding for Kwik Save...
    Unsliced Waitrose Bread was put through a slicer and re-labelled for Somerfield...

I know Christian Salvessen's does the main veg production for several supermarkets. Seachill used to do the fish for supermarket's that included Tesco and Sainsbury's. I had to spend a day in a Seachill factory in Grimsby (wasn't funny considering that I have a seafood allergy and can't even stand the smell of fish), and what I saw in terms of production values was shocking. One guy grocked a greeny onto the filleting line before saying to his mate "like anyone would notice with the crap on this belt...". Unfortunately, I wasn't there to do employee evaluations, but I'd have definitely had his job for that, and if fish weren't a no go zone before, they would have been after.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 4,953
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    They do have an own brand of this, but there really shouldn't be...Tesco Value Vodka
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SophStar wrote: »
    They do have an own brand of this, but there really shouldn't be...Tesco Value Vodka

Oh yeah... I forgot that British Supermarkets allow the sale of alcohol alongside groceries!
  • Options
    sarky sparksarky spark Posts: 505
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Tesco value Large hadron collliders.
  • Options
    phill363phill363 Posts: 24,313
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    SophStar wrote: »

actually tesco value vodka is ok mixed with lemonaide or coke
  • Options
    ubanjodubanjod Posts: 4,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Space Ships

But I do think Tesco will eventually take over the world and beyond.
  • Options
    paul2307paul2307 Posts: 8,079
    Forum Member
    I just wish that it was possible to get a British Supermarket with British Goods here... I so miss Golden Syrup (which is considered illegal in some states)

I know its way off topic so forgive me but why on earth is Golden Syrup illegal ? :confused:
  • Options
    this_is_methis_is_me Posts: 1,304
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Oh yeah... I forgot that British Supermarkets allow the sale of alcohol alongside groceries!

You can buy alcohol alongside groceries in most western countries. I've never seen anywhere outside the USA where you can buy guns in a supermarket, though.
  • Options
    MrOstentatiousMrOstentatious Posts: 2,713
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »
    I know its way off topic so forgive me but why on earth is Golden Syrup illegal ? :confused:

A quick google shows nothing. :confused:
  • Options
    GlenGlen Posts: 12,076
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    gomezz wrote: »
    Marmite.
    Tesco do sell an own brand yeast extract.
    Caxton wrote: »
    A supermarket version of Tampax
    Most supermarkets sell their own branded tampons and sanitary towels.
    daleman wrote: »
    Bounty bars
    Lidl have a coconut bar in fun-size packs. They also do equivalents of Mars, Snickers and Twix in full size bars.
    Iqoniq wrote: »
    I know Christian Salvessen's does the main veg production for several supermarkets.
    Salvesen were a haulage company, not a vegetable packer, but no longer exist as they were bought by Norbert Dentressangle.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    this_is_me wrote: »
    You can buy alcohol alongside groceries in most western countries. I've never seen anywhere outside the USA where you can buy guns in a supermarket, though.

New Jersey and Florida allow Alcohol alongside groceries, but in PA you must buy beer from a beer distributer and wines and spirits from the wines and spirits shoppe which is owned by the state liquor control board.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    paul2307 wrote: »

I am not sure but when you order from Expat/Brit shopping sites they say that it cannot be shipped to certain states as it's illegal due to licensing laws on sugar refinement and carriage.
  • Options
    marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    My brother used to work in a factory that put labels on cans of fish. John West, Princes and own label brands were all sent there to be labelled and packed, all delivered on the same pallets.
  • Options
    marietsmariets Posts: 1,262
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    New Jersey and Florida allow Alcohol alongside groceries, but in PA you must buy beer from a beer distributer and wines and spirits from the wines and spirits shoppe which is owned by the state liquor control board.

In NC, spirits can only be bought from a governement owned ABC and you must obtain a permit if you're buying a large amount for an occasion. plus it's illegal to have an open bottle in the car apart from locked in the boot. It's probably easier to get a gun!
  • Options
    SpoonfedVomitSpoonfedVomit Posts: 2,540
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electronic Items
    Christmas Cards
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    mariets wrote: »
    In NC, spirits can only be bought from a governement owned ABC and you must obtain a permit if you're buying a large amount for an occasion. plus it's illegal to have an open bottle in the car apart from locked in the boot. It's probably easier to get a gun!

Its exactly the same here in PA, only you could buy your large amount a small bit at a time. The wines and spirits shops have started linking up electronically, and every transaction they swipe the magnetic stripe on your ID or drivers license to stop people visiting several shops in the same day. A lot of people ask me to borrow my license so they can buy for their parties...
  • Options
    BartackBartack Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Gold and diamonds.
  • Options
    BartackBartack Posts: 1,368
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Glen wrote: »
    Lidl have a coconut bar in fun-size packs. They also do equivalents of Mars, Snickers and Twix in full size bars.

Lidl isn't Tesco.
  • Options
    ubanjodubanjod Posts: 4,000
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Electronic Items
    Christmas Cards

Technika for electricals

Christmas cards (among others) : http://www.tescovaluecards.com/ :D