• Options
    bluebladeblueblade Posts: 88,859
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About £150k & no mortgage.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    36K Including the 2K piece I am wearing around my neck which is solid gold so yes it does count.
    Are you off the travellers?

I only ask because I read a while back that travellers traditionally invested their money in gold jewellery that non-travellers might regard as being a bit garish. Since they were always travelling, they couldn't very well put money in a bank.
    I saved most of that during my time in the Army I am 32 also I still live with my parents. :)
    I bet that impresses the girls!
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 252
    Forum Member
    Savings ! Are you having a laugh ?

I can only just about get through a month let alone saving any
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22,736
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Why is someone getting a hard time for being in their 30's and still living with their mum and dad?

Everyone might be happy with that. I lived with mine until 27.
  • Options
    andersonsonsonandersonsonson Posts: 6,454
    Forum Member
  • Options
    SherbetLemonSherbetLemon Posts: 4,073
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlizzardUK wrote: »
    I was feeling pretty bad today about being 33 and having less than £1000 in savings
    If it makes you feel better, I have a 33-yr-old sibling who has never saved a penny in their life (other than the child savings account I set up and funded for them when I worked in a bank, but that was soon gone!).
  • Options
    AndrueAndrue Posts: 23,366
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Not far off 20k and rising by at least 1k a month at the moment.

The advantages of not having a mortgage or a family to support :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    absolutely **** all atm

28 years old

/sadface
  • Options
    Chewy DuckChewy Duck Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    None at the moment, but I do own my house outright though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 17,123
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    1p ::o:o
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    The downside of accumulating serious capital, is that it takes many many years of hard work, frugal living, and hardly ever going out to really enjoy yourself. It's only much later that you gradually start to reap the benefits, and feel the freedom of independence.
  • Options
    abarthmanabarthman Posts: 8,501
    Forum Member
    Why is someone getting a hard time for being in their 30's and still living with their mum and dad?
    http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51WHyF5MZSL._SL500_AA300_.jpg
  • Options
    EyeOfTheStormEyeOfTheStorm Posts: 1,496
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    blueblade wrote: »
    The downside of accumulating serious capital, is that it takes many many years of hard work, frugal living, and hardly ever going out to really enjoy yourself. It's only much later that you gradually start to reap the benefits, and feel the freedom of independence.

But by then you are too old to enjoy it.;)
  • Options
    Chewy DuckChewy Duck Posts: 479
    Forum Member
    Why keep 150k+ in the bank when its just loosing value?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But by then you are too old to enjoy it.;)

You'd think so wouldn't you, especially when young, but actually not true.
  • Options
    Pet1986Pet1986 Posts: 7,701
    Forum Member
    I have less than 8k now, when made redundant in Sept i had about 18k but as its become obvious work wasnt something i was going to walk into i paid off some credit car debts, the last of a residudal uni loan and paid off my new car and increased some insurance policies and my pension left my flat and returned home to save money. I'm 27.
  • Options
    DarthchaffinchDarthchaffinch Posts: 7,558
    Forum Member
    About 35k, but just bought a house so most of that is accounted for, and here you have to fork out several grand every so often for house painting or waterproofing.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 2,570
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Chewy Duck wrote: »
    Why keep 150k+ in the bank when its just loosing value?

wherever you keep it, it loses value.

At least in the bank you can stem that a bit with a high (ish) interest rate
  • Options
    CroctacusCroctacus Posts: 18,298
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    I have £5.83 left in the bank account I just changed from. No savings though.
  • Options
    ladydragonladydragon Posts: 3,386
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    BlizzardUK wrote: »
    I was feeling pretty bad today about being 33 and having less than £1000 in savings, as the older I get the more I should have thought about saving and have only just thought about it properly, guess that is the curse of being single and without kids, you forget responsibilities more.

Once the kids come along, a pair of school shoes or a crazy amount of food in the fridge always wins over saving...

Current savings = zip, nada, centre of a donut... But, I'm a crazy mature student on a pretty desperate student income...
    I saved most of that during my time in the Army I am 32 also I still live with my parents. :)

I think I'll cry if I haven't 'moved on' my rugrats by your age... :D
    brillopad wrote: »
    Someone once said to me buy the best you can afford - took most of my life to appreciate that - I bought this that and the other without regard - either broke or I found I didn't really want or need it.

I'm also guilty of that and have reached a stage where I question 'need' a lot more... Nice post... :)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 1,481
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    About £3k in savings, but I intend this to be up to £5k by this time next year as I start to put away about £200 a month following a pay rise.

This may sound selfish, but I know I have a substantial inheritance coming to me, so have been enjoying my money rather than saving it (I'm 34). As the cliche goes - you can't take it with you...
  • Options
    Richard1960Richard1960 Posts: 20,344
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    coxy0211 wrote: »
    About £3k in savings, but I intend this to be up to £5k by this time next year as I start to put away about £200 a month following a pay rise.

This may sound selfish, but I know I have a substantial inheritance coming to me, so have been enjoying my money rather than saving it (I'm 34). As the cliche goes - you can't take it with you...

Hope your inheritance comes and is not left to a charity i would never count my chickens on that front.! But am relying on myself to salt some cash away for later.:)

I agree with the cliche though there are many a rich dead person the the cemetary.!;)
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 917
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    27 and just under 8K. That is being ear marked for the time when enough becomes enough and I decide to quit the job and go travelling. Until then, i'll keep putting as much as I can away each month.
  • Options
    johnnybgoode83johnnybgoode83 Posts: 8,908
    Forum Member
    I'm 28 and have about 7000 quid across 3 accounts and I have no debt and a property.