Options

Storms hit the UK?

Ray ProudfootRay Proudfoot Posts: 131
Forum Member
I've put a question mark in the title because I'm confused about how many 'storms' have hit the UK today.

Looking at any pressure chart shows a single deep depression crossing the UK today. One storm. So why do the BBC and others always refer to 'storms'? It's annoying!

And I also notice the metric obsessed BBC strangely switched back to imperial today to report '100mph' winds. Funny how they didn't report 161kph winds. Doesn't have the same ring does it? :rolleyes:

Comments

• Options
    mossy2103mossy2103 Posts: 84,308
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I've put a question mark in the title because I'm confused about how many 'storms' have hit the UK today.

Looking at any pressure chart shows a single deep depression crossing the UK today. One storm. So why do the BBC and others always refer to 'storms'?
    Maybe because some places (such as my area) did not get a storm at all, which suggests that the area of stormy weather was not uniform across the country (i.e was broken up into smaller parts or storms).

Or maybe you are being too literal or pedantic.

And I also notice the metric obsessed BBC strangely switched back to imperial today to report '100mph' winds. Funny how they didn't report 161kph winds. Doesn't have the same ring does it?
    They have never reported wind speeds in metric as far as I know, neither do their weather forecasters (the charts always show wind speeds in mph). Indeed, the BBC generally never refer to kilometres, they always refer to miles (unless perhaps it is in a BBC World News report for world consumption). No, the BBC are not "metric obsessed" as far as I am aware, and as far as I have seen (and I'm an old-school feet and inches man).
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    I've been working on commercial radio news today, we've been referring to them as "storms", just like the BBC has. That is what the met office is telling us to say when we ask them.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    And I also notice the metric obsessed BBC strangely switched back to imperial today to report '100mph' winds. Funny how they didn't report 161kph winds.
    Not a BBC obsession, as winds are rarely quoted in kph in th UK, almost always mph or knots (in more technical fields).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mossy2103 wrote: »
    Maybe because some places (such as my area) did not get a storm at all, which suggests that the area of stormy weather was not uniform across the country (i.e was broken up into smaller parts or storms).

Or maybe you are being too literal or pedantic.
    Whether or not your area was affected by the storm is immaterial. A single storm crossed the country. It did not break up into multiple cells.

I'm not being pedantic. If we were hit by a hurricane would it be reported that hurricanes had hit the UK? No, of course not. It's about being factually correct.
    They have never reported wind speeds in metric as far as I know, neither do their weather forecasters (the charts always show wind speeds in mph). Indeed, the BBC generally never refer to kilometres, they always refer to miles (unless perhaps it is in a BBC World News report for world consumption). No, the BBC are not "metric obsessed" as far as I am aware, and as far as I have seen (and I'm an old-school feet and inches man).
    Therein lies the mess that we have in the UK with iconsistent use of measurements. Frozen Planet often referred to metric distances. I'd much rather hear miles, feet and inches but sadly it's more often kilometers, meters etc.

They may not use kilometers for wind speed but they do use the metric equivalent for temperature and pressure. A real mish mash if ever there was one.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    mikw wrote: »
    I've been working on commercial radio news today, we've been referring to them as "storms", just like the BBC has. That is what the met office is telling us to say when we ask them.

Sorry but they're wrong. It is a single area of low pressure - a storm. How can it be changed into the plural?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    albertd wrote: »
    Not a BBC obsession, as winds are rarely quoted in kph in th UK, almost always mph or knots (in more technical fields).

But they give you temperatures almost always in Celcius and rarely in Fahrenheit. It's only a matter of time before kph creeps in. Mark my words!
  • Options
    lundavralundavra Posts: 31,790
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    But they give you temperatures almost always in Celcius and rarely in Fahrenheit. It's only a matter of time before kph creeps in. Mark my words!

Why confuse people, anyone interested in meteorology will be using knots, the majority of the rest of the population are more familiar with mph.

Whenever someone in the media tried ot use metric measurements for PC reasons they nearly always get at least one conversion wrong, often very wrong.
  • Options
    zx50zx50 Posts: 91,270
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    Quite windy in my local area today but not gale/storm standard though.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 10,271
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Seemed to come and go where I am today, really severe wind/rain for a while then dying out, then returning with severe again later.

No objection to the plural 'storms'.
  • Options
    stevvy1986stevvy1986 Posts: 7,088
    Forum Member
    Sounds like nothing more than someone making a fuss over nothing.
  • Options
    albertdalbertd Posts: 14,361
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    Maybe, maybe not. However this thread is about now, not the future.
  • Options
    broonalebroonale Posts: 5,472
    Forum Member
    Just to add to it. Some meteorologists are starting to use pressure in hectopascals (hPa) too now instead of millibars (mb). Both are exactly the same (I use hPa anyway).

(Those aviation enthusiasts or frequents flyers may have noticed this)
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    I'm not being pedantic.
    No, I think that you are:

pedantic adjective

Definition
    giving too much attention to formal rules or small details

Frozen Planet often referred to metric distances.
    It was a joint production with foreign broadcasters, so it would not be unusual to quote SI units.
    They may not use kilometers for wind speed but they do use the metric equivalent for temperature and pressure. A real mish mash if ever there was one.
    Then blame past Governments for not mandating a full metric system, or the Met Office who DO use those mixtures. As does every other UK broadcaster and weather bureau.. So why single out the BBC.

Oh, and millibars have been used for years (at least as far back as the 1960's), again coming from Met Office forecasts,

Good grief, there are more important things in life to get worked up about, this is NOT one of them.
  • Options
    mikwmikw Posts: 48,715
    Forum Member
    Sorry but they're wrong. It is a single area of low pressure - a storm. How can it be changed into the plural?

If i'm wrong, so are the met office and so are the media.
  • Options
    [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 22
    Forum Member
    stevvy1986 wrote: »
    Sounds like nothing more than someone making a fuss over nothing.

Storm in a teacup:)
  • Options
    ftvftv Posts: 31,668
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    There were some rather worrying pictures on the News Channel of BBC Pacific Quay in Glasgow which appeared to be sinking beneath the Clyde. Have we heard from BBC Scotland since yesterday ?
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    It was a joint production with foreign broadcasters, so it would not be unusual to quote SI units.

But weren't some of those foreign broadcasters American? I would not think they would want metric units though they might have their own sound track anyway.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good point, I know that the Discovery Channel was involved in the production, maybe other non-US broadcasters were? Or maybe kilometres were used as, being part of the internationally-agreed SI system (i.e an international language for units of measurement), they are an internationally-recognised unit of length.
  • Options
    davidmcndavidmcn Posts: 12,111
    Forum Member
    ✭✭
    But they give you temperatures almost always in Celcius and rarely in Fahrenheit. It's only a matter of time before kph creeps in.

It must be an incredibly slow creep, given the BBC have used a combination of celsius and mph on their weather maps since the 1970s.
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    davidmcn wrote: »
    It must be an incredibly slow creep, given the BBC have used a combination of celsius and mph on their weather maps since the 1970s.

As I understand it, and from memory and my A-Level Physics work, they started by moving to Centigrade, then some years later made the move to the Celsius scale, which is more correct, being based upon Absolute Zero (0 degrees Kelvin), or -273.15 degrees Celsius, rather than just -273 degrees Centigrade (that 0.15 of a degree makes all the difference it seems ;))
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    A good point, I know that the Discovery Channel was involved in the production, maybe other non-US broadcasters were? Or maybe kilometres were used as, being part of the internationally-agreed SI system (i.e an international language for units of measurement), they are an internationally-recognised unit of length.

Kilometres might be an international agreed SI system but I suspect that it will not mean much to many Americans just as people in this country will be mostly thinking in miles and mentally converting from kilometres to miles (often incorrectly).
  • Options
    Forum Member
    ✭✭✭
    lundavra wrote: »
    Kilometres might be an international agreed SI system but I suspect that it will not mean much to many Americans just as people in this country will be mostly thinking in miles and mentally converting from kilometres to miles (often incorrectly).
    Whilst not knowing the American market, I would agree there. Having said that, it might demonstrate that the programme was not tailored for the US market (as evidenced perhaps by the final programme regarding how the climate has changed not being shown by the US networks).
  • Options
    d'@ved'@ve Posts: 45,531
    Forum Member

Because an area of low pressure isn't a storm, it's an area of low pressure (a "low"). Or a depression. It may produce a storm, but storm isn't defined tightly like say a hurricane is (though storm force winds are defined). Storm has several related meanings and can refer to the wind strength, and/or or the associated heavy rain, thunder, lightning in any combination and isn't limited to winds of storm force. They can also occur in pockets - each pocket being a storm in its own right (sometimes a storm within a storm).

Also, some of the stormy conditions were generated by proximity to the depression centre while others were generated far away by the passage of a clearly defined squall line associated with a rapidly moving front, or in the lee of mountains which can suck high level high winds down to the surface, or by simply being on a coast facing into the wind.

Unlike a hurricane, these conditions were far from uniform both geographically and in time, storms is a good way to describe the situation yesterday IMO.
  • Options
    JamesBsheppardJamesBsheppard Posts: 341
    Forum Member
    Using Imperial measurement is an outdated form of measurement,the world of science uses metric & schools have been teaching it in preference to Imperial since the 70's.I would rather the BBC used only Metric it's the system I was taught in school & therefore makes much more sense to me.
  • Options
    commsengcommseng Posts: 5,569
    Forum Member
    My understanding is that the whole of the UK is going metric inch by inch.